Should New OC Faulkner work for uga in the CFP?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I posted this earlier, but Key hired Faulkner to do a job, and part of that job is critical right now. The OC has an important role in closing deals with recruits and transfers. And, probably with guys on the current team. Having "a big pair" means nothing if there is a clause in Faulkner's contract that defines his leaving date at uGA and beginning date at GT. You cannot work for both teams.

Smart is probably just lobbying to have Faulkner in the press box during the CFP games, but that could be very problematic if he has been recruiting guys and telling them about the rivalry with uGA.
I think it could enhance his recruiting status if he's an analyst for the national champion, which Ugag is odds on favorite to be. It could help us pull in offensive recruits. Right now, Tech and the pups aren't recruiting in the same spheres.
And I can imagine there could be $$ in it for Tech.
I'm going to trust Brent's judgement on this, to do whatever is in the best long-term interest of the Jackets. Buster would only be off the recruiting trail for a couple of days or so at most.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I very much doubt this is the case.

I think Key would understand how wholly unacceptable it would be to have one of our coaches assist them. It's unpalatable enough to be hiring one of theirs. If OCBF insists on moonlighting for our most hated rival, then he should be fired. If Key agreed to allow him to do so, then I'd question his decision making. Talk about a way to instantly alienate the fanbase!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Tell Kirby we will let him help if they pay us his salary for next year. If not, kick rocks
There could well be some money in it for the Jackets.
I very much doubt this is the case.

I think Key would understand how wholly unacceptable it would be to have one of our coaches assist them. It's unpalatable enough to be hiring one of theirs. If OCBF insists on moonlighting for our most hated rival, then he should be fired. If Key agreed to allow him to do so, then I'd question his decision making. Talk about a way to instantly alienate the fanbase!
It's the age-old question - do we love Tech more than we hate the pups?

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
I can’t imagine that it would be allowed from a NCAA standpoint. Faulkner is no longer a UGA Football staff employee so how could he possibly work for them now “just during the playoffs” while also being an OC for GT?

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
This could be a very delicate situation and tricky one for Key to navigate.
It’s a catch 22. If Key allows him to coach for the playoffs is GT financially compensated for loaning Faulkner’s time. And if so what are the terms. Because surely if Key allows it for the Chic Fil A game then UGA will surely want him for the National Championship game and what parameters are set for that and how would Faulkner be loyal to his duties with GT.
Then on the other hand, Key tells Kirby to pound sand and then Kirby throws a pile of money and gives him a OC in waiting title and we lose Faulkner anyway. Hope there’s a HUGE buyout clause if Faulkner leaves early on. What’s best long term for GT?
Overall this is a pretty petty ask from Smart to Key. Smart should just accept the fact Faulkner is gone and let it go. Bennett must already be missing Faulkner’s presence/insight on defensive breakdowns and reads.
This is going to get interesting.

Last edited:

EddieK

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm confused, are people saying he's working for that other school right now? He's out recruiting for us in our gear, why is it even a question if he could coach for them in the playoffs? He's employed by us now.

ME22

Georgia Tech Fan
I have absolutely zero problem with Faulkner being in UGA’s coaching box during the playoffs as long as it doesn’t interfere with his GT duties. We really need to get over this UGA fixation and focus on being in the top half of the ACC at the moment. Until we do this, worrying about UGA is a waste of time.
If it was Michigan or TCU or osu I’d still prefer he leave once we hired him. What good does it do us, or him, for him to wait to be here

EddieK

Jolly Good Fellow
I have absolutely zero problem with Faulkner being in UGA’s coaching box during the playoffs as long as it doesn’t interfere with his GT duties. We really need to get over this UGA fixation and focus on being in the top half of the ACC at the moment. Until we do this, worrying about UGA is a waste of time.
I do have an issue with it, he's employed by us right now. It has nothing to do with worrying about what the other school is doing. Signing day is coming up, transfer portal activity is high, and recruiting is vital for our new staff. You're employed by a competitor, it shouldn't even be a question if you could work for both places, now if we hired him after the playoffs, that's a completely different scenario. He shouldn't be working at both places at the same time.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I talked with a former classmate who is heavily tied in with the uga football program. His son is one of the student assistants on the sidelines. Apparently Monken is, how shall we say this, not very good with his interpersonal skills. Enough so that Faulkner has been the go between not just for Bennett, but for others as well. Kirby is really worried that it might blow up in his face on the national stage without that tried and true intermediary in place.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess I am in the minority. A staffer, who will be our offensive coordinator on a national championship team only brings us more attention and publicity. Plus, who knows what players he may be able to convince to come here later. I say let him coach these games. It only benefits us.
I'm skeptical of this being much of a benefit to us. He was on their team last year for the natty so that's not something new so the marginal benefit would be the fact that he's in the natty again this year (assuming they make it)... but he's just an analyst. I'm not sure how much press or attention that's going to get. I'd be a little surprised if it even comes up in the broadcast during the playoffs.

I don't really care if Key is sticking it to Kirby I just hope he's expressing to Faulkner how much work there is to do and how much his focus is needed on his new role

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
I talked with a former classmate who is heavily tied in with the uga football program. His son is one of the student assistants on the sidelines. Apparently Monken is, how shall we say this, not very good with his interpersonal skills. Enough so that Faulkner has been the go between not just for Bennett, but for others as well. Kirby is really worried that it might blow up in his face on the national stage without that tried and true intermediary in place.
Even more of a reason for us to demand his immediate place here at Tech. A chance for things to look embarrassing for ugag on a national stage? Sign me up!