Spain trip

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Mail-order bride? Of course, I’m assuming that you, like me, got married way before there was an internet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I had 5 copper projects in Russia and 2 in Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan. Met her on my first project in Moscow in 1989 and we started dating in 2004. Long story. I'm now in Moscow, coming back Monday.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know how much credence to give it, but Shembari's got me raising my eyebrows a bit on this trip, at least from stat lines only.

I agree. He is playing hard, smart and under control. Looks like the player we hoped for but have yet to see. Hope this can carry over into the season.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Asanti Price seems to be contributing well for TFr with only a summer with the team.

We could be VERY guard rich if that carries over to the season and Phillips corner turn isn't just a mirage. Especially so if Parham gets a waiver.

Kinda disappointed Moses play from the end of last season hasn't carried over, but these games are set up weird.

I think we all are excited about Usher and what he could do for us Love his game.

Happy to hear Cole is contributing at a good clip.

IF we can stay healthy, this is easily a bubble if not a "last in" type team for the NCAA.

Counting my chickens a bit, but dare I say, I'm actually half excited for this season.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Asanti Price seems to be contributing well for TFr with only a summer with the team.

We could be VERY guard rich if that carries over to the season and Phillips corner turn isn't just a mirage. Especially so if Parham gets a waiver.

Kinda disappointed Moses play from the end of last season hasn't carried over, but these games are set up weird.

I think we all are excited about Usher and what he could do for us Love his game.

Happy to hear Cole is contributing at a good clip.

IF we can stay healthy, this is easily a bubble if not a "last in" type team for the NCAA.

Counting my chickens a bit, but dare I say, I'm actually half excited for this season.
I believe Moses is nursing an injury sustained in practice and not playing but will be ready to roll by November.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
From the +/- stat it is clear that Pastner played two distinct units, subbing five for five: the starting unit of Alvarado-Devoe-Moore-Usher-Banks and they were replaced as a group with Parham-Phillips-Price-Sjolund-Cole.

The starters were outscored by 4 points and the subs outscored Madrid by 20. Only seven assists by Gt the entire game.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Having seen GT teams and players look like world champions when they play lower-level college teams, and then look like cellar dwellers when they play in the ACC, I take nothing from this trip. I suppose it's better than losing these games though...that would be even worse.....

bos

Helluva Engineer
I agree. Even though the competition is not very good, the positive of this trip is definitely the extra practice and team bonding. It's great for Pastner to see how well his 3 new guys fit in.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The team for game 3 was supposed to be a stronger group than what GT played against in the first 2 games.

I've been very pleased with the consistency of Usher and Phillips on this trip. All 3 games so far they have been around 10 pts give or take a basket. Phillips has hit multiple 3-pt shots in every game so far. Usher has had alot of assists, suggesting he could be a real catalyst at the offensive end with his penetration abilities.

If Phillips can play like this when the season starts for real then Parham's waiver is not nearly as important and you could even make a case that if he didn't get it, it would be better long term as it would mean Phillips gives us what we expected from Parham this year and then you get 2 years of Parham starting next year with Devoe. Price has been solid as well for a T-Fr.

Cole has been very good on this trip as well so far. 8, 14, and 19 pts in his 3 games. We need him to stay healthy this year - he has been unable to do so his first 2 years, hopefully that changes this year.
Sjolund has had 2 good games out of 3. He is reminding me a little of Hunter Tyson of Clemson from their performance at the World University Games last month. Tall guy that can hit threes and will have some games where he has a huge impact and probably some games where he has little impact.

In referece to the poster above, Moses is not playing on this trip, recovering from an injury.

It feels like Moore has fallen behind Usher and Sjolund in terms of production so far.

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree. Even though the competition is not very good, the positive of this trip is definitely the extra practice and team bonding. It's great for Pastner to see how well his 3 new guys fit in.

Agree that the competition is far from ACC caliber, but they are European pro players. Just as Ben Lammers and Q Stephens are playing pro ball in Spain. So they don’t necessarily have the size, talent or coaching of our team, but we are not playing a pick up squad from the local Y either.

I agree with your point that the real benefit is the 10 extra practices, and even more importantly the bonding of shared experiences between our players.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
For those that have watched - did we play zone or man on defense? And on O did we run Princeton based sets or just try to push and take first available? Not going to read much into it but curious

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think it's interesting that one unit had two players who seem to have been shut down (Moore and Devoe) by the Spanish defense. Did they sub like we did?

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
If Phillips can play like this when the season starts for real then Parham's waiver is not nearly as important and you could even make a case that if he didn't get it, it would be better long term as it would mean Phillips gives us what we expected from Parham this year and then you get 2 years of Parham starting next year with Devoe. Price has been solid as well for a T-Fr.

Staggering the year of departure for Alvarado and Parham would certainly benefit the program (except for this year). Having Parham for a Senior year after Alvarado has moved on would help the "Get old, Stay old" cause. I am not going to sweat the waiver deal as there are pluses and minuses to either scenario. But if the lightbulb has turned on for Phillips, then I fall on the side of hoping Parham does not get the waiver. Parham would then replace Phillips in the line-up next season.

Wright being out for this trip may have had the benefit of getting Cole some confidence. But we need Wright back, the player that I think has the biggest upside on the squad.

On a tangent, From the photos, that looks like a real nice trip!

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Is there anything to take away from this trip as far as lineups go? What are we thinking the starting lineup/rotation will look like this year?

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
The team for game 3 was supposed to be a stronger group than what GT played against in the first 2 games.

I've been very pleased with the consistency of Usher and Phillips on this trip. All 3 games so far they have been around 10 pts give or take a basket. Phillips has hit multiple 3-pt shots in every game so far. Usher has had alot of assists, suggesting he could be a real catalyst at the offensive end with his penetration abilities.

Cole has been very good on this trip as well so far. 8, 14, and 19 pts in his 3 games. We need him to stay healthy this year - he has been unable to do so his first 2 years, hopefully that changes this year.
Sjolund has had 2 good games out of 3. He is reminding me a little of Hunter Tyson of Clemson from their performance at the World University Games last month. Tall guy that can hit threes and will have some games where he has a huge impact and probably some games where he has little impact.

In referece to the poster above, Moses is not playing on this trip, recovering from an injury.

It feels like Moore has fallen behind Usher and Sjolund in terms of production so far.

You think Bubba will start next year with Devoe? How so?