Scrimmage update

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Question. 15 players held out, seems like a lot of injuries. Clinton Lynch? Kirvonte Benson. Does anyone have updates?
CPJ said there is just one guy injured that might miss game 1 (this was before the game Saturday) so all the others we just precautionary I would assume. A lot of times a guy would be able to play if it was during the season but is held out in a scrimmage if he has a little ding.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Question. 15 players held out, seems like a lot of injuries. Clinton Lynch? Kirvonte Benson. Does anyone have updates?
Several of those 15 players were potential starters or proven players like Lynch, C Griffin, and A Marshall and like Mills may not have seen much action anyway. With some minor dings it makes sense to hold them out when you have 90 other players you want to evaluate.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm going out on a limb that it was Simmons, Branch, Henderson, Freeman.

Thanks. My not too subtle point is that we don't pay enough attention to what is going to make or break this season. Adams not playing is not a good sign (intentional double negative).

I enjoy reading about the QBs, but by October, the Offensive and Defensive lines will determine the type of season w have.

Yesterday at on the 13th page of the Marathon Roof blog I posted that the DL was 114th of 128 last year and averaged 93rd over the last three years. https://gtswarm.com/threads/official-ted-roof-discussion-thread.12642/page-13#post-328051

T0day I looked at the OL ranking, knowing they are much much better. Last year we were 29th. 2014 we were 3rd and 2015 43rd. So yes, that supports our sentiment that the way the OL and DL goes is the way the season goes. Not hard, football was designed to train men for war and that's what it is on the lines. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/statistics/ncaa-offensive-line/2014

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Thanks. My not too subtle point is that we don't pay enough attention to what is going to make or break this season. Adams not playing is not a good sign (intentional double negative).

Yesterday at on the 13th page of the Marathon Roof blog I posted that the DL was 114th of 128 last year and averaged 93rd over the last three years. https://gtswarm.com/threads/official-ted-roof-discussion-thread.12642/page-13#post-328051

T0day I looked at the OL ranking, knowing they are much much better. Last year we were 29th. 2014 we were 3rd and 2015 43rd. So yes, that supports our sentiment that the way the OL and DL goes is the way the season goes. Not hard, football was designed to train men for war and that's what it is on the lines. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/statistics/ncaa-offensive-line/2014
I'm not to worried about Adams, guys get held out of scrimmages all the time for small stuff, when if it was a game during the season they would play. Now, if CPJ says he's really hurt then I will worry. I really think he can take this Dline up a notch.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm not to worried about Adams, guys get held out of scrimmages all the time for small stuff, when if it was a game during the season they would play. Now, if CPJ says he's really hurt then I will worry. I really think he can take this Dline up a notch.

Maybe CPJ just didn't want him to injure our OL. (tic) As I said, not playing is not good. May not be bad, but it's not good.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Unless our O is playing badminton instead of football I'll agree to disagree. Fundamentals are fundamentals, making plays is making plays, flying to the ball, tackling well, setting the edge, playing assignments, all still factor regardless of the scheme our D faces imo.

Is it harder to project how well they will adjust to a wildcat, power I, spread etc. Probably to a degree as the overall focus facing some of those schemes and opposing players, will change how we attack.

Fwiw Will has always been in a 3 point stance. So I don't think they are teaching 4 pt as the standard to use. Not trying to make a dig but you often come off as if you know a better way to coach our players and position groups than our own coaches do. Perhaps you could do better than them. But if you aren't working one on one with the players you probably know less about them than they do.

What? I didn't say Will. I said our G. Referring to braun.

Yes. Will agree to disagree. The S play way more downhill vs our team most snaps and the lb never get flat assignments in the passing game nor many screens. Also roof puts the lb in 50 and 70 tech than he does all reg season. He gives our O looks we will see vs other teams and d we dont play.

Sure assignments are assignments. But there is a reason every team we face says the same thing. Throw out the window what you learned about d and its totally different trying to d and face tech. So. Again. We will agree to disagree.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I can't think of an OG besides Parker that used a 4pt stance.

Well. We can go back and look. On that side its common. Heck. Our C was in 4 too which is really unique as well its just our scheme. Imo its best for all to be in 3 since it helps pulling, pass sets etc. you can argue not as great in run blocking. Its why burden was in 4. Helps the center fire off. Its just our scheme

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Do you believe repping against CPJ's offense 80/20 contributes to our struggles covering a full route tree, fitting against zone schemes, etc. IMO, it's a question of extent / degree.

whoa,look out-you are close to suggesting playing vs our "unique" Off (and capabilities) may not be advantageous for our DEF , hmmm

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
You cant scout our d vs our o.

You may remember or not. But all the same comments we are reading about the d now was said beginning 2014 and 2015. Even much of what is said now was said in 2016 in fall camp.

Its impossible to scout well imo
Yep! Have been hearing that our DL has improved, our LB are quicker, and the DB are the strength of the team, it seems like, forever.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Our offense is unique, no quotes about it. And yes, I am suggesting it is a valid question we ask in our D/roof threads. Not saying that I know it -- whatever the conclusion might be -- to be true.

I agree.This has been floating around here since PJ showed up. And yes, I am of the opinion that seeing our OFF a lot (and mainly running QBs),hurts the DEF somewhat.How much?Who knows.All, I know is we have had below average DEFs ,FOR YRS.
Even the great '14 yr was Def stat-wise pretty poor except for TOs.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Well. We can go back and look. On that side its common. Heck. Our C was in 4 too which is really unique as well its just our scheme. Imo its best for all to be in 3 since it helps pulling, pass sets etc. you can argue not as great in run blocking. Its why burden was in 4. Helps the center fire off. Its just our scheme

Yeah, our C's are in "4pt" so to speak since one hand brings the ball up to start the play. If the C is rocked back to snap with the other hand not on the ground, then it's harder for them to fire off like we want.