So what did Joseph do?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Will be interesting to observe if she, and ambulance chaser, push this with any regard to her ever coaching again?

Independent investigation from respected source. 100% of S/A in agreement over her conduct, Potential NCAA problem.

Certain aspects remind me of 100% percent of football team telling Homer Rice “no more” as regards Bill Lewis.

This behavior from cmj just did not start I would venture a guess. Glad GTAA took a proactive stance and think they have handled this perfectly so far.

slugboy

Staff member
I suspect the timing of the firing is not coincidental.
She was put on suspension on Feb 27th. 4 Weeks ago. I bet there is something in the contract in terms of firing personnel and the HR matters you have to go through.

This is almost certainly headed to court given her lawyers comments. Whether it ever gets to trial or is eventually settled who knows.
2 very different narratives being told from the 2 sides.

I’d be surprised if there was a timeframe. I’m not even sure if there was anything in the contract that would drive this.
However, I could see that upon the allegations coming in, TStan and higher level leaders of the AA take them seriously, then the leadership consulting with an employment attorney about the appropriate steps. The buttoned up nature sounds like a plan an experienced employment attorney would have recommended to cover all their bases.

(Hypothetically, as I’m not a lawyer), Suspending a coach or manager on serious allegations covers liability towards the players on first notice of the problems (and protects the players if the allegations turned out to be true). Prohibiting unsupervised contact from coaching staff prevents witness tampering and intimidation (which would explain the immediate firing of the graduate assistant, because letting that go would just open the door to intimidating student athletes). Four weeks may just have been the time required to engage the outside investigation firm, have them interview everyone involved, and put together the report.

It doesn’t have to be specific to her contract—just putting together an ironclad case.

This doesn’t mean that Joseph hasn’t raised gender equity issues for years. She might even think that they’re the cause of this. She could have been making those complaints, and these allegations could also be true, and this could be messy.

It does seem like TStan knows how to handle problems like these.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slugboy

Staff member
These were my thoughts as well smokey. This type of behavior doesn't usually come out of nowhere. And it is hard to imagine a positive vibe on a team under that stress that leads to the type of recruiting success we've had the past couple of years. Very strange turn of events.

I should have multiquoted to put everything in one post, but I’ll get this one here.

In a well run organization, with a series of competent and attentive ADs, I’d agree with the assessment.

A. Reportedly, our last AD was rarely seen before departing for Purdue. He does not strike me a someone deeply engaged in the day to day events of our athletic program.
B. Women’s Basketball, for all the talent of the athletes, is not to my knowledge a high-revenue sport here. Purely on personal speculation, I could see MBob, DRad, and Braine virtually ignoring it.
C. I don’t know about the previous years, but the players leaving the program do fit with having a toxic atmosphere the last few years. Maybe there was a change recently, or maybe it’s always been that way and the program never got the oversight it needed.

There’s the outside possibility that something else was going on. I don’t think so, though.

If I were AD, I wouldn’t mess with a Women’s basketball program that looked generally NCAA or NIT worthy. That’s why I can believe that he needed to do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If allegations of Joseph's mental and verbal abuse are true, she should have just went "gently into that good night". She probably would have been lucky and gotten another job, probably at a non-P5 school. I believe it's employment law that you can not share details of why employees were let go. Instead, she let her attorney play the "look they are the bad guy" media game and it looks like that strategy blew up in their face. Now EVERYONE knows that Joseph was not a very nice person. In this day and age of hyper media that protects the victims of this kind of situation, it's really hard to hire someone that has this in their background. Let's be honest, unless you're a UConn or Tennessee, your women's program probably is not making any money. Certainly not enough money to take a chance on coach with this baggage. Joseph was a good coach, but she isn't a coach you take a chance on because she wins at a phenomenal rate. You simply do not want that headache...especially in sport that's not known for making much money. There's simply way too many good candidates.

Joseph and her attorney rolled the dice that they could become a nightmare for GT and GT would pay them to go away. Well, looks like anonymous "leaks" are about to blow up that game plan. Now Joseph won't be able to hide from her past (if allegations are true). I mean, GT isn't some small business. GT is backed by one of the most powerful conferences in sports, and the biggest sports entity in ESPN. You simply have to be sure your game plan has no holes if you're going to play the media game.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Let me sort this out for my old mind. GT was not treating the women's basketball team fairly, so she is OK with verbally and emotionally abusing the women on her team? I am missing the connection.

That’s called making a BIG leap to try and explain things! Again, good luck with that!

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
KS updated his story in the AJC. Some interesting things in it.

If it's correct, GT could fire her with cause based on its sole discretion. She may make a lot of noise, but it seems GT will be OK.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Having read the report, I can see a lawyer making a case of unequal treatment based on OLeary placing a kid in a physical confrontation without being fired. And since there are a lot of focus on swearing at and demeaning actions toward athletes it won't be hard to contrast that to CPJ screaming at kids and physically grabbing face masks without penalty. The report goes into detail saying Joseph never met the level of physical abuse or physically "touching" players. CJP without a doubt did.

I don't think Joseph will ever coach at GT again, but I also don't think this is as cut and dried as others think. I see a settlement being a lot more likely than GT getting off without paying a dime.