So When Will Practice Start Again??

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
GIFs2019111104747.gif

putnambee

Georgia Tech Fan
If my son goes off to college in the fall...…..Should I let him come home on his breaks. Seems like it could be a bad situation.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
If my son goes off to college in the fall...…..Should I let him come home on his breaks. Seems like it could be a bad situation.

If tests are still plentiful at that time, you could have him get tested first, among other precautions. If he is staying at your house, maybe not a good idea for him to be going out a lot.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Saw on ESPN that college football stands to lose $4 billion if the football season is cancelled. Hard to imagine them passing up that kind of revenue.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Saw on ESPN that college football stands to lose $4 billion if the football season is cancelled. Hard to imagine them passing up that kind of revenue.
If the season goes on but at the 1/5 (approx) capacity standard that OSU is proposing for themselves, what do you believe the losses would amount to? Just curious. $2b?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
If the season goes on but at the 1/5 (approx) capacity standard that OSU is proposing for themselves, what do you believe the losses would amount to? Just curious. $2b?
Nowhere near. I don't have the breakdown in front of me, but the VAST majority of revenues are from TV deals, so that's why we'll see lots of games being played in empty stadiums. Donations are also a huge source of revenue as well as licensing fees. Ticket revenues are probably 4th on the list. I would guess loss of ticket sales might cost...oh, I dunno ..$500 million?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The revenue depends upon the University. A school like GT gets a much higher percentage of its athletic revenues from the conference TV contract. The blue blood type football schools get alot more money from other revenue than from their football contract. tOSU's AD said that if they were to have no fans in the stands, then they would lose about $50M in revenue from their 7 home football games (they avg about $7M for each game in revenue). Now their costs are lower as well, but even given that it is still a huge loss.

No matter what it will be millions to tens of millions of dollars of losses in revenue - that's a best case scenario. Also, keep in mind that if the season isn't a full length season the TV contract is likely to be pro-rated for that. Disney is not exactly raking in alot of money right now with no movies, no theme parks open. Oh, and expenses are going to be higher due to testing. PAC-12 is estimating $2.5M per school to test SA's.

Most schools have already taken a $3-5M hit for the loss of conference and NCAA basketball tournaments.
I expect college basketball to be more highly hit than football in terms of COVID19. Some schools (like Notre Dame and South Carolina) have already announced they are going to end in person classes by Thanksgiving and then not have students return until at least some time in January. How are you going to play college basketball with that scenario? College basketball was more at risk to begin with, with it being played indoors during the winter months when the spread is likely to be higher (recent study suggests summer weather may result in about a 25% reduction in transmission rate. Not enough to snuff it out, but combined with other measures more likely to keep it from exploding back up).
There is starting to be chatter of a conference only schedule for basketball this upcoming season. I am sort of expecting that college basketball will likely have to be played without any fans, i'm not sure how you make it work otherwise.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Most schools have already taken a $3-5M hit for the loss of conference and NCAA basketball tournaments.
I expect college basketball to be more highly hit than football in terms of COVID19. Some schools (like Notre Dame and South Carolina) have already announced they are going to end in person classes by Thanksgiving and then not have students return until at least some time in January. How are you going to play college basketball with that scenario? College basketball was more at risk to begin with, with it being played indoors during the winter months when the spread is likely to be higher (recent study suggests summer weather may result in about a 25% reduction in transmission rate. Not enough to snuff it out, but combined with other measures more likely to keep it from exploding back up).
They already play college basketball in December and January without students on campus. That is the normal winter break, so it shouldn't affect the ability to play the games at all.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The article breaks it down for no fans.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports...l-financial-wreckage-due-coronavirus-pandemic

It would be around 1.5 billion lost with no fans. You can extrapolate from there for various crowd sizes.
I skimmed the article quickly, but saw only two references...one saying $1.2 billion was their estimate, and another stating that 14% of total revenues came form ticket sales (which would imply even less than $1.2 billion given their total estimate of $4 billion....it would imply more like $600 million).

Did I miss something in the article? (entirely possible...)