"...Set the Clock to 13 Seconds and RESTART AT READY FOR PLAY."

Jacket4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
I saw Yates play several times and that kid is the real deal. The staff knows that as well and do not want to waste a year of eligibility year 1 in a rebuild. That’s are future at QB. He reminds me of JT just has the it factor.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Begs the question of how TO averaged over 8 yards per carry yesterday and over 5 ypc last week. Why are we running the ball out of the shotgun on 3rd and short against 7-9 man boxes?

Also, why no screens or sweeps to Brown, the fastest player on the team? He touched the ball once yesterday. Where is the plan to get your best playmakers the ball in space?

Regarding branding, yesterday's game has been on every highlight show I have seen thus far, with ample time spent on the coaching decision during the last play of regulation. We're certainly well on our way to developing a new brand...

It’s a myth that running from under center yields better results on short yardage than shotgun. Nothing will work if you don’t block.

That has been a complaint of mine, but our QBs can’t accurately throw the ball laterally. Brown is fast but makes a lot of Freshman mistakes like running backwards. I would like to simple throws like 2 pt play to get TO some confidence

It was major loss, but fortunately the outside world expect this from us (not a Citadel loss) so they have already chalked this season up as loss and many firmly believe we are in good hands with CGC

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Link at 20:41. Am I mishearing, or did the referee clearly state that the clock operator should restart the clock at the signal for ready for play? If so, why did Collins state in his press conference that the referee stated the clock would start at the snap? Collins was adamant in the press conference that the referee announced to the stadium that the clock would start at the snap; this clip seems to indicate otherwise.
Thanks for starting this thread. I was going to start one about the 10 second runoff. Your observation adds to what I'm about to say.

This soundbite exacerbates how poorly we handled the last 27 seconds. The "sudden change" or "situational awareness" that was praised last week, was turned on its head this week, and it almost entirely points to coaching.
  1. Decision to spike the ball - Tobias had to look to the sidelines for instruction. Coaches responded by signaling the spike. You can debate whether spiking and forfeiting 1 of our 3 attempts at a TD, and it would be a conversation by itself imo, if it weren't for the more egregious decisions that followed. There's something here, imo.
  2. Snap infraction - First, it took us 4 seconds from a stopped clock to hike the ball to spike. That's problem #1. Problem #2 is the snap infraction i.e., players were not prepared for the situation.
  3. See @DenverJacket56's post below. 10 second runoff vs. taking a timeout. I mean, you almost have to try to be unprepared for that situation as a coach. It has been a rule long enough, and apparently the decision was made to sacrifice 10 seconds i.e., at least 1 attempt to the end zone, in order to preserve a timeout that we might not need. Basically, we decided to forfeit 1st down with a spike, and 2nd down with the 10 seconds runoff.
  4. Misunderstanding that the clock will start at "ready for play" vs "on the snap". Realllly bad look by Collins now in hindsight based on the postgame press conference. Needs to do a lot of damage control because this, compounded with the aforementioned, is nothing short of an indictment of coaching preparedness. For all the talk about situational awareness, we had a coaching staff with years of experience that either did not handle the pressure, or at best didn't prioritize one of the most critical aspects of their job.
#1, use our last timeout instead of running 10 seconds off the clock
#2, use the timeout to call the next 3 PASS plays and field goal on down 4 if needed
#3, any well coached team should be able to run 3 pass plays to the end zone in 25 seconds and still have time to kick the field goal if needed
CGC should know better.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Link at 20:41. Am I mishearing, or did the referee clearly state that the clock operator should restart the clock at the signal for ready for play? If so, why did Collins state in his press conference that the referee stated the clock would start at the snap? Collins was adamant in the press conference that the referee announced to the stadium that the clock would start at the snap; this clip seems to indicate otherwise.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
For 1... that's not even the right play... come on now. Let's do research before posting. That was the call to the false start.
Was it not all the same play? False start led to 10 second runoff, then clock will start at "ready for play". What am I missing? Nothing happened in between.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for starting this thread. I was going to start one about the 10 second runoff. Your observation adds to what I'm about to say.

This soundbite exacerbates how poorly we handled the last 27 seconds. The "sudden change" or "situational awareness" that was praised last week, was turned on its head this week, and it almost entirely points to coaching.
  1. Decision to spike the ball - Tobias had to look to the sidelines for instruction. Coaches responded by signaling the spike. You can debate whether spiking and forfeiting 1 of our 3 attempts at a TD, and it would be a conversation by itself imo, if it weren't for the more egregious decisions that followed. There's something here, imo.
  2. Snap infraction - First, it took us 4 seconds from a stopped clock to hike the ball to spike. That's problem #1. Problem #2 is the snap infraction i.e., players were not prepared for the situation.
  3. See @DenverJacket56's post below. 10 second runoff vs. taking a timeout. I mean, you almost have to try to be unprepared for that situation as a coach. It has been a rule long enough, and apparently the decision was made to sacrifice 10 seconds i.e., at least 1 attempt to the end zone, in order to preserve a timeout that we might not need. Basically, we decided to forfeit 1st down with a spike, and 2nd down with the 10 seconds runoff.
  4. Misunderstanding that the clock will start at "ready for play" vs "on the snap". Realllly bad look by Collins now in hindsight based on the postgame press conference. Needs to do a lot of damage control because this, compounded with the aforementioned, is nothing short of an indictment of coaching preparedness. For all the talk about situational awareness, we had a coaching staff with years of experience that either did not handle the pressure, or at best didn't prioritize one of the most critical aspects of their job.
Best post I've read on here about the situation. Nailed it!

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Well the sad part here is that I remember it like CGC does. I hear at the snap in the game, so I clearly let my emotions take control of the situation. Our head coach can’t be like me...he has to be better prepared and understand the rules at a much better level. Watching this transpire all over again REALLY makes the staff and team look bad. Perhaps they should worry less about getting everyone on the team as many reps as possible and spend some time practicing critical in game situations...

gtrower02

Georgia Tech Fan
Sitting maybe 35 yards from the ref and the speaker it sounded like SNAP. All of section 101 heard SNAP.

I sit in 101 and did not hear "snap". But it doesn't matter what anyone in the crowd heard or even what the ref said. Coach should know the rules of the game. After a runoff, the clock starts when the ball is spotted. It's in the rulebook and coach should know that.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We are a shotgun spread team now period, we are not going back to the option. Other teams get short yardage out of the shotgun, i’ve witnessed it happen against us a 100 freaking times. Additionally i’ve seen us get stuffed more times than i can count on short yardage runs from under center. The formation is not the problem, it’s the execution, the players, the coaching. It’s making the change from 11 years of option fb and option recruiting to the new offense, it was never gong to be easy.

But it should never have been this hard.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It’s a myth that running from under center yields better results on short yardage than shotgun. Nothing will work if you don’t block.

That has been a complaint of mine, but our QBs can’t accurately throw the ball laterally. Brown is fast but makes a lot of Freshman mistakes like running backwards. I would like to simple throws like 2 pt play to get TO some confidence

It was major loss, but fortunately the outside world expect this from us (not a Citadel loss) so they have already chalked this season up as loss and many firmly believe we are in good hands with CGC

Yeah. Had some Temple fans visit the swarm and assure us we were in good hands. Not.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer

Great reply Cuse!!!!!

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
When I watched it on tv I could have sworn the ref said the clock will start at the snap.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I just watched your link multiple times & have attempted a transcript of what the ref said:
"Prior to the stap, snap infraction #55 offense. This foul occurred under 1 minute to play the second half with game clock running. By rule, this equals a 10 second runoff. Clock operator, reset the clock to 13 seconds and restart at READY FOR PLAY."

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Ok, try a qb sneak from shotgun.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Seems logical.