So who leaves? Attrition.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
You can’t do that, I don’t know the actual language of the rule, but it something like the sport that is played first has be the sport that you get a scholarship. Think it was written for fb. Now you can run track but your scholarship must come fb or not at all.

A former Miami player told me that’s what Miami did back when kellen Winslow jr played...he indicated it was not a violation then but didn’t indicate it was now.

Quite a long time after the Bear tho....go figure :LOL:

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
A former Miami player told me that’s what Miami did back when kellen Winslow jr played...he indicated it was not a violation then but didn’t indicate it was now.

Quite a long time after the Bear tho....go figure :LOL:
If it was legal, don’t you think every program would use there track and field (among other sports) to get extra scholarship to the football program. You could go from 85 to over 100 scholarships.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I may have misunderstood him and he may have meant they processed them off the football team but continued to pay for their ride with a track scholarship.

Then again....we were talking about duh U.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
So one of those guys got an injury requiring a medical? Is going over 85 hazardous to the health of our SAs? :LOL:

I would like to see our staff get a little more creative. Maybe find a track scholarship for a player willing and able to make and compete on the track team or something while remaining with the football team. Dunno if possible but....
um...someone else may have already commented on this, but if they play any football, their scholarship is a football scholarship, regardless. Had Smelter continued to play baseball after joining the football team, his scholarship would have converted to a football scholarship. This rule was instituted to counteract what Bear Bryant used to do at Alabama. He'd bring in 120 kids and put them all on some type of athletic scholarship, and have them play football. No longer allowed.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
So one of those guys got an injury requiring a medical? Is going over 85 hazardous to the health of our SAs? [emoji38]

I would like to see our staff get a little more creative. Maybe find a track scholarship for a player willing and able to make and compete on the track team or something while remaining with the football team. Dunno if possible but....
If I recall, if they are on the football team, that the school work would count as a football scholly over any other sport. Then basketball ball over other sports.

Edit to add that I see that others appear to verify my recollection.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I believe the word commitment at GT has the same meaning now as it does at every other factory. It will be interesting to see how the 'Hill" handles APR etc... moving forward. It will be interesting.
As long as the kids progress towards graduation or leave in good standing, then there shouldn't be a knock on our APR. I hope our APR continues to rise. That means the kids are working hard in the classroom as well as on the field. (I suppose they could work hard in the classroom and still struggle academically. I sure know I did)

Thanks for still being here. Your opinion holds a lot of weight with many of us.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
As long as the kids progress towards graduation or leave in good standing, then there shouldn't be a knock on our APR. I hope our APR continues to rise. That means the kids are working hard in the classroom as well as on the field. (I suppose they could work hard in the classroom and still struggle academically. I sure know I did)

Thanks for still being here. Your opinion holds a lot of weight with many of us.
Thanks. Im just not sure how players " transferring out" before graduation, effects the APR. Im not saying its bad, I just don't know how the 'Hill" is going to react to players leaving and more incoming transfers. Not sure what message that sends long term. Time will tell. Maybe its a short term thing. We will know in 2 to 3 years.

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
I count 6 or 7 guys on the roster that we could absorb/lose without missing anything on the field... I won't say who I think those kids are out of respect for the players... but it wouldn't be the worst thing if we saw some attrition from those scholarships.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Thanks. Im just not sure how players " transferring out" before graduation, effects the APR. Im not saying its bad, I just don't know how the 'Hill" is going to react to players leaving and more incoming transfers. Not sure what message that sends long term. Time will tell.
Agree with what you're saying about perception. My understanding is that if the SA transfers to another school and leaves in good academic standing, that it does not have a negative effect on our APR. Kids coming in have to be far enough along not to ping us on APR, as well. Let's face it, kids transfer all the time for a myriad of reasons. As long as they're moving towards academic success, it shouldn't matter where they are. If they're transferring because they can't hack the academics at Tech, then I could see the Hill having concerns. But as long as these kids are successful in the classroom, I don't think the Hill cares (in a negative way).

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
If I understand correctly, we are at 85 scholarships right now, not 86. I think we may be done with the moving and shaking for this year. There may be some more in the fall or after the fall, but that will only open up spots for 2020, which we need.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I will be in the stands this fall pulling for them. I have two Sons who are now GT grads! So yes I am a GT fan. I have my RV sport reserved. So we will be there if anyone needs a after game beverage ;)
Like last few years will be bringing some steamed shrimp from joe patti's. Hope your by buddy comes with u. Sure was special to see how the players families bond. Besides u is defoor s dad the only uga grad that played ol at uga ? He s a big man.

Last edited: