Spain trip

GT_EE78

Banned
From ramblinwreck:

Alvarado, who scored 17 of his 20 points in the fourth quarter, helped secure the game for the Yellow Jackets with six free throws over the final 1:49. The junior hit two three-point field goals and went 9-for-9 from the foul line in the period.

Devoe, a sophomore, was the spark plug in the third period, scoring eight points on baskets from close range, then added two more (including a three) in the fourth to finish with a team-high 21 points.

Tech went 10-of-17 from the floor after intermission, including 8-of-17 from three-point range, in scoring 60 points, its highest-scoring half of the week, and forced 12 opponent turnovers. The Jackets went 10-of-11 from the free throw line in the final period.

Khalid Moore was the only other Jacket in double figures, scoring 12 points on 5-of-6 shooting, while freshman Asanti Price added nine, including a pair of threes.

https://ramblinwreck.com/jackets-complete-4-0-trip-to-spain/

GT_EE78

Banned
From ramblinwreck:

Alvarado, who scored 17 of his 20 points in the fourth quarter, helped secure the game for the Yellow Jackets with six free throws over the final 1:49. The junior hit two three-point field goals and went 9-for-9 from the foul line in the period.

Devoe, a sophomore, was the spark plug in the third period, scoring eight points on baskets from close range, then added two more (including a three) in the fourth to finish with a team-high 21 points.

Tech went 10-of-17 from the floor after intermission, including 8-of-17 from three-point range, in scoring 60 points, its highest-scoring half of the week, and forced 12 opponent turnovers. The Jackets went 10-of-11 from the free throw line in the final period.

Khalid Moore was the only other Jacket in double figures, scoring 12 points on 5-of-6 shooting, while freshman Asanti Price added nine, including a pair of threes.

87-83 box score at link

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sort of glad they really got tested at least once. Get a chance to see how they react. In a crunch time situation I would expect Jose and Mike to be the ones to really step up and it sounds like they did today.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Generally in these types of games you are going to play a bigger rotation and give more playing time to some of the players you know less about to see how they react. I didn't watch any games but it sounds like Pastner was almost doing hockey lines in these games.

It is interesting to see how well spread out the scoring was through the trip. If we can get some consistent scoring from secondary players that will help a player like Jose alot as he won't feel the need to push for scoring as much and will likely lead to better efficiency from him as well. Until the last game he seemed pretty willing to let others score.

Here are a few key stats for the 4 games for the players
Devoe - 12.25 ppg, 3 double figure games, 8 threes, 3-5 FT
Cole - 11.75 ppg, 2 double figure games (8 and 6 in the other 2), 2 threes, 7-10 FT
Alvarado - 10.5 ppg, 2 double figure games (and 8 in another), 7 threes, 11-13 FT
Banks - 10 ppg, 2 double figure games (8 in another), 1 three, 7-13 FT
Phillips - 9.5 ppg, 2 double figure games (and 8 in another), 7 threes, 4-4 FT
Usher - 9.25 ppg, 2 double figures games (9 and 6 in the other 2), 2 threes, 5-10 FT
Price - 9.25 ppg, 1 double figure game (9, 8, and 7 in the other three), 6 threes, 1-2 FT
Sjolund - 7.5 ppg, 2 double figure games, 4 threes, 6-8 FT
Moore - 6.75 ppg, 1 double figure game (8 in another), 1 three, 4-10 FT
Parham - 5.5 ppg, 0 double figure games (8 twice and 6 once), 4 threes, 0-2 FT

As a team they hit 42 threes and everybody has at least 1. Devoe made 8, Jose and Shembari 7, Price 6, Parham and Sjolund 4.
48-77 FT as a team - 62.3%. Pitt and Clemson in their summer games hit 57.5% and 63.0% respectively.
Shembari was the only player to make a three in every game and made 2 in three games.
Jose made at least 2 threes in 3 games.
Devoe made 8 in 3 games.
Price and Sjolund also made at least 1 three in 3 games.

Sjolund was feast or famine with 2 big scoring games and 2 games were he wasn't a factor offensively. I liked that he didn't rely on his shot to score. Only 12 of his 30 pts came from 3 land. He also had 12 pts inside the line and 6 from the FT line.

Usher was very consistent with between 6 and 12 pts every game. Was also mentioned he had alot of assists. His ability to attack the basket with his size should be very helpful to the offense and will create opportunities for his teammates.

if Shembari can play this way against ACC level competition then GT is going to have a really strong guard rotation.
Price's numbers are pretty good for an incoming FR.

Banks, Usher and Moore need to do a better job of making FT. I could see at least one of Sjolund or Cole getting playing time late in tight contests due to their offensive games and ability to hit FT's.

Hopefully this will be a good experience for the team and allow them to get off to a fast start as they have 5 games against power conference teams (3 on the road) in the first 5 weeks of the season. Not having Usher for those early games is a bummer, hopefully this will help others to step up and be confident.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
From ramblinwreck:

Watched the replay earlier this morning. This was by far the best team that we played during the tour. They were older and savy and had some skill.

In the first half, we were flat at the start - I can understand why, it was the fourth game in six days sandwiched with tourist stuff. There was a bit of sloppy play, but I didn't think that we played all that poorly. It was mostly the shots just weren't falling, and the refs were allowing very physical play. It took us a while to adjust to the physicality and lack of calls. The whistle got better in the second half.

If you want to get excited about what this season could look like, go back and watch our second half performance in this game. The D was swarming, forcing turnovers all over the court and the offense looked crisp. The 3 ball was a weapon for us, but it wasn't all about the 3pt shot. Simply put, Mike & Jose took over. If we can get this version of Mike D throughout the season, we are in for a treat.

He was ballin...He knocked down 3's, rebounded, drove the lane and finished, and played great D. Maybe it was my Gold colored glasses, but he just seems to be SO much more confident than he did year ago. Jose looked like the junior team leader that he is, he never got rattled after a slow start, and he set the tone early in the third period. He knocked down some big shots and also had some really passes as well.

Couple of other observations:
Asanti Price looks like he is going to get some burn this year. The kid knocked down two big 3's during that third quarter run.
Shembari Phillips continued with his resurgence. I'm excited about him. He plays anywhere near this level during the season and he will make an impact.
The defense really stepped up in the second half. We started playing the 2/3 and really locked the other team up.

Couple of concerns:
Big James didn't do a very good job of establishing himself offensively. We will need to be able to rely on throwing down into the paint and getting some points.
I feel bad saying this because I like him, but I thought Evan Cole looked soft out there in the post. In his defense, he hasn't always been a back to the basket player, and he was playing against a 30 year grown man.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
87-83 box score at link
From ramblinwreck:

This sounds solid!! Up to the first real challenge.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Watched the replay earlier this morning. This was by far the best team that we played during the tour. They were older and savy and had some skill.

In the first half, we were flat at the start - I can understand why, it was the fourth game in six days sandwiched with tourist stuff. There was a bit of sloppy play, but I didn't think that we played all that poorly. It was mostly the shots just weren't falling, and the refs were allowing very physical play. It took us a while to adjust to the physicality and lack of calls. The whistle got better in the second half.

If you want to get excited about what this season could look like, go back and watch our second half performance in this game. The D was swarming, forcing turnovers all over the court and the offense looked crisp. The 3 ball was a weapon for us, but it wasn't all about the 3pt shot. Simply put, Mike & Jose took over. If we can get this version of Mike D throughout the season, we are in for a treat.

He was ballin...He knocked down 3's, rebounded, drove the lane and finished, and played great D. Maybe it was my Gold colored glasses, but he just seems to be SO much more confident than he did year ago. Jose looked like the junior team leader that he is, he never got rattled after a slow start, and he set the tone early in the third period. He knocked down some big shots and also had some really passes as well.

Couple of other observations:
Asanti Price looks like he is going to get some burn this year. The kid knocked down two big 3's during that third quarter run.
Shembari Phillips continued with his resurgence. I'm excited about him. He plays anywhere near this level during the season and he will make an impact.
The defense really stepped up in the second half. We started playing the 2/3 and really locked the other team up.

Couple of concerns:
Big James didn't do a very good job of establishing himself offensively. We will need to be able to rely on throwing down into the paint and getting some points.
I feel bad saying this because I like him, but I thought Evan Cole looked soft out there in the post. In his defense, he hasn't always been a back to the basket player, and he was playing against a 30 year grown man.

Red, You are spot on in almost all your comments..
One thing I wondered about was Parham'scoring.How can a guy that hit 30 on Ky score so lowly on this "limited def" trip?
Lots of pleasant surprises.
-maybe Price is biggest
-Phillips coming alive-- but needs to hit FTs if he is going in to basket
-Cole being an OFf factor
-without seeing all stats--rebs,assts,TOs,etc the only complaint is FT%,its not like there was pressure except last game

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm unfamiliar with Spain basketball. What are these select teams?

They appear to also be college aged kids.
I spent 5 weeks in Spain this summer. One thing that surprised me is that almost every school yard and public park has at least one basketball court. Several times I saw multiple games being played in June. Basketball is a big deal there. There are also a bunch of casas de balconesto. I am not sure how strong their pro leagues are, but there is no shortage of teams in their four levels which you can read about here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_basketball_league_system

Now, the question is still which level did these "all star" teams represent.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I would be curious to know the record of this last Spanish team we played against other college teams from the US.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I would be curious to know the record of this last Spanish team we played against other college teams from the US.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk
THAT would be very interesting. I get the feeling we played a bunch guys who got together for 2 wks to get paid to play--thus are "pros". Were they all Spanish, any from US?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
THAT would be very interesting. I get the feeling we played a bunch guys who got together for 2 wks to get paid to play--thus are "pros". Were they all Spanish, any from US?
I posted some of this earlier. Spain has 4 levels of "professional" basketball. I am not sure which level these "all stars" represent, but they are pros in the sense that they are paid to play basketball at some level. I know a bunch of US college teams played in Spain this summer, so these all star teams were playing a lot of games. I think we played four entirely different teams, but I am not 100% certain. In addition to us, Ga Southern (3-0), Xavier (3-0), Villanova (3-0), West Virginia (3-0), Rutgers (4-0), and probably others, all went to Spain. The fact that we won all four games is not very telling. Villanova had one close game that I think was the same team we played close. West Virginia won one of their games by 65.