Ate a spaghetti feed at the break and looked badddddd in the third

I had problems with the feed. I will rewatch later

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
38-15 after 1

Up by about 20 at half

Ate a spaghetti feed at the break and looked badddddd in the third

I had problems with the feed. I will rewatch later

Did our offense look better, making good shots? Or did we just out-class them?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Alot of spread around scoring on that score sheet.

Sjolund - 16 (2 threes)
Cole - 14 (no threes, 0-1FT)
Devoe - 14 (4 threes)
Phillips - 10 (2 threes, 2-2 FT)
Usher - 9 (1 three, 2-2 FT)
Banks - 8 (2-4 FT)
Alvarado - 8 (2 threes)
Parham - 8 (2 threes, all scoring in 1st period)
Price - 7 (1 three)
Moore - 5 (1-5 FT - come on Khalid)

Hopefully someone will give us a view of the game who watched it. My impression from the score sheet is that this was a team that simply couldn't hang with GT athletically or on the interior.

Nice to see all the made threes given these would be at the Intl distance that will be the new norm in college basketball. Would never have thought Sjolund could get to 16 pts with just 2 threes.

We sort of know about Jose, Mike and James already - looks like we are probably giving alot of time to players beyond those 3 to see who performs when faced with real competition and who might be able to step up this year. It would be nice if Phillips could find his game that he left in Knoxville - that would make Parham's waiver less crucial for this year.

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
upload_2019-8-10_15-35-36.jpeg

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
Hard to tell about this game because of the uncertainty of the opponent (although they have the reputation of a really good shooting team). Tech played hard and played fast. Seemed like most of our scoring was threes and dunks. Did not rebound particularly well, but didn’t need to. Played man defense all game.

We took it seriously and looked good. Some turnovers from constantly pushing the ball, so to be expected. Gym was really hot and stifling, and CJP substituted all five at multiple times (hence the scoring by so many Jackets). Hope that helps!

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
Hard to tell about this game because of the uncertainty of the opponent (although they have the reputation of a really good shooting team). Tech played hard and played fast. Seemed like most of our scoring was threes and dunks. Did not rebound particularly well, but didn’t need to. Played man defense all game.

We took it seriously and looked good. Some turnovers from constantly pushing the ball, so to be expected. Gym was really hot and stifling, and CJP substituted all five at multiple times (hence the scoring by so many Jackets). Hope that helps!
Cool. Hope that the defensive rebounding improves as that was an issue last season

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Faster pace of play? Check
Potentially improved shooting? Check

I'll take that from an exhibition
Now on to paella
Paella in Catalonia is a cultural experience almost more important than the food. The next step up is Zarzuela, which has a very unique flavor and protocol.

GT_EE78

Banned
So if we had left the first string in after period 1, then we'd have scored about 160 .....
sounds like the extra practice time may be as valuable as the games. This is good stuff.
I'll be interested to see how the minutes were distributed when a full box score is available.
Yea , I'd bet they're eating good

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Alot of spread around scoring on that score sheet.

Sjolund - 16 (2 threes)
Cole - 14 (no threes, 0-1FT)
Devoe - 14 (4 threes)
Phillips - 10 (2 threes, 2-2 FT)
Usher - 9 (1 three, 2-2 FT)
Banks - 8 (2-4 FT)
Alvarado - 8 (2 threes)
Parham - 8 (2 threes, all scoring in 1st period)
Price - 7 (1 three)
Moore - 5 (1-5 FT - come on Khalid)

Hopefully someone will give us a view of the game who watched it. My impression from the score sheet is that this was a team that simply couldn't hang with GT athletically or on the interior.

Nice to see all the made threes given these would be at the Intl distance that will be the new norm in college basketball. Would never have thought Sjolund could get to 16 pts with just 2 threes.

We sort of know about Jose, Mike and James already - looks like we are probably giving alot of time to players beyond those 3 to see who performs when faced with real competition and who might be able to step up this year. It would be nice if Phillips could find his game that he left in Knoxville - that would make Parham's waiver less crucial for this year.

Just finished watching and it was hard to take much away. As one font mentioned, what seemed to be the first team (Jose, Mike, Shembarri, Khalid, and James) really had it going. They scored 38 in the first qtr (10 mins)

Beyond that, there were tons of mixed line-ups and substitutions that made play a little sloppy. We can out asleep after halftime and they cut into the lead - almost got it into single digits before we pushed it back out.

My takeaways:

Return of Shembarri: Man he looked really good. He was hitting step back 3’s, got into the lane for layups, hustled for loose balls. All the things we thought he might bring last year. He’s sort of an after thought but he plays anywhere near this level, he will provide a HUGE boost.

Kristian Sjolund: I was really impressed with him. First, he looks considerably bigger and stronger, and he looked really comfortable out there. I thought he was our best player for stretches. He had two nice baseline dunks, stroked a bunch of 3’s, and he moved well with the ball. Loved his progress.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Just finished watching and it was hard to take much away. As one font mentioned, what seemed to be the first team (Jose, Mike, Shembarri, Khalid, and James) really had it going. They scored 38 in the first qtr (10 mins)

Beyond that, there were tons of mixed line-ups and substitutions that made play a little sloppy. We can out asleep after halftime and they cut into the lead - almost got it into single digits before we pushed it back out.

My takeaways:

Return of Shembarri: Man he looked really good. He was hitting step back 3’s, got into the lane for layups, hustled for loose balls. All the things we thought he might bring last year. He’s sort of an after thought but he plays anywhere near this level, he will provide a HUGE boost.

Kristian Sjolund: I was really impressed with him. First, he looks considerably bigger and stronger, and he looked really comfortable out there. I thought he was our best player for stretches. He had two nice baseline dunks, stroked a bunch of 3’s, and he moved well with the ball. Loved his progress.
I may be wrong about this, but I believe Shembari, Sjolund, and Moore are the three key question mark players for this season. I expect Jose, Michael, James, and Moses to play at or above their 2018 level. These other three, along with Usher (and Parham if he can play) need to log effective minutes this year. So it is good to see they all played reasonably well. Did you not have an opinion about Cole's play? I would love to see how the minutes were distributed.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I may be wrong about this, but I believe Shembari, Sjolund, and Moore are the three key question mark players for this season. I expect Jose, Michael, James, and Moses to play at or above their 2018 level. These other three, along with Usher (and Parham if he can play) need to log effective minutes this year. So it is good to see they all played reasonably well. Did you not have an opinion about Cole's play? I would love to see how the minutes were distributed.

Cole scored probably 6-8 of those points in the last 6 minutes or so. Nice cut to the rim for a dunk and a couple midrange jumpers. I agreed with C62, it was hard to take much away. We looked amped in the beginning, jet lagged in the middle and finished strong