So who leaves? Attrition.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
So if a kid gets and academic or community scholarship and fails to make the grade or time commitment should the scholarships be picked up and honored, just cause they tried?
Not arguing any point, because I'm redeveloping my opinion after much deliberation, but specific to your comment, how many of these kids on academic or community scholarship were "recruited" to come to GT to participate in an extra-curricular activity?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Kid has gas nfl ability and wants a shot. . Must get many touches (durable) , make many yards ( still has quicks) , make many blocks protecting the qb.. He was not willing to take the chance that J Griffin is not going to come in and be dominating.

this is not the best place to improve his chance for NFL.

Why not?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Not arguing any point, because I'm redeveloping my opinion after much deliberation, but specific to your comment, how many of these kids on academic or community scholarship were "recruited" to come to GT to participate in an extra-curricular activity?

I have no idea the numbers on that, not sure where this is going.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I have yet to see anyone say they will stop supporting GT bc Pres Bud Peterson and friends improprieties, but will do so because scholarship not being renewed to those who are caught in transition or no longer a fit due scheme change or being position-less

Not so fast there, cowboy. I was WAY more upset by the improprieties than I would be about any football stuff. Sports are only sports, after all. Entertainment. Unimportant first-world made-up drama, in all truth.

But I made my opinions on the Peterson-boys shenanigans abundantly clear (and do have a tiny amount of voice since I am responsible for recruiting at Tech and deciding on sizable academic R&D investments for a big corp.) There's just no need to express that here where it has little impact (other than now to refute a blatantly erroneous assumption.)

LibertyTurns

Banned
And as was said by quite a few just weeks ago - numbers (like every year) would not be a problem for any reason whatsoever.

Many of those cursing the darkness are of the same years ago mindset that proclaimed if the ACC expanded GT would lose money because the pool would be divided by more schools. No concept of the fact the $ pool would increase greatly.
CGC is the head coach and will likely be for a minimum of 3 years. Maybe we can just let him get his roster established the way he wants it?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
"You are academically gifted. We award you this scholarship based on your academics."
"Sorry, your academics were not as good as we'd hoped, we must revoke your scholarship."

"You are athletically gifted. We award you this scholarship based on your athletic ability."
"Sorry, your athletics were not as good as we'd hoped, but you get to keep your scholarship."

See the difference?
Um, yeah. To set the record straight, I actually am 'okay' with processing. I don't like it, but understand why it has to happen (just like I have to encourage poor engineers that they'd be better off working in an environment in which they could be more successful sometimes. And if they still don't either improve or move on, then we process them with HR actions.)

But your argument here is fallacious. The difference is that the purpose of academic institutions (colleges, universities and institutes) is, well, academic in nature. So there is a direct correlation between failing to perform academically and the revocation of money provided to pursue academics. Failing to perform athletically is not directly related to the nature of the use of funds (to provide an academic benefit.) So I think it is rather different and the argument not very valid.

But, as I said, I know processing happens. I hope we do it with grace, and after giving the athlete every chance to perform and then as much support as possible. I hope we try to find alternative financing if they would like to stay at Tech, as well.