Should New OC Faulkner work for uga in the CFP?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I am legitimately curious. Part of me thinks no way they’re that stupid to openly talk about something that is an NCAA violation? I’d also hate to lose our newly acquired OC. But I’d be THRILLED to see the dwags championship stripped as a result. Very conflicted about this.

They wouldn't strip a championship for this. At most they would pay a fine and lose a couple of schollys.

But since they are uga, no big deal from the NCAA...

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I posted this thread
Thread 'What is college football analyst?'
https://gtswarm.com/threads/what-is-college-football-analyst.26287/

Basically trying to figure out what a college analyst is and isn’t allowed to do. From some initial searching, an analyst is not allowed to do any coaching at practices apart from discussing with coaches.
So our guy has nothing he ever wants to talk about with any of the other coaches at any practice ever. Sounds line an incredibly valuable assistant to me.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If he is on our payroll and under contract, then he has no business coaching in any capacity for another team.

Or, if he does, they should understand the only reason he's there is to gather intel and generally eff their ish up.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Lots of talk about this being better for UGA than if he’d fully split already but the reverse is true too, ya? “Ok, you can announce that I’m the new OC, but I won’t hit campus or recruit for you until the playoffs are done” seems strictly worse for the GT program. Just as easy to frame this in terms of UGA giving something up.

If I were UGA I’d be worried about him being in close contact with their players longer, especially if the relations with Monken are so strained. If they want him anyway that speaks highly of him.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
How It Worked:

Monken: Tell that &%&*%^ that he better get his (^*&*&^V straight or I'm gonna __))(*)((*^%%$#!

Faulkner: "Monken was a tad upset with that last series, Stet. See if you can tighten up your reads."

Stetson: "Hey, Monk can go ^#%$% himself, okay. And &%$^ *&Y876 (*Y(* while he's at it."

Faulkner: "Monk, Stet says he understands what you're looking for and the next series will be better."

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Did Kirby actually start working at Ugag prior to leaving Bama or did he wait until after the bowl game to start working at Ugag? Generally, you do not work at two programs at the same time. Faulkner has already started working at Tech.

Yes, he was already working at UGA. Dan Lanning did it last year, too. He was DC at UGA while recruiting and hiring his staff at Oregon. Working both jobs is the norm in this situation. Again, the UGA/GT thing makes it awkward, but all aspects of this are very common, including splitting time between both jobs.

How many of us have started at a new job while finishing our two weeks at our previous job? I’ve done that multiple times. This is essentially the big time college football version of that.

EddieK

Jolly Good Fellow
How many of us have started at a new job while finishing our two weeks at our previous job? I’ve done that multiple times. This is essentially the big time college football version of that.
Zero. Also, if I had any employees that were going to a competitor, they didn't need to work out a two week, they were let go immediately. Now, if their start date was after their two week notice, I could see some leeway there. That's not the case here, OC Buster Faulkner has been hired and is out recruiting for us right now. Being able to work at the competitor right now shouldn't even be a question, the answer is no.

DiffusedAcorn

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes, he was already working at UGA. Dan Lanning did it last year, too. He was DC at UGA while recruiting and hiring his staff at Oregon. Working both jobs is the norm in this situation. Again, the UGA/GT thing makes it awkward, but all aspects of this are very common, including splitting time between both jobs.

The major difference is that he's not the DC or Qbs coach, he's but a lowly analyst. This has a bit of a different expectation as it's at least intended for them to be lesse "with" the team.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Zero. Also, if I had any employees that were going to a competitor, they didn't need to work out a two week, they were let go immediately. Now, if their start date was after their two week notice, I could see some leeway there. That's not the case here, OC Buster Faulkner has been hired and is out recruiting for us right now. Being able to work at the competitor right now shouldn't even be a question, the answer is no.

Well that’s a pretty normal thing that most businesses do. But you do you.

Also we’re not really the competitor in this scenario from our perspective. He’s working against UGA in recruiting, but what he does for them against Ohio state and whoever the play the next round if they get there doesn’t affect GT at all. If UGA wants to keep a guy who’s recruiting against them for another two months, that’s on them. Not us.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
The major difference is that he's not the DC or Qbs coach, he's but a lowly analyst. This has a bit of a different expectation as it's at least intended for them to be lesse "with" the team.

I understand this angle, but I also feel like if he was really a “lowly analyst” he wouldn’t have gotten hired by us in the first place. He’s obviously a very valuable piece.

Again, I don’t have strong feelings either way, but I do think the few posters acting like it would be a huge ****show by Key to allow this are being over-emotional.

DiffusedAcorn

Jolly Good Fellow
I understand this angle, but I also feel like if he was really a “lowly analyst” he wouldn’t have gotten hired by us in the first place. He’s obviously a very valuable piece.

Again, I don’t have strong feelings either way, but I do think the few posters acting like it would be a huge ****show by Key to allow this are being over-emotional.
I know he obviously does not function as a lowly analyst, but that is still his title, which is what muddies the waters. I personally don't care, I'd prefer he didn't because I don't see him helping them as being at all beneficial to us, but I imagine Key and Faulkner already worked this out, and I'd get him wanting to finish business and perhaps get another ring.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
How It Worked:

Monken: Tell that &%&*%^ that he better get his (^*&*&^V straight or I'm gonna __))(*)((*^%%$#!

Faulkner: "Monken was a tad upset with that last series, Stet. See if you can tighten up your reads."

Stetson: "Hey, Monk can go ^#%$% himself, okay. And &%$^ *&Y876 (*Y(* while he's at it."

Faulkner: "Monk, Stet says he understands what you're looking for and the next series will be better."
Sounds great. Let’s get Faulkner out of there and make it a mess for them against the Buckeyes.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Seems like we ought to be pretty happy to learn that OCBF is such a valuable member of the National Champions brain trust.

Maybe the haters will quiet down a bit. (Well, I can dream, can't I?)
Yeah I love it! And we also employ him and hate them. So let’s do whatever we can to prevent them from winning.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
I suspect the UGA Athletic Department hasn’t terminated Faulkner’s contract with them yet.

Faulkner is now on two separate payrolls.

It was worked out between UGA (Smart) and GT (Key) in advance.

And UGA will finally terminate its contract with Faulkner after the CFP playoffs end.

No worries.