Should New OC Faulkner work for uga in the CFP?

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
"We will work 365 days a year to dominate with our in state rival"
That is how it applies with Faulkner.

Joking aside, I don't really have a problem with it. Faulkner hit the road recruiting quickly after he was hired. He is work hard for GT right now. The time for the College Football Playoff is during a recruiting dead period, so it's impact to us will be minimal.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
We do it all the time. I have probably, on average, 15-20 active litigation matters that I'm involved with. These matters are in varying points of the process. There are many matters that I have been disclosed as a named expert, submitted an expert report (on my company's letterhead), and have provided deposition testimony. The contract is between the law firm and my company. I am only an employee and I have a non-compete clause in my contract. If I go to another firm, there will be an agreement that if the law firm wants to retain me as their expert after I leave, that I will work through my former company as an hourly contract employee, while working for my new company. This is standard practice in the forensic consulting industry. It doesn't always happen that way, but that depends more on your company than the industry.
Yeah, I think working as contract (gig) employee is lot less relevant to college coaching than working as a full time employee for a corporation.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I have used that argument in the past, so in some respect I agree with you.

However, in this case, there is a clear conflict of interest in working for a direct competitor that makes the analogy very relevant.
Relevant, yes. Exact? No. In this case it's really hard because the question is really "is what Buster Faulkner currently doing for UGA harming GT?" If the answer is "no" then there's a choice to be made of whether to let him continue until the championship game is over. If the answer is "yes" then, IMHO, there's no choice to be made and he has to leave there immediately. In this case I think the answer is somewhere in between and I'm not smart enough to know how close it is to either side. I read what you said and I think "yeah that makes total sense, I completely agree" and then I read what another might say and think "and that makes total sense, too" and I'm torn. And I'm glad I don't have to make the choice :ROFLMAO:

All that having been said I would MUCH prefer him to stop what he's doing there right now and be 100% devoted to GT.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It takes a long time to wash the UGAG stench off of a man. That is why I always advise against having anyone who has ever been associated with the Dwags being automatically disqualified from any employment regarding Georgia Tech athletics. I'm hoping this dude proves me wrong but I will remain skeptical until he proves otherwise.

Go Jackets!

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Relevant, yes. Exact? No. In this case it's really hard because the question is really "is what Buster Faulkner currently doing for UGA harming GT?" If the answer is "no" then there's a choice to be made of whether to let him continue until the championship game is over. If the answer is "yes" then, IMHO, there's no choice to be made and he has to leave there immediately. In this case I think the answer is somewhere in between and I'm not smart enough to know how close it is to either side. I read what you said and I think "yeah that makes total sense, I completely agree" and then I read what another might say and think "and that makes total sense, too" and I'm torn. And I'm glad I don't have to make the choice :ROFLMAO:

All that having been said I would MUCH prefer him to stop what he's doing there right now and be 100% devoted to GT.
I'd like to rephrase this a little bit... "is what Buster Faulkner currently doing for UGA aiding and abetting the enemy?"

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I have used that argument in the past, so in some respect I agree with you.

However, in this case, there is a clear conflict of interest in working for a direct competitor that makes the analogy very relevant.
Tech does not currently compete directly with Ugag for recruits. Any arrangement with them would be for the purpose of enhancing our ability to compete with them for recruits in the future.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I'd like to rephrase this a little bit... "is what Buster Faulkner currently doing for UGA aiding and abetting the enemy?"
And this is yet another example of me saying "yeah I see that argument, too." That's a totally fair characterization. How does the old joke go? On one hand you've got a good point. On another hand he's got a good point. And on another hand... wait that's three hands.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
That is how it applies with Faulkner.

Joking aside, I don't really have a problem with it. Faulkner hit the road recruiting quickly after he was hired. He is work hard for GT right now. The time for the College Football Playoff is during a recruiting dead period, so it's impact to us will be minimal.
You don't think it impacts to Tech to have our coaches helping ugag to another national championship? You don't think ugag winning another national championship would help them and hurt us? REALLY???

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I swear some of y'all have little man syndrome!

Yes, it's me, I do. I have a well-earned 'little brother' complex after watching my school's team go 6-18 since I was 12, became a fan and decided I wanted to go here. Watching them get all the media love and attention year in and year out. And finally, watching them live up to the hype they've always gotten and actually become the best team in the country, while ours hit a near all time low.

So, no, I don't want to see anyone associated with us help them in any way. However petty and silly and insignificant-to-the-grand-scheme it might be.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
You don't think it impacts to Tech to have our coaches helping ugag to another national championship? You don't think ugag winning another national championship would help them and hurt us? REALLY???
Whether I like it or not, it does not affect us at all. uGA is in a totally different tier than us right now. Recruits view the two programs in a different light. They are on their way to a national title and we are averaging 3-4 wins a year.

To be totally honest, I think our constant obsession with uGA doesn't help us either. It solidifies the view that we are the little brother program. GT needs to have an identity independent of "we hate georgia".

If Faulkner is a good hire, it will do a lot more for GT in the long run than uga winning another title will hurt us. They are likely going to win another anyways.

Tadams6599

Jolly Good Fellow
Would you be okay with me slapping your wife in the face if I give you a high five after? That is the equivalent value we'd be getting from your scenario.
i do not condone speaking of hitting women, but guess it says more about you behind your little screen, more of a positive spin on what we as fans have no control over is what i was going for.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Whether I like it or not, it does not affect us at all. uGA is in a totally different tier than us right now. Recruits view the two programs in a different light. They are on their way to a national title and we are averaging 3-4 wins a year.

To be totally honest, I think our constant obsession with uGA doesn't help us either. It solidifies the view that we are the little brother program. GT needs to have an identity independent of "we hate georgia".

If Faulkner is a good hire, it will do a lot more for GT in the long run than uga winning another title will hurt us. They are likely going to win another anyways.
Well said.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
i do not condone speaking of hitting women, but guess it says more about you behind your little screen, more of a positive spin on what we as fans have no control over is what i was going for.
I guess context is too foreign a concept for you to understand what was said if that's what you are getting hung up on.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

You are delusional if you honestly believe that.

thebull35

Jolly Good Fellow

I can't like this entire post enough. It's beginning to be embarrassing how much Tech fans bellyache about their obsession. It is indeed why we are referred to as the Little Nerd School on North Ave.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I can't like this entire post enough. It's beginning to be embarrassing how much Tech fans bellyache about their obsession. It is indeed why we are referred to as the Little Nerd School on North Ave.
I've never heard anyone call Tech that except you just now. The overwhelming majority of ugag fans and people in metro Atlanta in general don't even know that Tech is on North Ave.