Should the Fire Geoff Collins thread be locked?

Should the Fire Geoff Collins thread be locked?

• No - leave it as is

Votes: 91 48.9%
  • Yes - lock it temporarily

Votes: 33 17.7%
  • Yes - lock it permanently

Votes: 62 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I voted to "leave as is" - with that said, I would not lose any sleep over it being temporarily locked. I just don't think it will be long after the season starts until it will be needed again. I hope that is not true, but my logical side cannot see any other outcome.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
in regards to your last point, which i agree with, i think that you share the minority view. based on the way people talk in here, i think anything short of a win and the fire collins chants will be loud and clear everywhere. i think because of the results he’s lost that privilege in the eyes of most fans

i’m more worried about the future. we now have a significant and vocal portion of fans that refuses to accept paul johnson’s shortcomings and i think they’re gonna just rally to go right back to the option because a bad hire means we have to be an option school no matter what. i think tech fandom will somehow get MORE toxic here soon lol

for everyone’s sake and sanity i hope collins can at least make us look like a regular 7 win team doing something other than the option
Winning three games a year for three years in a row and losing the last two by a combined 100-0 will tend to result in fans demanding that the coach be fired. That said, we can continue the way we are going and be happy with all that money from the ACC while losing 8 or 9 games a year trending downwards to Duke, Tulane, and Vanderbilt territory.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
in regards to your last point, which i agree with, i think that you share the minority view. based on the way people talk in here, i think anything short of a win and the fire collins chants will be loud and clear everywhere. i think because of the results he’s lost that privilege in the eyes of most fans

i’m more worried about the future. we now have a significant and vocal portion of fans that refuses to accept paul johnson’s shortcomings and i think they’re gonna just rally to go right back to the option because a bad hire means we have to be an option school no matter what. i think tech fandom will somehow get MORE toxic here soon lol

for everyone’s sake and sanity i hope collins can at least make us look like a regular 7 win team doing something other than the option
I think you are going through a bunch of false confirmation bias. If we win or play like we know what we are doing and have a chance but lose, most fans here can accept that. (Probably blame the refs)

Most of us don't give a rats butt what we do to get there. Tech is better than what CGC has given us is the problem. He needs to do a historical level transformation from the last three years this year or he will go down as by far the worst coach Tech has ever had.

For what it is worth, I am feeling fairly optimistic about this up coming season. I predicted 8 wins or 4-5 wins. I doubt it will be much other than that. But I am sticking to 8

JacketFan137

Banned
Winning three games a year for three years in a row and losing the last two by a combined 100-0 will tend to result in fans demanding that the coach be fired. That said, we can continue the way we are going and be happy with all that money from the ACC while losing 8 or 9 games a year trending downwards to Duke, Tulane, and Vanderbilt territory.
i said in this thread he should be fired lol i think that’s 100% justified and i haven’t been arguing that. i’m just saying to that user that while it’s nice to say you don’t care about the final score you just want us to play well the vocal part of this fanbase isn’t gonna feel the same way

JacketFan137

Banned
I think you are going through a bunch of false confirmation bias. If we win or play like we know what we are doing and have a chance but lose, most fans here can accept that. (Probably blame the refs)

Most of us don't give a rats butt what we do to get there. Tech is better than what CGC has given us is the problem. He needs to do a historical level transformation from the last three years this year or he will go down as by far the worst coach Tech has ever had.

For what it is worth, I am feeling fairly optimistic about this up coming season. I predicted 8 wins or 4-5 wins. I doubt it will be much other than that. But I am sticking to 8
no i think there’s a pretty large contingent of “moving away from the option got us into this mess”. i think some people aren’t gonna support anything but the option

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I would hope the committed posters here would recognize that the current state of the program is unprecedented in the modern social media era.

And so the thread is manifest of both the frustration and ability to easily vent. I would likewise hope that moderators recognize this avoid the temptation to enable, basically, censorship of “disapproved” content.

The thread will die naturally when enough people avoid and disregard. And that choice — if not taken away — lies with each of us.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
i said in this thread he should be fired lol i think that’s 100% justified and i haven’t been arguing that. i’m just saying to that user that while it’s nice to say you don’t care about the final score you just want us to play well the vocal part of this fanbase isn’t gonna feel the same way
What I want...is to win football games like we did under Coach Johnson and the much lamented triple option. I did not read the whole thread and do not care to read about Coach Collins being fired when it is apparent that he is not going to be fired any time soon for reasons already discussed at length.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

I think most fans will support improvement if they see it, even if we don’t win 7 or 8 games. The problem I see is if the results are ambiguous. Then confirmation bias will set in for all sides.

I’m one of those who feels CPJ wasn’t treated fairly by a very vocal minority of fans almost as if he was being judged by a different standard because his offense hurt their eyes. Here too I think the majority of fans don’t care what offense we run as long as we win. That certainly fits me.

The open question for me is whether Tech needs a “special offense” to succeed. All I know is this has often been the case in the past. Heisman, Dodd and Ross being prime examples of unique and innovative offenses. O’Leary is the only successful coach I can think of that was fairly conventional. Gailey certainly was but his offenses underperformed in my opinion.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
It’s really going to be up to Collins whether the thread dies off. If he does well in the Fall then it will naturally demise. I hope it does bc then GT football will be good again but don’t think you can just shut it down bc it will just show up again.

JacketFan137

Banned
I think most fans will support improvement if they see it, even if we don’t win 7 or 8 games. The problem I see is if the results are ambiguous. Then confirmation bias will set in for all sides.

I’m one of those who feels CPJ wasn’t treated fairly by a very vocal minority of fans almost as if he was being judged by a different standard because his offense hurt their eyes. Here too I think the majority of fans don’t care what offense we run as long as we win. That certainly fits me.

The open question for me is whether Tech needs a “special offense” to succeed. All I know is this has often been the case in the past. Heisman, Dodd and Ross being prime examples of unique and innovative offenses. O’Leary is the only successful coach I can think of that was fairly conventional. Gailey certainly was but his offenses underperformed in my opinion.
i don’t think heisman and dodd should really be used in this conversation because football then was basically a different sport, with the nfl dream not being such a recruiting selling point.

going back and looking at the fire paul johnson threads on this forum it did seem like the same balance as we see here in regards to some people wanting him out, lots making excuses and a few very vocal guys being adamant about him leaving. people always want the tech coach fired and the backup qb to be the starter. it’s a tale as old as time lol

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Can all the fire CGC debates/posts be moved to the correct thread? Lol. This has quickly turned into fire CGC 2.0
What thread?
Animated GIF

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
i don’t think heisman and dodd should really be used in this conversation because football then was basically a different sport, with the nfl dream not being such a recruiting selling point.

going back and looking at the fire paul johnson threads on this forum it did seem like the same balance as we see here in regards to some people wanting him out, lots making excuses and a few very vocal guys being adamant about him leaving. people always want the tech coach fired and the backup qb to be the starter. it’s a tale as old as time lol
Not sure I understand your first paragraph. Regardless of the era, Tech has pretty much always had to be innovative relative to other programs. That has never changed. The “must recruit NFL talent to win” is not going to work for us if the standard is Alabama and Georgia. Unless some major changes occur in NCAA football. Right now, with all our supposed NFL talent, we would get smoked by Army who has zero NFL talent.

No, I’m leaning more and more to the notion we need to be different to be competitive. How different and what kind of different is the only question to me. 1990 was a great example of winning with a unique system and without a lot of NFL talent. Especially on offense.

Criticism of past coaches, other than Lewis, seems to have been overblown when compared to the current program. Those other coaches at least had winning seasons and had teams that at least looked like they were capable of pulling off an upset, winning a division or going to a bowl. But we will have more data this season to make coaching comparisons and relative measurements of fan criticism. It has to get better, right? 😊

GTZachary

Jolly Good Fellow
I do not grant you permission to lock the thread I started. The following criteria must be met before locking the thread:

1. Geoff Collins must be fired
2. You must send me 1 bitcoin and a football signed by Tom Brady.

Mainly just 1 though. You essentially just started another thread with the same sentiment.