"...Set the Clock to 13 Seconds and RESTART AT READY FOR PLAY."

LibertyTurns

Banned
I just watched your link multiple times & have attempted a transcript of what the ref said:
"Prior to the stap, snap infraction #55 offense. This foul occurred under 1 minute to play the second half with game clock running. By rule, this equals a 10 second runoff. Clock operator, reset the clock to 13 seconds and restart at READY FOR PLAY."
Not sure what year this changed, but if my wife knows the rule so it’s certainly not an obscure rule. It just reeks of inexperience & the type of problem that you go thru when you try to fleet up a newbie that’s not quite ready to go yet. If it’s the harsh alternative, we’re in for a rough run.

The Temple game will be telling. We’ll know if this staff has what it takes to coach P5 football or not in 2 weeks.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
One more time. I went back and watch the last series. Here is what happened.

After the 34 second mark on 3rd and 12 to go, the Defensive player went down with an injury. The ref announced and I could hear it very clearly on the telecast, “the clock will start on the snap.”

And it did start on the snap and we made the first down. Then came the penalty , after some confusion and a lot of crowd noise you could barely hear the ref say but he did say “and clock operator start on the ready to play“

So the ref got it right and the clock operator did start the clock on the ready to play.

So I think what everybody has in their head is the first announcement from the ref that was loud and clear - that the clock started on the snap.

The second announcement after our penalty was very hard to hear over the telecast and in the stadium apparently.

Anyway that’s what happened.

Animal02

Banned

After the 34 second mark on 3rd and 12 to go, the Defensive player went down with an injury. The ref announced and I could hear it very clearly on the telecast, “the clock will start on the snap.”

And it did start on the snap and we made the first down. Then came the penalty , after some confusion and a lot of crowd noise you could barely hear the ref say but he did say “and clock operator start on the ready to play“

So the ref got it right and the clock operator did start the clock on the ready to play.

So I think what everybody has in their head is the first announcement from the ref that was loud and clear - that the clock started on the snap.

The second announcement after our penalty was very hard to hear over the telecast and in the stadium apparently.

Anyway that’s what happened.
It was very clear on the radio.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I was screaming to call a timeout when it was apparent that Tobias didn’t know the clock was running. It was the right call by Collins. The defense stopped playing due to the whistle so the TD never would have happened. There is a reason Tobias had a clear path to the end zone (the defense stopped). I’m not mad at all for Collins calling the timeout. If he doesn’t there is a chance we don’t have time to kick the field goal to tie.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck

Thanks for that. Myself and everyone else in my row swears they heard "start on the snap". Good to know I wasn't hearing things. It was a confusing sequence of plays all around. The officiating crew seemed to be struggling all day.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Link at 20:41. Am I mishearing, or did the referee clearly state that the clock operator should restart the clock at the signal for ready for play? If so, why did Collins state in his press conference that the referee stated the clock would start at the snap? Collins was adamant in the press conference that the referee announced to the stadium that the clock would start at the snap; this clip seems to indicate otherwise.

On the game broadcast the official clearly said to start the clock on the ready for play. What I'm wondering is if at some point during the discussions that Collins was having with the refs before that announcement was made (you could see on the broadcast one of the officials come over and talk to Collins) that the official said it would start on the snap. The only reason I even consider that instead of concluding that Collins misheard (which is entirely possible, potentially even probable) is that when he was asked the question the press conference he told the reporter, Kelly I think, to say what the ref had said. And Kelly said that the ref said it would start on the snap. So that's why I'm so confused. On the TV broadcast the official was quite clear that it would start on the ready for play. But someone else besides Collins also heard from the officials that it would start on the snap. At least that's what I thought was said in the press conference.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Sitting maybe 35 yards from the ref and the speaker it sounded like SNAP. All of section 101 heard SNAP.
I remember sitting about 20 rows up from the sideline at the 50 (moved there from upper deck cause there were so many holes) and I remember hearing "on the snap" as well. I think there was the penalty, but there was also a Citadel player that went down (to slow down our tempo). I think there was a media timeout somewhere in the last minute or so, which I thought was due to the injured player. If the clock was stopped for the injured player, then it starts back on the snap right?

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
On the game broadcast the official clearly said to start the clock on the ready for play. What I'm wondering is if at some point during the discussions that Collins was having with the refs before that announcement was made (you could see on the broadcast one of the officials come over and talk to Collins) that the official said it would start on the snap. The only reason I even consider that instead of concluding that Collins misheard (which is entirely possible, potentially even probable) is that when he was asked the question the press conference he told the reporter, Kelly I think, to say what the ref had said. And Kelly said that the ref said it would start on the snap. So that's why I'm so confused. On the TV broadcast the official was quite clear that it would start on the ready for play. But someone else besides Collins also heard from the officials that it would start on the snap. At least that's what I thought was said in the press conference.
I wonder if they came to him after the penalty and were asking if he wanted to burn the TO to avoid the 10 second runoff, then the clock would start on the snap. He obviously declined to use the TO, but maybe "on the snap" was still in his head.

GT_EE78

Banned
Ok, so i get that it was a right call for the TO, given what he thought at that time. I don't think it excuses him for not knowing the rule.
I'm very surprised that no one pointed that out to him before embarassing himself in that post game presser ...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Where your QB would have more speed and time to pick the right hole coming down hill? Real popular but it’s usually called a QB Draw when out of shotgun.

Yeah, I call it the 'let's turn 4th and 1 into 4th and 7' play.

With all the dline penetration we're subjecting ourselves to, I'd also call it a dicey proposition at best.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Please tell me what offensive he’s suppose to choose?

How about two running backs and the running QB, lots of option, under center snaps in short yardage and red zone to start. Work on some misdirection/reverses, screens, swing passes and occasional bombs to loosen up the D. Go for it on 4th down and 5 or less on the 35 or so. That would be a start. No more gimmicks. Get tough and get serious about moving the chains.