So who leaves? Attrition.

Deleted member 2897

"You are academically gifted. We award you this scholarship based on your academics."
"Sorry, your academics were not as good as we'd hoped, we must revoke your scholarship."

"You are athletically gifted. We award you this scholarship based on your athletic ability."
"Sorry, your athletics were not as good as we'd hoped, but you get to keep your scholarship."

See the difference?

Apples and oranges. Someone getting poor grades is not analogous to a player getting injured or drastic changes in schemes. Sure, they might also have never developed straight up as a player, but even that to me is different

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Why is it any different? If a kid from a lower income area goes to Tech on an academic scholarship, then performs poorly academically, should they keep it purely because of their origins? There are literally tens of thousands of kids across the country who are putting themselves into indentured servitude with student loans, but these kids are different because they happen to play a sport? What about kids from impoverished areas who can't play a sport?

If you're so interested in doing right by these kids, vote for a politician whose platform is tax funded universal education.... Oh right, that'd be expensive and would require actual sacrifice instead of moral grandstanding on an internet message board.

Equality of opportunity, not outcome. They're still free to attend school, either through student loans or through getting a job, you know like how literally tens of thousands of students have to as well.
My distinction is that if the kid continues to practice, lift, do what is asked of them in practice AND remain academically eligible we should see them through. We have kids who are scout team for 4 years who stay on scholarship, and kids who get hurt and any other number of scenarios. The scholarship is not just for 1st string, or ATL or whatever arbitrary notion the coach has at a given point in time.

Further, if the pitch is come for a year and we will continue to reevaluate each year, then stop with the TPP and the 4o year plan and the FamilyOverEverything rhetoric and start paying the players to work as a contract workforce.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
Why is it silly? The train of thought seems to be regular students who don't perform... well tough, but athletes need to be coddled.

As long as these athletes also realize what it is they're signing up for, like you mentioned, I don't see the issue. If they don't realize the risks, then that failing falls on their parents and academic counselors, which is unfortunate but that's life.
Do they (reference bold/underlined part of quote)?

beerbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Question for @Ibeeballin : was that clear to you when you signed your LOI? If so, then I don't see how anyone can have a problem with any of this.

For those making the analogy of keeping an academic scholarship with poor classroom performance, that's silly. I got that freshman orientation speech of look to your left and look to your right. We all knew what we signed up for.

I did know and i was fine with it bc i was there to earn my keep and compete to be the best

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Why is it silly? The train of thought seems to be regular students who don't perform... well tough, but athletes need to be coddled.

As long as these athletes also realize what it is they're signing up for, like you mentioned, I don't see the issue. If they don't realize the risks, then that failing falls on their parents and academic counselors, which is unfortunate but that's life.
we probably agree more than we disagree here. You're saying that it's on the parents and the high schools to let the kids know how it really works. I'm just saying that if this is how it really works, then it should be spelled out when we offer.

zyang31

Georgia Tech Fan
Further, if the pitch is come for a year and we will continue to reevaluate each year, then stop with the TPP and the 4o year plan and the FamilyOverEverything rhetoric and start paying the players to work as a contract workforce.

No disagreement here.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Hold my beer...

I LOVE NAVY BLUE GT GEAR!
Hahaha point taken man.

---------

https://gtswarm.com/threads/attrition-and-scholarship-limits.18002/

If you really enjoy this conversation, please, please, please go read this thread -- it's for you! (not you RyanS12 -- anyone posting to the death.) This hypothetical has already been beaten to death. Just search processing and you'll find 5 other threads full of it....
Yeah you're right, we jumped the shark and ended up cross posting.

Animal02

Banned
If it is prohibited to pull someone's scholarship for athletic reasons, why are we even discussing this at all?
You got me.....I posted the links regarding the rule change, but many posters here believe in win at all cost so they have no problem with pulling a scholly because a kid did not make the 2 deep roster....which IMO is simply reprehensible. There are shady ways a coach could force a kid to quit.....I hope Tech does not cross that line, or all the talk of 40 year and whole man become a pile of salesman bull****.
Once again, I am NOT against a coach being honest with a kid regarding how much playing time he can expect to see and leaving it to the SA to decide what is of importance.

crut

Helluva Engineer
There are several posters here that are of the win at all cost mindset. You can chose to ignore it, but it doesn't change that fact.
You got me.....I posted the links regarding the rule change, but many posters here believe in win at all cost so they have no problem with pulling a scholly because a kid did not make the 2 deep roster....
What a load of BS to justify "win at all cost"
The win at all cost crowd is dancing in the streets.
It is asinine to try to compare HS or the pros to the situation in the NCAA....but not surprising to see it come from the win at all cost crowd.

Please point me to these people, because I'm pretty sure they don't exist. Disagreeing with you on this topic doesn't make them "win at all costs."

Last edited: