So what did Joseph do?

GT_EE78

Banned
Link

A final report on the investigation was submitted by Littler Mendelson on March 20. Among the findings were that every student-athlete reported “concerns regarding alleged emotional or mental mistreatment” by Joseph, and that student-athletes described the environment around the team as “toxic,” “suffocating,” “unhealthy” and “hostile” and described Joseph’s conduct as “bullying” and “emotionally, mentally and verbally ‘abusive.’”

Additionally, several student-athletes reported allegations that, if true, may constitute violations of NCAA rules, Littler Mendelson concluded. Georgia Tech has initiated a review of these allegations with the NCAA.
They sure put a lot of effort into generating a report that weasel-worded around saying whatever she did wrong.

Deleted member 2897

These allegations sound like what Tech felt like when I went there...just the academics. I’m sure it’s all a big misunderstanding. The players said MaTech not MaChelle.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It will be interesting to see if she uses the gender equity charge with regard to some of our men coaches and how they relate to their players at times. Could become a finger pointing argument if it ever goes to court.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
What I am curious about is: She's been here for 16 years? Was this behavior always there? Did she flip a switch this year? Very weird situation.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I suspect the timing of the firing is not coincidental.
She was put on suspension on Feb 27th. 4 Weeks ago. I bet there is something in the contract in terms of firing personnel and the HR matters you have to go through.

This is almost certainly headed to court given her lawyers comments. Whether it ever gets to trial or is eventually settled who knows.
2 very different narratives being told from the 2 sides.

tkh74

Georgia Tech Fan
Doesn't this sound somewhat like what went down with our softball program a few years back? SB program went from class of the ACC, and postseason every year, to RPI's in the high 200's. That program is just now starting to come off life support in coach Morales 2nd season. In fairness to the last coach the program had already slipped. The WBB program seems to always under perform expectations as of late. Hopefully we get the hire right, and don't have the WBB program take the same path our SB program did!!

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
They sure put a lot of effort into generating a report that weasel-worded around saying whatever she did wrong.
So you think the statement and the report are the same? Guarantee the report has all the detail you would want. We’re just never going to see it.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
She was put on suspension on Feb 27th. 4 Weeks ago. I bet there is something in the contract in terms of firing personnel and the HR matters you have to go through.

This is almost certainly headed to court given her lawyers comments. Whether it ever gets to trial or is eventually settled who knows.
Perhaps you are right about HR matters, but she had an employment contract that had to comply with NCAA rules. I am sure there were ample clauses to protect GT if she violated those rules or GT policy regarding treatment of students by faculty and staff. A thing that caught my eye was that GT fielded a complaint from several members of the team, initiated an internal verification of the complaint, then placed Joseph on paid leave while the outside investigation was conducted. Since the complaint came from team members, they had no choice but to separate her from the team in order to conduct a fair investigation. Except for the separation (that could have been temporary), this is how they handled the Ron Bell accusations against Pastner.

The outside firm specializes in this type of investigation, so they certainly gave Joseph plenty of time to tell her side of the story. The other thing that sticks out is that apparently every team member was interviewed and said the problem was how Joseph treated the players. Even parents of team members were interviewed, which tells me the players were calling home (maybe in tears at times) complaining about their treatment.

How players are treated is rising to the top of college sports and we all remember what happened at Rutgers and Maryland. GT has probably been keenly aware of how the negative publicity engulfed the athletic departments at both schools while they dealt with the fallout. So the complaints had to be taken seriously.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

Surely Joseph and her attorneys will try to shake down GT the way many folks shake down corporations...making them believe it will be cheaper to settle than go through litigation. Anyone who thinks "the law" and "justice" are the same thing hasn't experienced the legal system in real life.

I wonder if her claims of gender equity are based on a claim that she managed her players the same ways male coaches manage their players. The treatment that players complained about was all verbal and mental. Fifty years ago, that would simply have been called "mean". And, I suppose many male coaches do use verbal and mental abuse as tactics in coaching.

The really telling piece of data in that release was the fact that EVERY student athlete apparently complained. That kind of made it impossible to do anything else but terminate her. It may also explain why some athletes, some very good ones, have transferred out of the GT Women's BB program over the years.

GT_EE78

Banned
The unspecified allegations that, if true, may constitute violations of NCAA rules are interesting too . the silence is deafening.

cyclejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
What I am curious about is: She's been here for 16 years? Was this behavior always there? Did she flip a switch this year? Very weird situation.

These were my thoughts as well smokey. This type of behavior doesn't usually come out of nowhere. And it is hard to imagine a positive vibe on a team under that stress that leads to the type of recruiting success we've had the past couple of years. Very strange turn of events.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
These were my thoughts as well smokey. This type of behavior doesn't usually come out of nowhere. And it is hard to imagine a positive vibe on a team under that stress that leads to the type of recruiting success we've had the past couple of years. Very strange turn of events.
Me three. If this has been a problem for 16 years how has she been able to keep a job. EVERY member of the team complained. Did she suddenly snap this year? If it was this bad, recruits would have found out, yet her recruiting was definitely on the up trend. Did her assistants just watch? Did the AA know or suspect but do nothing until the players complained? Really strange and sad situation. I imagine her first statement in court will be "yeah but I never grabbed a facemask"

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
Me three. If this has been a problem for 16 years how has she been able to keep a job. EVERY member of the team complained. Did she suddenly snap this year? If it was this bad, recruits would have found out, yet her recruiting was definitely on the up trend. Did her assistants just watch? Did the AA know or suspect but do nothing until the players complained? Really strange and sad situation. I imagine her first statement in court will be "yeah but I never grabbed a facemask"
Sometimes it just takes one person to speak out. Same thing with the Cosby situation. Victims sometimes think that no one will believe them when they make an allegation against a "well respected" individual. Plus, they probably just thought that's how college programs were run.

Cnkraider

Jolly Good Fellow
Well if you can't coach kids anymore why have coaches? I'm not worried .about the. Gender thing. It's always a thing. Just like life. Everyone. Has .to have and excuse or something to blame.ig Georgia tech though she was doing a crappy job just fire her. Who know what happened?