So who leaves? Attrition.

Wreck02

Georgia Tech Fan
I liked what I saw out of Dontae Smith in the spring game as well. IMO Kirvonte's injury set him back, even though Choice stated it was still his job.

I think Choice was just implying that it’s his job to work hard and learn everything in the new system, etc. I don’t think he meant that it’s Benson’s job to lose. That was my take from that interview.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
Is there such as thing as right and wrong, as integrity?
Those qualities exist on a spectrum, but to the gist of your question, yes, many inside and outside of GT live by a higher standard of that philosophy than what some posters here suggest otherwise. Remember, this is an online forum and does not represent an unbiased sample of the GT population.

Sport is a way for people to pull themselves up and reach beyond the means of their communities and families to improve themselves.
I've heard something similar multiple times from GT faculty (usually implicitly) in the 2000s via newsletters, emails, and talks to justify continued funding, support, and preferential treatment of the athletic department (e.g. lower academic admission standard, mandatory earmarked fee, dedicated facilities, etc). Maybe that should be revisited as the college football industry continues to separate college from football.

Because it isn't actually pulling the scholarship. It's choosing not to renew it when it expires.
This is probably why the powder keg hasn't exploded yet. It does make it distasteful in regards to the alleged verbal promises of more. Although the cynic in me does note that's a pretty important lesson to prepare for the "real world".

So I take it you disagree with lowering admissions standards for SA's? I'm not saying we don't have some of the brightest SA's out there, but I can bet you that there are a handful in every class that would not be accepted for admission if not for athletics.
I do disagree with any of the preferential treatment towards student athletes, but I disagree even more towards the continued lowering of the "student" while raising the "athlete". In this aspect, I admire the priorities held by Caltech and MIT more than GT and VT.

MaconBacon IM88

Jolly Good Fellow
34 pages later - but imo - we project this image of GT as an academic institution that also fields excellent athletic programs and competes at high level. I hope that SAs who come here are given real opportunities and assistance to stay in school at GT just b/c they lost their athletic scholarship. If not, these kids will not be successful in school b/c that's not the priority. Keeping athletic scholarship would be job 1 - and for vast majority...college athletics is end of road. Only so many hours in the day and academic success is the priority. I bet 99% of the folks here would feel same way for their kid.

I hope we live up to the branding attributes that I see pushed at these kids.

Attachments

• Education 1st.jpg
    Education 1st.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 95

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s been said to be Kirvonte Benson. Which makes kinda bc of his injury history and may not want to prove himself again. Also, don’t see KB as an inside zone runner kinda in the same vein as not seeing Cottrell as a slot WR

I wish him the best
Carries would be limited too IMO with all our RB depth and he may want to be a feature back somewhere to showcase his skills.