New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
upload_2019-8-11_19-31-48.jpeg

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Coach Pastner seems to be playing two squads

Parham-Devoe-Price-Usher-Cole

Jose-Shembarri-Moore-Sjo-nuff-Banks
Is there a takeaway from this? Did SP, KM, and KS leap to starterdom (at least while Moses is out)?

Thanks also for your commentary.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Is there a takeaway from this? Did SP, KM, and KS leap to starterdom (at least while Moses is out)?

At some point this Fall I expect a comment from Pastner along the lines that there is not a lot of separation between guys at the wing positions and that we see a healthy rotation of players prior to the heavy ACC schedule.

If Phillips has turned a corner, then I can see us going three guards with Alvarado-Devoe and Phillips against the smaller mid-major early season opponents.

I wonder how Pastner is going to handle the rotation in the ACC. When Usher is eligible, will he sit all of Phillps, Moore, Sjolund and Price? Are we going to see Alvarado, Devoe, Usher, Wright and Banks logging 35mpg or do we stretch the rotation in order to go up-tempo for real?

Pastner has, in the past, had the tendency to talk out of both sides of his mouth with regards to style of play and substitution patterns. On one hand, he has said he likes to play up-tempo but has been limited by personnel limitations (Lammers or depth). On the other hand, he has stated he prefers to play a short rotation. Can a team play up-tempo with a short rotation? He also has shown the tendency to over-play key guys, particularly failing to rest Lammers and Alvarado properly.

Now he has a roster with some depth and he has said he wants to up the tempo. That should mean we see a deeper bench, but will he resist trying to play Banks and maybe other key guys 38 minutes per game?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

I wouldn’t take too much from it unless he keeps doing it. I’d be willing to bet CJP changes it up for game 3.

I only say that because there is no way Devoe and Jose aren’t the starting backcourt. I do like what I have seen from SP. he looks really confident

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I'm hoping that Usher can be the super glue guy that I thought CGB had the potential to develop into, but never did in his 2 years at GT.

I'd love to see something like a consistent 10 pts, 5 rbs, 3 assists, 2 steals type games.

He's also had the reputation since high school of being a high motor, high emotions type of player. Sort of like Jose in that respect. The key with those it to make sure the emotions are being channeled in a productive rather than destructive way - that is an issue that AD had from time to time.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm hoping that Usher can be the super glue guy that I thought CGB had the potential to develop into, but never did in his 2 years at GT.

I'd love to see something like a consistent 10 pts, 5 rbs, 3 assists, 2 steals type games.

He's also had the reputation since high school of being a high motor, high emotions type of player. Sort of like Jose in that respect. The key with those it to make sure the emotions are being channeled in a productive rather than destructive way - that is an issue that AD had from time to time.
This post is really good. Usher could be the kind of player that allows us to go really small at times. I want to see him against better competition. Too bad he has to sit so many games .