• 5-7

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 4-8

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3-9 or worse

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I see what you did there... I assume you assume that Clemson is a day game?

I think our team and coaching staff have this game circled whether they will admit it or not. Our experience on O and the front 7 on D will come together with a solid game plan to get the job done at home whether day or night. 2 years ago we beat ourselves more that we got beat by the tiggers.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
The Virginia papers here in southern Va are saying the same thing.

If VT gets an O anywhere close to their D AND has a respectable ST, then they will be fighting UM for Coastal.

I'd rather see UVa get the Va players, but it doesn't matter what I want. All the UVa fans here are already conceding that they are going to be awful and lose to VT again this year in football. (Not baseball or basketball! :D)

VT hasn't been the same since their DB coach left a few years ago. That, and they ran out of Fuller brothers.

CPJ has had Fuente's number. We'll see whether the new D helps or hurts.

I will also say that VT loves Thursday night games and tends to do well in them. We seem to win on Saturdays and they win on Thursdays. I'm wondering whether CPJ doesn't like having his schedule messed with?

I think Louisville is going to be down this year. They struggled on D last year after Alexander went down, and he's now in the NFL. And they've moved to Van Gorder on D.

I'm thinking 9-3 with a good chance to do better.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Well, Jackson was a FR last year and he will be better this year. Plus their OL lost two guys, but they are saying the OL may be their strength this year. WR is where they have questions due to experience, but there is a lot of talent there. In the backfield they have numbers but no proven stars.

My VT friends (I have several here in NC) say the offense has dominated their D in camp. Now, it could be their D will be awful this year. I know their DBs are almost all new and they are looking to replace people at LB. They do have an enormous monster in the middle of their DL, so there is that.

For what its worth, this is a game I think we might win, but I am a bit of a skeptic about our defense until we see what happens in a few games.

A Bud Foster defense that is "awful"? Nope, don't believe it. Offensive line has been a sore spot for the Hokies for a number of years maybe this year will be different. Just as long as they have not figured out a way to clone Luther Maddy, Logan Thomas the Fullers that big safety they had a few years ago and that running back that was so fast David something or another. They will be good, they always are.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think our team and coaching staff have this game circled whether they will admit it or not. Our experience on O and the front 7 on D will come together with a solid game plan to get the job done at home whether day or night. 2 years ago we beat ourselves more that we got beat by the tiggers.

We'd better get some better OT blocking than last year @ Clemson or we're toast. But I think we will.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
VT hasn't been the same since their DB coach left a few years ago. That, and they ran out of Fuller brothers.

CPJ has had Fuente's number. We'll see whether the new D helps or hurts.

I will also say that VT loves Thursday night games and tends to do well in them. We seem to win on Saturdays and they win on Thursdays. I'm wondering whether CPJ doesn't like having his schedule messed with?

I think Louisville is going to be down this year. They struggled on D last year after Alexander went down, and he's now in the NFL. And they've moved to Van Gorder on D.

I'm thinking 9-3 with a good chance to do better.

The weekday curse predates CPJ. We're 6-2 on Saturdays but 0-7 on weekdays. Weekday games include the Nesbitt arm break, the Attauchu punch, the 1990 celebration game (holie stone helmets vs throwbacks), Tevin's Monday night interception, and 2015 among others.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
I listen to CPJs pressers every morning on my podcasts when I jog. He always speaks in CPJisms, but his tone and reactions can tell you a lot. 2014 he was reputed to be on the hot seat, but he was having fun, said it was a 'good group of guys'. In 2015, he was really frustrated at the media and their post-2014 expectations. I remember him saying something to the effect of 'You all are ready to crown them ACC champs, but you haven't watched them practice.' 2016 he was pretty calm, talked a lot about staying healthy. Last year, the refrain was 'There's a lot of parts of the team I'm more worried about than QB' (Since the media kept harping the QB competition).

This year, he seems pretty happy. I only remember him ragging on the team once; for effort from the offense (really hot day early in camp). After that, all the players who had media availability talked up effort, pushing through, and acclimating to the heat. Couple days later CPJ said the effort and toughness had been really good, said the team was "hardnosed". Likes what he's seeing from TaQuon, the WRs and LBs in particular. A little worried about depth on the lines. He's noted the D out-playing the O a couple days as well, but seemed pretty happy. Didn't gripe about the O playing sloppy, just the D had a good day. Said one day that the O and D take turns making big plays. Won't know until "three games in" how we stack up against other teams. Only thing he's been consistently unhappy with is the kicking. We've "got some guys with ability" and "they've done some things". Coach thinks we'll be "pretty good if we stay healthy".

CPJs 'pretty good teams' have won 8-10 games. So, I predict 8-4. The kicking game costs us a near win. The defense wins us a game with a huge play and blows a game with a huge bust.

The offense had UT, Miami and UVA won last year. Just needed some sign of life from the Defense, we'd have gone 8-3. New-scheme excitement might be enough for this year, like the offense in 2008. Offense should be as good or better with a healthier/deeper O-line and experience at QB/BB. Need to find a go-to receiver, but TaQuon has had an offseason as QB1 to build rapport with his receivers.

In other (fake) news:

I'm skeptical that uGA will live up to the hype this year. I think the SEC East is going to catch up to the Dwags faster than they think.UT and UF have resources and talent. They're not going to stay down forever. Muschamp's USCe might never be great, but they'll be a tough out, especially at home. Cross conference, AU and LSU could each be great or terrible this year. Last year, uGA lost to the two best teams they played and the 3rd (Sooners) had every chance to win. They lose a ton of players on D and their RBs.

The hype that Fromm is a top tier QB is a shallow analysis based on where the team got to last year. Fromm only attempted 291 passes last year, 68th in attempts among QBs. Was 119th in efficiency rating. Vs 670 rush attempts for the RBs. Great experienced RBs and a cupcake schedule is a nice combination for a any QB. There were only 3 games they couldn't probably have won without throwing a single pass (slightly TIC). They went 1-2 in those games. Against ND, take out Fromm's negative rushing yards/attempts and the RBs had a higher average per attempt on rushes than Fromm did passing. For them to win 10+ and the SEC, Fromm is going to have to win games for them this year. We haven't really seen if he can yet.

They still have a cupcake schedule and should win 9 games minimum. I predict the fans invent a QB controversy after a close win over UT. Fromm looks lost against a good-at-home LSU. And follows up with a loss to UF after a two-week Fromm bashing on local media. UF goes to the SECCG on the tie-break (Their schedule is even cupcakier than uGA. They have talent. Could have been decent last year if not for drama and hurricanes). Tech extends its road streak against a disappointed uGA squad.

Great post, thanks for sharing and I see a similar quiet optimism from CPJ this year. Hopefully it will translate to a strong team.

Agree that UGA will take a step back on D, the SEC East will be better, and that their schedule setup perfect for them a year ago and it won’t be as easy this year. Their 2017 schedule was a gift from the football gods. Smh. But Fromm played really well as a true freshman. He was top ten in passing efficiency and their offense really hit their stride mid season. Their backs will be solid, their oline is strong, their receivers are good, and play action will be there again. Fromm can hit back shoulders and isn’t afraid to stand in the pocket. Unfortunately I think UGA will be good on offense this year. How good I don’t know, but I’m not getting my hopes up that they’ll be down.

I’m sure the fans will create a quarterback controversy though and Kirby Smart will be just as much of a jerk to the media about it as CPJ is but the AJC will worship the ground he walks on and not criticize him at all.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
NBC sports says GT is 4th in Coastal as is Louisville in the Atlantic.

We are both predicted to be better than the blah teams and not as good as the good teams.

Not an up year could be 7-5. Maybe good enough but I sure hope it's a """strong 7-5 """where we throttle the lessor teams and play tough against the good teams.

I am optimistic for better.
Why
We really do have some athletes in back 4 on defense.

Coach is talking about Graham the way he talked about Mills

To be the offensive Dynamo All the qb needs to do is know when to stop and pitch or pass.

The Coach has said that we are going to play the backups on the o line which should make them nasty for 4 quarters.

BB 1 and BB 2 are studs.

IMO We don't play a bunch of future NFL qb

The new defense that is different than other teams defenses. Our opponents will have to prepare for a special defense as well as a special offense.

NBC sports is wrong!
Go Jackets.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
NBC sports says GT is 4th in Coastal as is Louisville in the Atlantic.

We are both predicted to be better than the blah teams and not as good as the good teams.

Not an up year could be 7-5. Maybe good enough but I sure hope it's a """strong 7-5 """where we throttle the lessor teams and play tough against the good teams.

I am optimistic for better.
Why
We really do have some athletes in back 4 on defense.

Coach is talking about Graham the way he talked about Mills

To be the offensive Dynamo All the qb needs to do is know when to stop and pitch or pass.

The Coach has said that we are going to play the backups on the o line which should make them nasty for 4 quarters.

BB 1 and BB 2 are studs.

IMO We don't play a bunch of future NFL qb

The new defense that is different than other teams defenses. Our opponents will have to prepare for a special defense as well as a special offense.

NBC sports is wrong!
Go Jackets.
NBC is full of shytt and GT will finish 9-3 and 2nd in the ACC Coastal Division.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Alcorn and BGSU: W
USF, Pitt, UNC, UVA: likely W
Lville, Duke, VT, Miami: toss ups for now
Clemson, UGA: likely Ls
So I guess, by that: 8-4 if I put money down.

I agree that we'll need to establish a receiving threat or efficiency in the passing game or we'll see "engage 8" all year.

slugboy

Staff member
6-7 regular season wins. We're slow starters usually, and we have a new defense, and a good chance to lose a game in Pitt or USF. I hope I'm underestimating us.