Should New OC Faulkner work for uga in the CFP?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

From the article:
Georgia saw offensive analyst Buster Faulkner move on to the offensive coordinator job at Georgia Tech earlier this week, but the Bulldogs’ head coach isn’t ruling out the possibility of Faulkner still helping out for the College Football Playoffs. Kirby Smart spoke to reporters on Wednesday as he and his team received their official invitation to play in the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl, and there he said that discussions are still to be had about Faulkner’s ability to be with the Bulldogs through the remainder of this season.

“We’re going to determine that, probably at a later date. We’re still in conversations with Buster and Brent (Key),” Smart said. “It’s not something that’s pressing right now because he doesn’t really do anything at practice. We’re practicing right now, and he’s a supplement to ideas with Coach Monken. He can certainly still do that from the position he’s in, and we’ll determine that at a later date.”

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer

From the article:
Georgia saw offensive analyst Buster Faulkner move on to the offensive coordinator job at Georgia Tech earlier this week, but the Bulldogs’ head coach isn’t ruling out the possibility of Faulkner still helping out for the College Football Playoffs. Kirby Smart spoke to reporters on Wednesday as he and his team received their official invitation to play in the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl, and there he said that discussions are still to be had about Faulkner’s ability to be with the Bulldogs through the remainder of this season.

“We’re going to determine that, probably at a later date. We’re still in conversations with Buster and Brent (Key),” Smart said. “It’s not something that’s pressing right now because he doesn’t really do anything at practice. We’re practicing right now, and he’s a supplement to ideas with Coach Monken. He can certainly still do that from the position he’s in, and we’ll determine that at a later date.”
Magic No GIF by Morphin

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow

From the article:

If I'm Brent Key, I get the rivalry waters stirring and straight up tell Smart to screw off trying to tamper with our new OC. If I'm Faulkner, I ask my new employer what time they want me in the office. It's a job guys, you can't leave one job to go to another and still dabble in your previous job. Especially if you're new job is with a rival. Move on Smart, he's ours now!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If I'm Brent Key, I get the rivalry waters stirring and straight up tell Smart to screw off trying to tamper with our new OC. If I'm Faulkner, I ask my new employer what time they want me in the office. It's a job guys, you can't leave one job to go to another and still dabble in your previous job. Especially if you're new job is with a rival. Move on Smart, he's ours now!
Let's explore the possible benefits of this.

Maybe Key and Smart are working out some sort of financial arrangement. We need money, it's playoff time and their analyst (our new OC) is apparently important to them.
The longer Faulkner lingers on over there, perhaps the greater chance he'll snag one or two of their blue-chippers to follow him to Tech.
Also, I wonder if it could be a good thing for Faulkner to recruit for us both during and after serving as an offensive analyst for the probable two-in-a-row national champions.

I imagine Key wouldn't entertain the notion of Faulkner hanging around over there unless there's something in it for Tech.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Let's explore the possible benefits of this.

Maybe Key and Smart are working out some sort of financial arrangement. We need money, it's playoff time and their analyst (our new OC) is apparently important to them.
The longer Faulkner lingers on over there, perhaps the greater chance he'll snag one or two of their blue-chippers to follow him to Tech.
Also, I wonder if it could be a good thing for Faulkner to recruit for us both during and after serving as an offensive analyst for the probable two-in-a-row national champions.

I imagine Key wouldn't entertain the notion of Faulkner hanging around over there unless there's something in it for Tech.
I don't think "hanging around over there" is in the cards. Key certainly wants Faulkner to help close on recruits and transfers.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Yes, I'll even take one or two of their cast-offs if they can reasonably make their way thru classes for a few years.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

From the article:

I sure ****ing hope not. The last thing I want to see is Tech's new OC helping ugag to another national championship.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
By the way, I just noticed that we have former Ugag OC Jim Chaney as a consultant. I know he is 60 years old, but I wonder why we did not offer the OC position to him. Anyone have any intel they can share?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
By the way, I just noticed that we have former Ugag OC Jim Chaney as a consultant. I know he is 60 years old, but I wonder why we did not offer the OC position to him. Anyone have any intel they can share?

Rumor is he no longer wants the hours of a full time coach. Right now he's doing analyst work remotely. It's possible he might not be a consultant for GT next year.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
What kind of statement is this?

He doesn't really do anything at practice.
He is not allowed to perform on field coaching as an analyst but, but, but is that really followed? UNC got caught a few years ago with a picture of an "analyst" in the local newspaper at practice with the players. Forced to resign as a NCAA violation. Hard to enforce.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Just read an AJC article that pretty much says smart wants Faulkner to stay for the games since he is the communicator between bennett and monken. smart doesn't want that relationship broken.

Man I hope HCBK has a big pair and stands up. How great would it be that us hiring an offensive analyst is the reason the mutts lose to a somewhat depleted OSU!

Let's get that bad blood flowing once again!

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Just read an AJC article that pretty much says smart wants Faulkner to stay for the games since he is the communicator between bennett and monken. smart doesn't want that relationship broken.

Man I hope HCBK has a big pair and stands up. How great would it be that us hiring an offensive analyst is the reason the mutts lose to a somewhat depleted OSU!

Let's get that bad blood flowing once again!
I posted this earlier, but Key hired Faulkner to do a job, and part of that job is critical right now. The OC has an important role in closing deals with recruits and transfers. And, probably with guys on the current team. Having "a big pair" means nothing if there is a clause in Faulkner's contract that defines his leaving date at uGA and beginning date at GT. You cannot work for both teams.

Smart is probably just lobbying to have Faulkner in the press box during the CFP games, but that could be very problematic if he has been recruiting guys and telling them about the rivalry with uGA.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I posted this earlier, but Key hired Faulkner to do a job, and part of that job is critical right now. The OC has an important role in closing deals with recruits and transfers. And, probably with guys on the current team. Having "a big pair" means nothing if there is a clause in Faulkner's contract that defines his leaving date at uGA and beginning date at GT. You cannot work for both teams.

Smart is probably just lobbying to have Faulkner in the press box during the CFP games, but that could be very problematic if he has been recruiting guys and telling them about the rivalry with uGA.
Key needs to tell Smart to go to hell with his football team and that it’s not our job to help them win a title.