Scrimmage update

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Coaches yell at practice, it's what they do, it's called coaching.

Everyone screws up at practice, I highly doubt everybody else got "attaboys" all scrimmage long while MJ was the only one to get scolded.

Btw, you never said how the other guys looked pitching the ball. I guess its hard to when they didn't do it either.

No way coaches yell at practice? Lol

I think its a track record. Not any one play or instance. Besides i do get info many on this board not privy to as well.

Coach wasnt yelling at the other qbs about pitching fyi. Tm and lj are our two best option "pitchers" (assuming they read it right)

Last edited:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
How did 3rd down D look? How was the pressure on pass plays? How many TFLs? How many stops on D?%of drives stalled? How much cushion were corners giving?(most teams give our WR a pretty good cushion)

You cant scout our d vs our o.

You may remember or not. But all the same comments we are reading about the d now was said beginning 2014 and 2015. Even much of what is said now was said in 2016 in fall camp.

Its impossible to scout well imo

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The O needs a lot of work. I keep telling myself this is the first scrimmage. There were many penalties. Pass blocking needs a lot of work. The OT position struggled. There is a lot to get done in the next three weeks.

Everyone is focused on the QB, but this O will live or die based on the OL.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The O needs a lot of work. I keep telling myself this is the first scrimmage. There were many penalties. Pass blocking needs a lot of work. The OT position struggled. There is a lot to get done in the next three weeks.

Everyone is focused on the QB, but this O will live or die based on the OL.

Paul said himself this may be his best OL. If they underlerform then what?

I have a clue why OT always struggles. But. Eh. Glad they at least switched the G to a 3 point FINALLY.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
This was a scrimmage and not a game. There will be tape for the coaches to evaluate individual performance. About 90 players were in and out of the scrimmage with all kinds of mixed player combinations, starters and backups, some with game experience, some without, lots of freshman, and a ton of walk-ons. It would be hard to draw meaningful conclusions about team performance in a game situation but the coaches will get a lot of good info about individual performances. In spite of 5 TDs there were a lot of D stops, including some third downs less than 5 yards. The O also made several third down conversions with 10 or more yards to go. There were sacks, TFL plays, some long runs, and some good pass completions and pass breakups. Also without punting there was no field position advantages. In addition some key players, including likely starters, did not participate (about 15 players in all).

What I came away with was several individuals met the eye test of making some really good plays. No doubt tape review will expose other performances that escaped the eye test. Overall the scrimmage was very encouraging and showed that we have a lot of pieces to be happy about and some pieces to continue to work on.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
It's great we have so much talent at QB. I think TaQuon had a solid performance. He made the reads like a veteran (not tentative or unsure of where he was going). Very impressed with almost everything he did. I also liked Lucas and Jay. Lucas looked very comfortable and I really like his size, speed, and he seems to have good field vision. Jay also did well but I feel he was a bit edged out by Lucas. Jay will mature into a good QB and I think he has excellent scrambling ability.

BB - Jerry Howard. If you don't know that name now, you soon will. Good runner, great effort. Lots of good ball handlers. I think this is going to be a big year for Dedrick and Clinton.

Did anyone feel like we threw the ball more than usual? If so, do you think this is any indicator of things to come?

I also felt like we broke off an inordinate amount of long yardage plays. Should we be excited about the performance of the offense or concerned with the defense?

Overall, I saw quite a bit to be optimistic about this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If we were throwing the ball a lot it's probably because that's something we need work on. We threw a lot in the spring as well.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck

You may remember or not. But all the same comments we are reading about the d now was said beginning 2014 and 2015. Even much of what is said now was said in 2016 in fall camp.

Do you believe repping against CPJ's offense 80/20 contributes to our struggles covering a full route tree, fitting against zone schemes, etc. IMO, it's a question of extent / degree.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Do you believe repping against CPJ's offense 80/20 contributes to our struggles covering a full route tree, fitting against zone schemes, etc. IMO, it's a question of extent / degree.

I'm pretty sure that our DBs see a pretty good route tree during passing skel drills and 7v7 against our 1's. Once we get to game prep, then they're spending 11v11 time against scout teams. Again, this is all if understand correctly. I could've misunderstood.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I'm pretty sure that our DBs see a pretty good route tree during passing skel drills and 7v7 against our 1's. Once we get to game prep, then they're spending 11v11 time against scout teams. Again, this is all if understand correctly. I could've misunderstood.
I'm pretty sure this is right. The D, during preparation for a game is facing the opposing teams offense with our scout team so they are seeing he same route trees, ect.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm pretty sure this is right. The D, during preparation for a game is facing the opposing teams offense with our scout team so they are seeing he same route trees, ect.

Good points re scout.

Restated -- our O is all our D sees live in spring and fall camp. It's so different that opposing coaches often quarantine their prep for it and add Tech periods to spring and fall camp. Does our D's exposure to our O at the expense of more common Os have a material impact on our Ds performance?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Unless our O is playing badminton instead of football I'll agree to disagree. Fundamentals are fundamentals, making plays is making plays, flying to the ball, tackling well, setting the edge, playing assignments, all still factor regardless of the scheme our D faces imo.

Is it harder to project how well they will adjust to a wildcat, power I, spread etc. Probably to a degree as the overall focus facing some of those schemes and opposing players, will change how we attack.

Paul said himself this may be his best OL. If they underlerform then what?

I have a clue why OT always struggles. But. Eh. Glad they at least switched the G to a 3 point FINALLY.

Fwiw Will has always been in a 3 point stance. So I don't think they are teaching 4 pt as the standard to use. Not trying to make a dig but you often come off as if you know a better way to coach our players and position groups than our own coaches do. Perhaps you could do better than them. But if you aren't working one on one with the players you probably know less about them than they do.

Last edited:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Good points re scout.

Restated -- our O is all our D sees live in spring and fall camp. It's so different that opposing coaches often quarantine their prep for it and add Tech periods to spring and fall camp. Does our D's exposure to our O at the expense of more common Os have a material impact on our Ds performance?

I'd say it probably factors in their recognition of certain plays and checks that might need to be made. I don't think affects many of the fundamentals.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Good points re scout.

Ok, I see.... I'm not really sure, it depends on how often our D works against a different style offenses in the spring and fall. I would say it doesn't affect them to much if at all. You still have the 7 on 7 drills which the guys I'm sure are running a full route tree. Also our O shouldn't hurt at all when it comes to defending the run game. If you think about it, our secondary is pretty good. Our main issue is pass rush, and I don't believe that our O affects that. If we just had a decent pass rush our D would be way better imo.