Shapiro needs to let it go

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I dunno what this is referencing. I assume Steak is trashing CPJ again this morning? Or are we talking about OJ lawyer Robert Shapiro? Perhaps political commentator Ben Shapiro? Just kidding. The hour of that show that CGC was on is the only hour I will likely ever listen to. Honestly, the only thing on that station worth a listen is *maybe* the Chuck Oliver show.

panther42

Jolly Good Fellow
I am not a huge fan of Steak, but I have been astounded by the coverage that GT is getting on their "FLAGSHIP" since CGC has taken over the reins. Paul really did himself a disservice by not interacting, not trying to grow the footprint, and in general being a curmudgeon. Because he was such an d***, 680 really didn't cover them, and that got them a lot of bad publicity. Now they take shots at him because Tech has a coach who embraces the media, and the city as a whole, and the shots are their way of saying "See...we never had a problem with GT, we had a problem with CPJ."

-source....daily 680 listener.

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I am one who wanted CPJ gone but, it is over now and the dirt throwing needs to stop.

I would be interested in knowing what was said and what the context was. Years ago Shapiro responded to an email I sent him and in so many words indicated that Tech football would never get sterling coverage as long as CPJ was coach

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I am not a huge fan of Steak, but I have been astounded by the coverage that GT is getting on their "FLAGSHIP" since CGC has taken over the reins. Paul really did himself a disservice by not interacting, not trying to grow the footprint, and in general being a curmudgeon. Because he was such an d***, 680 really didn't cover them, and that got them a lot of bad publicity. Now they take shots at him because Tech has a coach who embraces the media, and the city as a whole, and the shots are their way of saying "See...we never had a problem with GT, we had a problem with CPJ."

-source....daily 680 listener.

Collins is a much better politician. But CPJ also never suffered a fool. And the 680 group are a bunch of morons.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
No one liked paul that didnt get him. The sissy butthurt types were really put off by him easily. Pauls worst enemy at times was paul. He never saw that though. He had an opinion and a strong one which made him kinda cool if u ask me. He stood for something in a world where everything has become grey. We need more pauls and less steaks.

With that said paul coulda still been paul and tried to embrace outside gt and some new trends. But. Thats what made paul, paul.

Still some of the best moments in my life with gt ball were under him. And GOL.

So he earned my appreciation.

If collins plays for 3 ACC championships. Wins one. Plays for two orange bowls. Wins one. He will be legendary. We just did that. But we did it pauls way which upset some.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
No one liked paul that didnt get him. The sissy butthurt types were really put off by him easily. Pauls worst enemy at times was paul. He never saw that though. He had an opinion and a strong one which made him kinda cool if u ask me. He stood for something in a world where everything has become grey. We need more pauls and less steaks.

With that said paul coulda still been paul and tried to embrace outside gt and some new trends. But. Thats what made paul, paul.

Still some of the best moments in my life with gt ball were under him. And GOL.

So he earned my appreciation.

If collins plays for 3 ACC championships. Wins one. Plays for two orange bowls. Wins one. He will be legendary. We just did that. But we did it pauls way which upset some.

Your job is to post this in each of the thinly-veiled anti-CPJ threads that pop up every other day.

Shiii, if our own fans won't let it go, how do we expect these radio show morons to do so?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
One thing that had me shaking my head just a tiny bit was when one of the talking heads quoted a listener who said (paraphrasing) "I'm not even an alumnus but I'm excited about taking a 5 minute Uber to GT on Saturday because they decided to play modern football...."

I know it's small, but why go there? They were giving each other air high fives and fist bumps in the studio.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Paul wasn’t well liked, and that’s nobody’s fault but his own. That doesn’t just include media as plenty of large donors, fans, and even alumni in the GT football family were put off by the guy. He was not cordial to a lot of people, and picked fights along the way — he never really got the sales and marketing aspect to being the front man at a large program, if he did he would have had even more success as a coach.

It is what it is. I, for one, am glad a lot of people are getting back on board with the program.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Paul wasn’t well liked, and that’s nobody’s fault but his own. That doesn’t just include media as plenty of large donors, fans, and even alumni in the GT football family were put off by the guy. He was not cordial to a lot of people, and picked fights along the way — he never really got the sales and marketing aspect to being the front man at a large program, if he did he would have had even more success as a coach.

It is what it is. I, for one, am glad a lot of people are getting back on board with the program.
I get that, but that wasn't Paul, as 33 said. One of his biggest selling points to recruits is that he was genuine, what you see is what you get. There's nothing fake about him. If he tried to put on the schmoozer hat like our current HC, it would have stood out like a sore thumb as fake. That said, he was extremely engaging and charismatic with the national sports media in studio interview format. He was also known as a great key note speaker at dinner events.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
First, I would not doubt that steaky poo knows the reaction he would get - and he is.

As for CPJ, he has his good & bad points like every human being.

That being said his shtick, unless he had a lot more 2009 & 2014 type years, plays better in statesboro than in the 404.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I like CPJ the person. I've met him a few times at a local joint. He is extremely personable.

I think CPJ's "problem" was he took things way too personally, and never learned how to turn a jab into a joke...until the end. We saw how he took all the criticisms of his offense and turned them into jokes when he did the coaches show. That's the CPJ that could charm a room. I think at times he was too focused on the criticism, and not the bigger picture of GT the program.

CPJ's record speaks for itself. He will be on my Mt Rushmore of GT coaches. I just wish he would have done himself a favor by being more personable and charming...the way he is in private settings. That's not selling out or taking crap, that's just not letting the little things bother you, and seeing the big picture.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

Coaches are pretty much the product of who they first learn from. Paul learned from Erk Russell who was also pretty much a straight shooter old ball coach with a cigar in his mouth and an expectation that you do your job.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
I get that, but that wasn't Paul, as 33 said. One of his biggest selling points to recruits is that he was genuine, what you see is what you get. There's nothing fake about him. If he tried to put on the schmoozer hat like our current HC, it would have stood out like a sore thumb as fake. That said, he was extremely engaging and charismatic with the national sports media in studio interview format. He was also known as a great key note speaker at dinner events.

Exactly. He was engaging when he wanted to be. And he chose not to wear that hat all the time.

He was also a total ******* when he wanted to be. The people he was *** to didn’t like him. Not sure why our fans are surprised or upset when those people say negative things about him

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. He was engaging when he wanted to be. And he chose not to wear that hat all the time.

He was also a total ******* when he wanted to be. The people he was *** to didn’t like him. Not sure why our fans are surprised or upset when those people say negative things about him
As others have stated, he didn’t suffer fools. Or jerks for that matter.