Shapiro needs to let it go

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Eh. Paul was all the rage on the local radio when he first got hired. And he beat UGA his first year. The talking heads were giving GT the same coverage then that they are giving GT now.

Sometime around 2010/2011 though, something happened and the media turned on Paul. Maybe the "I'm going to say it to you real slow . . . " interview - I don't know.

In any event, regardless of what folks think about PJ or Collins, Steak Shapiro is an ******* that made fun of a guy with ALS. He deserves no respect. I won't be listening, regardless of the positive pub he gives GT.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm surprised to hear that Shapiro is still remotely relevant. I switched to Sirius years ago and will never go back to the black hole that is the entirety of Atlanta radio, AM and FM. There's no good sports talk and there's no good rock.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I'm surprised to hear that Shapiro is still remotely relevant. I switched to Sirius years ago and will never go back to the black hole that is the entirety of Atlanta radio, AM and FM. There's no good sports talk and there's no good rock.

Yeah I am always streaming music in the car. Atlanta radio is all pop and awful nu-country.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
680 isn't sports radio. It is entertainment radio based loosely on sports. They do score reports, but all radio stations do. They sometimes interview sports personalities. The majority of their programming is shtick. The afternoon(or at least used to be afternoon) show was the worst. They had sound samples that they played over and over and over and over. I haven't listened to them in a very long time, not because of any perception that they are anti-GT but because it isn't good entertainment.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
680 isn't sports radio. It is entertainment radio based loosely on sports. They do score reports, but all radio stations do. They sometimes interview sports personalities. The majority of their programming is shtick. The afternoon(or at least used to be afternoon) show was the worst. They had sound samples that they played over and over and over and over. I haven't listened to them in a very long time, not because of any perception that they are anti-GT but because it isn't good entertainment.

They torture dudes in Guantanamo with 680 re-runs. Geneva Convention did not foresee this level of depravity.

BuckeyeJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Eh. Paul was all the rage on the local radio when he first got hired. And he beat UGA his first year. The talking heads were giving GT the same coverage then that they are giving GT now.

Sometime around 2010/2011 though, something happened and the media turned on Paul. Maybe the "I'm going to say it to you real slow . . . " interview - I don't know.

In any event, regardless of what folks think about PJ or Collins, Steak Shapiro is an ******* that made fun of a guy with ALS. He deserves no respect. I won't be listening, regardless of the positive pub he gives GT.

Do you have a link to the ALS thing? If true, how did he keep his job?

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I actually just gave 680 a whirl for the first time this morning hoping to catch some clips of yesterday's Collins interview. Some of those comments about CPJ were absolutely scathing. Where they like that in years past? Or are they just letting it fly now since he's retired?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Yes, Chris Dimino and Nick Cellini were in on the skit, as well, although Dimino seemed uncomfortable with it. The whole thing ended up causing 790 to drop the sports talk format and eventually most of the on-air "talent" migrated to 680

Last edited:

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
First, I would not doubt that steaky poo knows the reaction he would get - and he is.

As for CPJ, he has his good & bad points like every human being.

That being said his shtick, unless he had a lot more 2009 & 2014 type years, plays better in statesboro than in the 404.
Media and fans started getting tired of PJ and his personality the moment he started to struggle. That's not a PJ thing, that's the "what have you done for me lately" world we live in. If it wasn't his personality, media and fans would've nitpicked other things about him I'm sure cause that's what fans and media do.

Right now, fans and media are still in the honeymoon phase of the Collins tenure, but I'm certain that if 4-5 years from now, he's going 6-6 or 7-5, fans and media will be tired of his "shtick" about the Waffle House and the 404.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
CPJ has the unfortunate distinction of being the guy before CGC. Not only that but he is someone who has a clear identity as a coach. That identity becomes a container for everything that stands out negatively as contrast between CGC and him. In reality, CGC is supremely different among coaches in his clarity of vision, energy, branding, and attunement to the whims of teenagers. I don't that any other coach in the world could do a fraction of what CGC has done for our identity in this short of a time. Unfortunately for CPJ, CGC's strengths get normalized and appear as CPJ's lacks.

I also want to moderate my enthusiasm for CGC. Producing a consistent winner on the field is the ultimate measure of a coach, and we have no data yet to judge CGC in this regard. And if CPJ were to have done that consistently, he wouldn't need to have CGC's strengths for the perception of our program to have been much different.