Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3-9 or worse

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
How can you all put L next to a game... your key board, your choice though.

I like the old way of grouping or putting percents to win.

Win Alcon and BG
Win 4 of UVA, UNC, Pitt, USF, Duke, LV
Win 2 of Miami, Clemson, VT(only because there on Thursday), UGA

8 and 4... but I think we really end up 9 and 3.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Alcorn - W
@USF - W
@Pitt - W
Clemson - L
Bowling Green - W
@UL - L
Duke - W
@VT - L
@UNC - W
Miami - L
UVA - W
UGA - L
Bowl - depends on who it is.
I’m going to go ahead and say the chances of a W then a L back and forth for 10 games is extremely unlikely.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I’m going to go ahead and say the chances of a W then a L back and forth for 10 games is extremely unlikely.

And how likely is it that our 5 hardest games just fall into that pattern?

I type the game out, then hold shift and press the 'l' button. Then hit enter.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow

I like the old way of grouping or putting percents to win.

Win Alcon and BG
Win 4 of UVA, UNC, Pitt, USF, Duke, LV
Win 2 of Miami, Clemson, VT(only because there on Thursday), UGA

8 and 4... but I think we really end up 9 and 3.

I’m on board with this, I would put Clemson and UGA on another level than va tech and Miami. I honestly think Miami and Va Tech are toss ups this year if our D really is improved and could be put in the middle bracket. 8-4 or 9-3 is my prediction.

Does anybody out there know anything about Duke’s new co-defensive coordinators? I viewed it as a big plus for us when Jim Knowles left for Oklahoma State after last season. Duke’s D has really given us problems over the last 5 or 6 years (except 2016 when JT5 showed us how great he was). Knowles made Jeremy Cash look like a future all-pro (which he’s not).

I know some people are high on Camp but he’ll have to prove something before I say our wideouts aren’t a little weak this year. I think we have 2 number 2 receivers and not 1 legit go-to guy. Hope they’ll prove me wrong. And as much as I hope TaQuon’s passing game will be improved we have to view that as a question mark. If I’m being really honest our D is still a question mark but I do like our linebackers, length in the secondary, and Anree. Making an an optimistic but educated guess that they’ll help us win a few games that we lost last year. Our experienced O line and a backs, + KirVonte and TQ’s running abilities have me optimistic that the O will be more consistent.

If nothing else, with our new digs, we will look a lot better this year! Can’t wait for that.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Back and forth seems odd but the road games against quality teams accounts for the back and forth.

We could be very good - I think we will play very aggressively on the online. We have experienced starters and large backups for second half ( circa 2014 starting at ncst).
I am going w longest plus 1 = 9-3.
We win 2 against the really good teams (clem, Mia, vt, uga) and 5 of the middle if the pack.
2018 ITS TIME.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Acorn St W
USF W - The Bulls are weak in the middle of their DL. That is the key spot for defending the TO. Their offense could be trouble for us.
Pitt W
Clemson L - not close. I hope we do not suffer too many physical or emotional injuries.
BG W
UL W - Closer than we might want
Duke W - Why are the Dookies so much trouble for us?
VT L - The VT offense is loaded.
UNC W
Miami L - Mark Richt knows how to beat us when he's got the horses. He does this year.
UVA W
UGA L - I think the uga intangibles at home are way over the top positive after losing to us 2x in a row at home.

I am predicting 8-4 with my "subjective" standard deviation calculated at 2.0.
The VT offense is loaded??

Per S&P+, VT ranked 96th in offense last year. VT lost their leading receiver, two OL, and one of the RBs who split time as a starter. There has been news coming out of their camp that Steven Peoples may get considerable playing time at RB for them; he's a senior who had less than 300 yards rushing last year for less than 4 yards per carry.

Besides Jackson, who was erratic last year, who on their offense makes you think they are loaded?

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
ASU - W
USF - W
Pitt - W
Clemson - L
BGSU - W
Louisville - L
Duke - W
VT - L
UNC - W
Miami - L
UVA - W
Ugag - L

7-5. I think our schedule is somewhat of a paper tiger, but I just don’t see us being significantly better than last year.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
And how likely is it that our 5 hardest games just fall into that pattern?

I type the game out, then hold shift and press the 'l' button. Then hit enter.
I’m not saying it’s impossible, I’m just saying I highly doubt it happens. I’d say we beat UL pretty easily as well.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I’m not saying it’s impossible, I’m just saying I highly doubt it happens. I’d say we beat UL pretty easily as well.

I could see us beating UL or pulling an upset against someone. I could see us losing to USF, Pitt, or UNC as well. But just because it's back and forth doesn't make it less likely to happen.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I could see us beating UL or pulling an upset against someone. I could see us losing to USF, Pitt, or UNC as well. But just because it's back and forth doesn't make it less likely to happen.
I think it would be really hard for you to find a team who has ever gone W,L for 10 straight games though. I get what you are saying, I’m just saying the probability of that happening is probably rare. I could be wrong though. JMO

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I listen to CPJs pressers every morning on my podcasts when I jog. He always speaks in CPJisms, but his tone and reactions can tell you a lot. 2014 he was reputed to be on the hot seat, but he was having fun, said it was a 'good group of guys'. In 2015, he was really frustrated at the media and their post-2014 expectations. I remember him saying something to the effect of 'You all are ready to crown them ACC champs, but you haven't watched them practice.' 2016 he was pretty calm, talked a lot about staying healthy. Last year, the refrain was 'There's a lot of parts of the team I'm more worried about than QB' (Since the media kept harping the QB competition).

This year, he seems pretty happy. I only remember him ragging on the team once; for effort from the offense (really hot day early in camp). After that, all the players who had media availability talked up effort, pushing through, and acclimating to the heat. Couple days later CPJ said the effort and toughness had been really good, said the team was "hardnosed". Likes what he's seeing from TaQuon, the WRs and LBs in particular. A little worried about depth on the lines. He's noted the D out-playing the O a couple days as well, but seemed pretty happy. Didn't gripe about the O playing sloppy, just the D had a good day. Said one day that the O and D take turns making big plays. Won't know until "three games in" how we stack up against other teams. Only thing he's been consistently unhappy with is the kicking. We've "got some guys with ability" and "they've done some things". Coach thinks we'll be "pretty good if we stay healthy".

CPJs 'pretty good teams' have won 8-10 games. So, I predict 8-4. The kicking game costs us a near win. The defense wins us a game with a huge play and blows a game with a huge bust.

The offense had UT, Miami and UVA won last year. Just needed some sign of life from the Defense, we'd have gone 8-3. New-scheme excitement might be enough for this year, like the offense in 2008. Offense should be as good or better with a healthier/deeper O-line and experience at QB/BB. Need to find a go-to receiver, but TaQuon has had an offseason as QB1 to build rapport with his receivers.

In other (fake) news:

I'm skeptical that uGA will live up to the hype this year. I think the SEC East is going to catch up to the Dwags faster than they think.UT and UF have resources and talent. They're not going to stay down forever. Muschamp's USCe might never be great, but they'll be a tough out, especially at home. Cross conference, AU and LSU could each be great or terrible this year. Last year, uGA lost to the two best teams they played and the 3rd (Sooners) had every chance to win. They lose a ton of players on D and their RBs.

The hype that Fromm is a top tier QB is a shallow analysis based on where the team got to last year. Fromm only attempted 291 passes last year, 68th in attempts among QBs. Was 119th in efficiency rating. Vs 670 rush attempts for the RBs. Great experienced RBs and a cupcake schedule is a nice combination for a any QB. There were only 3 games they couldn't probably have won without throwing a single pass (slightly TIC). They went 1-2 in those games. Against ND, take out Fromm's negative rushing yards/attempts and the RBs had a higher average per attempt on rushes than Fromm did passing. For them to win 10+ and the SEC, Fromm is going to have to win games for them this year. We haven't really seen if he can yet.

They still have a cupcake schedule and should win 9 games minimum. I predict the fans invent a QB controversy after a close win over UT. Fromm looks lost against a good-at-home LSU. And follows up with a loss to UF after a two-week Fromm bashing on local media. UF goes to the SECCG on the tie-break (Their schedule is even cupcakier than uGA. They have talent. Could have been decent last year if not for drama and hurricanes). Tech extends its road streak against a disappointed uGA squad.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Alcorn - W
@USF - L
@Pitt - L
Clemson - L
Bowling Green - W
@UL - L
Duke - W
@VT - L
@UNC - L
Miami - L
UVA - W
UGA - L

4-8. I think USF, Pitt, UNC, and Miami are all flippable games though, so we could go 8-4 for all I know.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I think it would be really hard for you to find a team who has ever gone W,L for 10 straight games though. I get what you are saying, I’m just saying the probability of that happening is probably rare. I could be wrong though. JMO

Over those 10 games there are 1024 permutations of outcomes. So of course any one in particular is unlikely. Not because it makes a pattern you recognize, but because of how many permutations there are. However knowing that our probable 5 hardest games happen to fit into that pattern already makes it more likely because it's a conditional probability (knowing the schedule) rather than just a straight forward one of knowing the games.

For example, last year Texas would have done just that except KSU and OU were flipped. If they had then they would have been playing 4,12,10,8 in every other week with playing unranked in-between.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
A lot of people are calling wins @VT and @UL. I think having those two away weeknight games is tough. I'm especially worried about UL because we've never played them and they have many unknowns going into the season - hope they suck haha

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Wow lots of differing opinions about how the Jackets will do

That's what we do around here...differ in opinions about the Jackets. Some will be right and others wrong. I hope that I am wrong and we do better than what I predicted. A challenging schedule to be sure but that is nothing new. Can anyone answer this question: when was the last time we had a easy (relatively speaking) schedule? I don't know that we have had one with Coach Johnson may be wrong about that. I seem to remember early on that Miami and Clemson were not yet the powerhouses but then Virginia Tech was better then than they are now. UNC may have also been a little bit better early on in Coach Johnson's tenure as well.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The VT offense is loaded??

Per S&P+, VT ranked 96th in offense last year. VT lost their leading receiver, two OL, and one of the RBs who split time as a starter. There has been news coming out of their camp that Steven Peoples may get considerable playing time at RB for them; he's a senior who had less than 300 yards rushing last year for less than 4 yards per carry.

Besides Jackson, who was erratic last year, who on their offense makes you think they are loaded?
Well, Jackson was a FR last year and he will be better this year. Plus their OL lost two guys, but they are saying the OL may be their strength this year. WR is where they have questions due to experience, but there is a lot of talent there. In the backfield they have numbers but no proven stars.

My VT friends (I have several here in NC) say the offense has dominated their D in camp. Now, it could be their D will be awful this year. I know their DBs are almost all new and they are looking to replace people at LB. They do have an enormous monster in the middle of their DL, so there is that.

For what its worth, this is a game I think we might win, but I am a bit of a skeptic about our defense until we see what happens in a few games.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, Jackson was a FR last year and he will be better this year. Plus their OL lost two guys, but they are saying the OL may be their strength this year. WR is where they have questions due to experience, but there is a lot of talent there. In the backfield they have numbers but no proven stars.

My VT friends (I have several here in NC) say the offense has dominated their D in camp. Now, it could be their D will be awful this year. I know their DBs are almost all new and they are looking to replace people at LB. They do have an enormous monster in the middle of their DL, so there is that.

For what its worth, this is a game I think we might win, but I am a bit of a skeptic about our defense until we see what happens in a few games.

The Virginia papers here in southern Va are saying the same thing.

If VT gets an O anywhere close to their D AND has a respectable ST, then they will be fighting UM for Coastal.

I'd rather see UVa get the Va players, but it doesn't matter what I want. All the UVa fans here are already conceding that they are going to be awful and lose to VT again this year in football. (Not baseball or basketball! :D)

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
VT O killing their D after all their losses on D speaks more to a lower D than it does of a better O.

VT and LV at night and away is a challenge for our team.