Spain trip

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
May see more of a two PF offense with Wright and cole . Wooten used that at UCLA btween Alcindor and Walton. Not saying we are even close to that talent but we have length with those guys. Wright more athletic but if cole can hit his jumper then he should get shots on the baseline and can go high low with those two. I want to see more high screens this year if we get those waivers but I am not getting my hopes up on that.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
To clarify it was the year between Alcindor and Walton. It was Wicks and Rowe at PF. They kept the win streak going.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Offense isn't really an issue for who plays the 5. Myriad of ways we can script an offense with whatever talent you have.

The issue is on defense. At some level the 5 has to protect the rim and rebound. Some of that you can do by committee but the offensive spread the 3 point line brings really make that difficult. So far under CJP our calling card has been defense and that has been anchored by Lammers and now Banks.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Offense isn't really an issue for who plays the 5. Myriad of ways we can script an offense with whatever talent you have.

The issue is on defense. At some level the 5 has to protect the rim and rebound. Some of that you can do by committee but the offensive spread the 3 point line brings really make that difficult. So far under CJP our calling card has been defense and that has been anchored by Lammers and now Banks.

I think Wright could hold the fort.

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow

Totally agree. You need size to defend inside, rebound, block/alter shots, etc.
While size and an effective center helps on offense (score inside, offensive rebounding, make teams collapse so you can kick out for open 3's, etc), it is not as important as on defensive end. You can design an offense to get good shots without a traditional center.

When Banks is on the court, he is the '5'. The best option we have right now to play that role when Banks is out is Wright.
It is critical that CJP sign someone to fill this position in the upcoming recruiting class.

Wright showed he can block shots and rebound - and (based on last year) is better for us offensively when closer to the basket (and not shooting 3's).
Most likely Cole or Usher get most of the minutes at the 4 when Wright goes to the center spot.

I can see Cole playing minutes at the 5, but likely with Usher also on the court as the 4. I am not sure Moore/Shoujland can defend well in man-to-man against ACC calliber inside players (would need to be in the zone) - but I will wait to see how the improved from last year. The both could play the '4' spot depending on the matchup. Didenko is an unknown - I need to see Didenko play a couple times .... CJP has said he is better than they thought ... but I am unsure of his skill set at this time.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think Wright could hold the fort.

Originally I thought it would be Cole but have come to the conclusion/realization that Wright has the explosiveness required to have a shot at doing it. Long as the other team doesn't have a "true" on the block guy (aka Charles Mitchell) he should be OK. Runs into a wide body with some skills on the block I worry about his bulk and likely fouls. Not nearly as many of those around anymore though.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Totally agree. You need size to defend inside, rebound, block/alter shots, etc.
While size and an effective center helps on offense (score inside, offensive rebounding, make teams collapse so you can kick out for open 3's, etc), it is not as important as on defensive end. You can design an offense to get good shots without a traditional center.

When Banks is on the court, he is the '5'. The best option we have right now to play that role when Banks is out is Wright.
It is critical that CJP sign someone to fill this position in the upcoming recruiting class.

Wright showed he can block shots and rebound - and (based on last year) is better for us offensively when closer to the basket (and not shooting 3's).
Most likely Cole or Usher get most of the minutes at the 4 when Wright goes to the center spot.

I can see Cole playing minutes at the 5, but likely with Usher also on the court as the 4. I am not sure Moore/Shoujland can defend well in man-to-man against ACC calliber inside players (would need to be in the zone) - but I will wait to see how the improved from last year. The both could play the '4' spot depending on the matchup. Didenko is an unknown - I need to see Didenko play a couple times .... CJP has said he is better than they thought ... but I am unsure of his skill set at this time.
I have inside information that Didenko will be fine. My wife is Russian.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess that Wright *could* play the 5 but I think it is taking him away from his area of strength, which is his mobility, ranginess, and ability to close out. I just don't see Wright being at his strength trying to belly-up players sitting in the post or trying to hold rebound position against guys with strength and thickness.

Similarly, Cole seems more like a natural 4 to me also, although with Cole, his development has been slower. Maybe he can show us a developing post player's skill set. But, I'm not counting on it.

Didenko looks pretty thick and strong, but not long. He might be able to hold his ground down low, but long or bouncy players will go right over him. I look forward to seeing him play to determine if his game translates in the ACC.

The obvious answer is to bring in a better option for the 5. If we can't lure viable high school players at this juncture, then we need to land another transfer.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
So far it seems to be a fun trip.Very hard to sayif it means much except a bunch of guys are getting game exp which is good.Without total stats it is a guess on real efficiency except for FTs % which looks weak-below 60%

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I have inside information that Didenko will be fine. My wife is Russian.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Mail-order bride? Of course, I’m assuming that you, like me, got married way before there was an internet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
How hard can it be to convince a Big to play for your school when you're promising them guaranteed ACC minutes Freshman year??? I hope the transfer wire and waiver granters/graduate transfers are kind to us next year because it seems like we're striking out on all our big man targets in this next class.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
What year does CJP start being totally responsible for the basketball program, this year or next year or other?

This year is the first year he had a hand in recruiting all 4 years of players. There are minor things like the current senior class being the transition class, and potential redshirt seniors, but that impact is so minimal it doesn't make much of a difference. I'd say this team is the first one we had that he really put together.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
With our luck we
So far it seems to be a fun trip.Very hard to sayif it means much except a bunch of guys are getting game exp which is good.Without total stats it is a guess on real efficiency except for FTs % which looks weak-below 60%

Any look at the stats for this trip are fools gold. Even FT shooting as fools iron pyrite. This is a fun trip for them to bond, get a little bit of work in and send a gradu load of pictures to recruits of what playing BB at Tech would be like. Last year it was the hip hop concert - this year the trip to Spain. While we beyotch about some things in the BB budget, they are doing a lot of things right.

Back to the realities - so far this is like Team Loaded playing down in a USBA tournament. Lot of fun and showing off but you won't learn anything about players or rotations or anything like that. Tomorrow they may run into a legit semi pro team and we see how they react or they may still be playing down in competition. No problem either way as long as you treat it for what it is.