So When Will Practice Start Again??

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I skimmed the article quickly, but saw only two references...one saying $1.2 billion was their estimate, and another stating that 14% of total revenues came form ticket sales (which would imply even less than $1.2 billion given their total estimate of $4 billion....it would imply more like $600 million).

Did I miss something in the article? (entirely possible...)
Probably this part:
While there are no publicly available data that separate out fans' game-day spending (for example, food/beverage, merchandise, parking) at college football stadiums, Rishe's analysis shows Power 5 schools would collectively lose $303 million in revenue on game-day spending by fans (excluding tickets), or $4.7 million per school, if there were no football season. Further, collective game-day losses alone would be at least $1.5 billion, at least $23.3 million per school.
They basically estimate 1.2 billion lost from ticket sales which they state earlier in the article and 300 million lost from gameday revenue so 1.5 billion collectively. For the 14% number, they did say that on average 14% of total operating revenue for the Athletic Department was from football ticket sales alone. No clue if you were to run the numbers for every program and average them if they would match up to the estimated losses.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
GT is cursed. Just when our ex coaches buyouts all start coming off the books, and increase in media revenue starts kicking in...the virus happens.

Yes, I know the world is dealing with similar issues, but as a GT fan it seems that hump keeps appearing for us. We were literally about to hit a period where our revenue was going up, and we would have some financially net positive years.

You suck coronavirus...

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Probably this part:

They basically estimate 1.2 billion lost from ticket sales which they state earlier in the article and 300 million lost from gameday revenue so 1.5 billion collectively. For the 14% number, they did say that on average 14% of total operating revenue for the Athletic Department was from football ticket sales alone. No clue if you were to run the numbers for every program and average them if they would match up to the estimated losses.
Gotcha. Thanks...

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
GT is cursed. Just when our ex coaches buyouts all start coming off the books, and increase in media revenue starts kicking in...the virus happens.

Yes, I know the world is dealing with similar issues, but as a GT fan it seems that hump keeps appearing for us. We were literally about to hit a period where our revenue was going up, and we would have some financially net positive years.

You suck coronavirus...

Unless I've missed it, unlike some schools, we have yet to reduce out coaches salaries or cut a program. I think that relates to us being on ok ground. OR we are borrowing from AI2020 which hasn't been updated since March 1.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
You know, I'm starting to think there may be a fundamental conflict of interest between the system we've built and the college athletes who make it work.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
GT Athletics to Begin Phase I of Facilities Reopening

Plan on June 15

Following guidance from Georgia Tech administration, the University System of Georgia (USG), Georgia Governor Brian Kemp’s office and public health officials, Georgia Tech athletics will begin Phase I of its facilities reopening plan on June 15.

Phase I of Georgia Tech athletics’ facilities reopening plan will allow for student-athletes in the Atlanta area to utilize on-campus weight rooms and athletic training facilities on a voluntary basis. With safety of student-athletes and staff remaining the No. 1 priority, policies will include that:

· student-athletes will be required to make an appointment to utilize weight rooms and athletic training facilities;

· student-athletes and staff will be required to complete a daily health check questionnaire prior to arriving on campus;

· temperature checks will be administered to student-athletes and staff upon arrival at the facility;

· groups will be limited to no more than 10 student-athletes and two staff members inside a facility at one time (groups will be reduced for smaller facilities) and social distancing will be required;

· student-athlete groupings will remain consistent throughout Phase I;

· all equipment and facilities will be thoroughly sanitized after each use;

· student-athletes will not be permitted to share towels or water bottles;

· locker room facilities will not be available to student-athletes.

During Phase I of the facilities reopening plan, Georgia Tech athletics staff members will continue to be encouraged to work remotely, with the exception of those who must be on-campus to support student-athlete activities and perform other essential tasks. The June 15 date for the beginning of Phase I of Georgia Tech athletics’ facilities reopening plan is subject to change if guidance from campus, USG, state and public health authorities is modified. Phase II of Georgia Tech athletics’ facilities reopening plan has yet to be finalized and a date for the second phase to begin has yet to be determined.

STATEMENT FROM DIRECTOR OF ATHLETICS TODD STANSBURY

“I’m grateful to everyone that has put so much hard work into formulating a plan for student-athletes and staff to be able to safely return to campus for voluntary activities. I’m also very happy for our student-athletes. Despite the incredible challenges, they have done amazing things both academically and athletically in the nearly three months that they’ve been away from campus, and done so with amazingly positive attitudes. So it is going to be really special to see them begin to slowly return to campus and get ready for their upcoming seasons in the safety of our athletic facilities, and under the supervision of our outstanding strength and conditioning and athletic training staffs.

“Implementing Phase I of our re-opening plan is a positive step towards hopefully being able to start our upcoming seasons as scheduled, including the highly anticipated football season opener against Clemson on Sept. 3 at Bobby Dodd Stadium. We are fully planning to do so, should guidance from the Institute, the University System of Georgia, Governor Brian Kemp’s office, public health officials, the NCAA and the ACC allow it. In the meantime, I ask everyone to continue to stay safe, keep practicing social distance and take care of each other, and hopefully we will be able to continue to move towards getting back to doing the things that we all love.”

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Plan on June 15

Following guidance from Georgia Tech administration, the University System of Georgia (USG), Georgia Governor Brian Kemp’s office and public health officials, Georgia Tech athletics will begin Phase I of its facilities reopening plan on June 15.

Phase I of Georgia Tech athletics’ facilities reopening plan will allow for student-athletes in the Atlanta area to utilize on-campus weight rooms and athletic training facilities on a voluntary basis. With safety of student-athletes and staff remaining the No. 1 priority, policies will include that:

· student-athletes will be required to make an appointment to utilize weight rooms and athletic training facilities;

· student-athletes and staff will be required to complete a daily health check questionnaire prior to arriving on campus;

· temperature checks will be administered to student-athletes and staff upon arrival at the facility;

· groups will be limited to no more than 10 student-athletes and two staff members inside a facility at one time (groups will be reduced for smaller facilities) and social distancing will be required;

During Phase I of the facilities reopening plan, Georgia Tech athletics staff members will continue to be encouraged to work remotely, with the exception of those who must be on-campus to support student-athlete activities and perform other essential tasks. The June 15 date for the beginning of Phase I of Georgia Tech athletics’ facilities reopening plan is subject to change if guidance from campus, USG, state and public health authorities is modified. Phase II of Georgia Tech athletics’ facilities reopening plan has yet to be finalized and a date for the second phase to begin has yet to be determined.

“I’m grateful to everyone that has put so much hard work into formulating a plan for student-athletes and staff to be able to safely return to campus for voluntary activities. I’m also very happy for our student-athletes. Despite the incredible challenges, they have done amazing things both academically and athletically in the nearly three months that they’ve been away from campus, and done so with amazingly positive attitudes. So it is going to be really special to see them begin to slowly return to campus and get ready for their upcoming seasons in the safety of our athletic facilities, and under the supervision of our outstanding strength and conditioning and athletic training staffs.

“Implementing Phase I of our re-opening plan is a positive step towards hopefully being able to start our upcoming seasons as scheduled, including the highly anticipated football season opener against Clemson on Sept. 3 at Bobby Dodd Stadium. We are fully planning to do so, should guidance from the Institute, the University System of Georgia, Governor Brian Kemp’s office, public health officials, the NCAA and the ACC allow it. In the meantime, I ask everyone to continue to stay safe, keep practicing social distance and take care of each other, and hopefully we will be able to continue to move towards getting back to doing the things that we all love.”

So no testing for coaches or SAs? Hmm...

Also, keep this in mind. By June 15, GA will know the results of lifting shelter in place. If infections and hospitalizations surge between now and June 15, voluntary workouts may be shelved by then. AJC just reported that is a spike infections from the first wave coming off shelter in place. Part of it is due to more testing, but an Emory official is saying it's not all due to increased testing.

Stay tuned...

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
If not other issues the majority of the ACC should be back fall. Boston College & Syracuse would appear to be potential hold outs but that wouldn’t stop the other campuses. Schedules would have to be modified. It would probably be shell campuses with football and other athletes operating in silos away from other students. Not sure how many students would be on campus but no students no football.

Even if there is another outbreak states like GA will not shutdown. They’ll just pile up the bodies.

Would schedules have to be modified?

Those wannabes would just forfeit their games and lose any part of the pie.
The schools they forfeit to would not be able to count those games towards league championship.

Or maybe all above is included in your modification?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Plan on June 15

And just why in hell do we put ourselves in a bigger hole vs ugag?

Their first game is 4 days after ours and they can come back a week ahead of us.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
So no testing for coaches or SAs? Hmm...

Also, keep this in mind. By June 15, GA will know the results of lifting shelter in place. If infections and hospitalizations surge between now and June 15, voluntary workouts may be shelved by then. AJC just reported that is a spike infections from the first wave coming off shelter in place. Part of it is due to more testing, but an Emory official is saying it's not all due to increased testing.

Stay tuned...

Something that was pointed out on the news is that if kids are currently working out at public gyms, they would probably be safer on campus. They implied that uga was going to be testing their players, though. I think workouts should be relatively safe, but we should have testing in place before we start practicing. We should probably practice outdoors, as well.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I highly doubt that the kids are in any real danger of this bs. They are healthy and strong. Get them back on campus! We want school in the fall!
I believe deaths amongst people under the age of 65 are around 15% of total covid deaths....so perhaps 15,000 since the epidemic began. That is a mortality rate of about 0.005%. College aged kids are FAR more likely to catch an STD than they are to catch covid, and the STD will likely affect their lives more than covid. So, I think it is pretty clear that science supports the fact that the kids are really not at risk.

The risk lies in their interactions with their families and others outside their age group. That is a much trickier thing to control.

TaxJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
And just why in hell do we put ourselves in a bigger hole vs ugag?

Their first game is 4 days after ours and they can come back a week ahead of us.
Stansbury can't do anything about dorms being closed. Anyone who doesn't live in Atlanta can't come back yet because they don't have a place to live

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Stansbury can't do anything about dorms being closed. Anyone who doesn't live in Atlanta can't come back yet because they don't have a place to live

But ugag & CU can manage to work it out?

How long has campus been closed? How many months do we need to get a few floors (or heck even 1 whole dorm) "sanitized"?

Unreal.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
But ugag & CU can manage to work it out?

How long has campus been closed? How many months do we need to get a few floors (or heck even 1 whole dorm) "sanitized"?

Unreal.
I haven’t bothered to look for articles but I’m not sure how much ahead they are. Saw USCe coach Dawn Staley interview this morning and she spoke about testing and quaranteeing players when they arrive on campus, working in small groups, etc. it doesn’t sound like it’s just going to be business as usual and back to practicing football.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I don't think one less week of workouts will hurt us. I would like to see us more at the forefront of innovation on this, though.