So who leaves? Attrition.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I have heard that, but have never seen it confirmed. It could lead to abuse. I could see Bama or UGA just rotating who the Head Coach is through the staff to be able to skirt the rule every year.

That's a great idea! We could have high-rolling donors hold a silent auction to be titled "Head Coach of GT" each year for a one-year-only term. Then we'd write the job descriptions to give the Co-Head Coach (CGC) veto power over every decision made by the "Head Coach."
#EvilGenius

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Yea, I mean certain teams are professionals about how to operate within (and outside) the rules. Georgia has 14 early enrollees this year. 14! LOL
https://247sports.com/college/georg...UGA-in-the-2019-class-127450699/#127450699_14

Not sure how early enrolles are an indictment of UGA.

One interesting thought about early enrollees though in the impact can now shift against the school. Kids enrolling early means they will graduate quicker, and potentially transfer elsewhere for their junior/senior seasons

Deleted member 2897

Not sure how early enrolles are an indictment of UGA.

One interesting thought about early enrollees though in the impact can now shift against the school. Kids enrolling early means they will graduate quicker, and potentially transfer elsewhere for their junior/senior seasons

Well, the topic was bending the rules and pushing the envelope. For example, there is a rule that you can only have 85 scholarships in football, and you can't have more than 25 in a single year. Early enrollees can count against the earlier class. So now you can go way past the 25 limit, so long as you clear out some of the guys from the previous class (cut them, get them to transfer out, take a medical). Most schools have a few guys that enroll early every year. A few schools are experts at pushing the envelope, which was the recent topic.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Well, the topic was bending the rules and pushing the envelope. For example, there is a rule that you can only have 85 scholarships in football, and you can't have more than 25 in a single year. Early enrollees can count against the earlier class. So now you can go way past the 25 limit, so long as you clear out some of the guys from the previous class (cut them, get them to transfer out, take a medical). Most schools have a few guys that enroll early every year. A few schools are experts at pushing the envelope, which was the recent topic.
Yeah that's next level trickery. Hadn't thought about it before that way.

Deleted member 2897

Yeah that's next level trickery. Hadn't thought about it before that way.

Its kind of like the Russian dolls that are stacked on themselves. They have 14 early enrollees. So long as they keep churning through the previous class, and the class before that, I would imagine they can keep assigning scholarships to earlier and earlier years. In other words, if 5 more guys from the 2018 class leave by the time fall semester starts, they can shift 5 more guys' scholarships from this 2019 class to the 2018 class, since they have 14 that started early. That then opens up room in the 2020 class to stuff more people that start early back into the 2019 class from the holes left from the guys who are getting shifted into the 2018 class for where their scholarship counts. And so on and so forth.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Its kind of like the Russian dolls that are stacked on themselves. They have 14 early enrollees. So long as they keep churning through the previous class, and the class before that, I would imagine they can keep assigning scholarships to earlier and earlier years. In other words, if 5 more guys from the 2018 class leave by the time fall semester starts, they can shift 5 more guys' scholarships from this 2019 class to the 2018 class, since they have 14 that started early. That then opens up room in the 2020 class to stuff more people that start early back into the 2019 class from the holes left from the guys who are getting shifted into the 2018 class for where their scholarship counts. And so on and so forth.
Wait, so they can reclassify after the fact? like in 2020 decide the guy was a 2016 class player due to early enrollee? They don't have to declare at their signing?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The primary reason for getting you recruits in early is Spring Practice. This does not make sense if you plan to redshirt a recruit, so the only kids you want to push toward early entry are your highest rated recruits. That does not mean your down-the-list kids aren't welcome to enter early, and you may find a diamond in the rough from that group.

I have not done my homework on this, but I wonder if there is any data on the ages of early entry kids. Are they closer to 17 or closer to 19? Are they any different then the rest of the universe of recruits?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
The primary reason for getting you recruits in early is Spring Practice. This does not make sense if you plan to redshirt a recruit, so the only kids you want to push toward early entry are your highest rated recruits. That does not mean your down-the-list kids aren't welcome to enter early, and you may find a diamond in the rough from that group.

I have not done my homework on this, but I wonder if there is any data on the ages of early entry kids. Are they closer to 17 or closer to 19? Are they any different then the rest of the universe of recruits?

This was my understanding as well, but I hadn’t thought through the logical extension of reclassifying kids to balance class loads retroactively

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This was my understanding as well, but I hadn’t thought through the logical extension of reclassifying kids to balance class loads retroactively/QUOTE]
Does it really affect the balance the class load? A freshman that enters in January of 2020 and one that enters in June or August of 2020 is still a Freshman for the purpose of eligibility.

Deleted member 2897

Wait, so they can reclassify after the fact? like in 2020 decide the guy was a 2016 class player due to early enrollee? They don't have to declare at their signing?

I do not profess to be an expert at this, but I think you can only go back 1 year at a time. But I also think that's all you need. In other words, come fall semester, you have to be under 85 scholarships. Your incoming class that year has to be under 25, except if you have early enrollees that can count against the previous year. So by the start of fall semester, whoever from the previous class that has cleared out and gone, you can shift guys from the current class over. But then that's the end of it. But I think it takes care of itself. Because once you move several guys over, now you've just freed up several slots in the current class the the next year's early enrollees can fill.

In other words, Georgia's 2019 class had 24 guys. 14 enrolled early. I don't know how many can count against the 2018 class (which was already beyond max at 26), because I haven't researched how many of them transferred out, quit, etc. I know at least a few did because you can find them in a quick google. So the 2019 class that shows 24 on paper might actually end up counting for only like 18 in 2019. So in 2020, the first 7 early enrollees Georgia takes can then count against 2019...meaning Georgia could take up to 32 players next year if they wanted to (if they had the room in the 85 total to do it). Again, I may be making bad assumptions here, because they may have early enrollee limits for how many can count backwards and so on. I don't know all the rules around this.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I do not profess to be an expert at this, but I think you can only go back 1 year at a time. But I also think that's all you need. In other words, come fall semester, you have to be under 85 scholarships. Your incoming class that year has to be under 25, except if you have early enrollees that can count against the previous year. So by the start of fall semester, whoever from the previous class that has cleared out and gone, you can shift guys from the current class over. But then that's the end of it. But I think it takes care of itself. Because once you move several guys over, now you've just freed up several slots in the current class the the next year's early enrollees can fill.

In other words, Georgia's 2019 class had 24 guys. 14 enrolled early. I don't know how many can count against the 2018 class (which was already beyond max at 26), because I haven't researched how many of them transferred out, quit, etc. I know at least a few did because you can find them in a quick google. So the 2019 class that shows 24 on paper might actually end up counting for only like 18 in 2019. So in 2020, the first 7 early enrollees Georgia takes can then count against 2019...meaning Georgia could take up to 32 players next year if they wanted to (if they had the room in the 85 total to do it). Again, I may be making bad assumptions here, because they may have early enrollee limits for how many can count backwards and so on. I don't know all the rules around this.
You can only count a kid against the previous class if the kid enrolls during that academic year (i.e. early enrollees), which generally runs from fall through summer. You cannot count a kid that starts in September against the previous class. However, depending on how the summer semester is allocated, you might be able to if they took classes that first summer. In other words, consider early entry as an inverted greyshirt.

Also, an early entry can be counted against either class, depending on what is needed.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

You can only count up to five toward the previous year. Also, it is for signing players. If you sign a player in 2019, even if you kick him off the team in November of 2019, he still counts toward the 25 signees in 2019.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

Just keeping track of where people ended up. Zakk McKeehan to Nichols State.

I'm glad Zack landed on his feet. I thought he had promise, no matter what the O was; he's sure big enough. Also, having him transfer after not picking up any OLs last year could exacerbate what might become a major depth problem by 2021. But I'm sure the coaches know all about that and are working on it.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Makes sense for him. Close to home. Nice program. They were in the playoffs the last 2 years.
I was hoping to see gt have large c g c (braun, cooper, hansen) types and some much smaller offensive tackles that could move. I am hard on sewak, but at least he and Coach were trying different combinations. The giant ol in 14 was very good however the recent tall but not agile o t were not able to block in space. Everyone wants the tall agile guys , so i was rezdy to see our o t be more like DE .
Zakk looked like a smaller more agile o t.

Oh well go luck to Zakk