Scrimmage update

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
CPJ said the Abacks were not really involved in the game today. You guys say MJ was afraid to pitch yet no similar criticism of the others. So tell me how were the Abacks not involved if 3 of the 4 qb's were successfully pitching all over the field?

Well. The head coach yellin pitch the damn ball, and throw the damn ball at mj, combined with candeto saying he has happy feet in the pocket and needs to look downfield, plus one full game of tape vs vt where you can notice pulls instead of pitches when it needed to go to the AB all provide ample evidence to suggest dude is struggling alot.

Oh. And folks passing me practice observations have said mj is looking the worst of the 4 of them....still getting 1 reps since staff assumed rust.

This Saturday may have change pauls mind. Hence the quote not like he expected. That quote perhaps....was bigger than just today

We will see. Will be fun to watch. The ferraris are in the garage. Can paul tune them in time for the race or will he go with a truck?

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I wish JJ would hold the nose of the ball.
12768664.jpeg

Looks like he's taking the message to heart.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
12768664.jpeg

Looks like he's taking the message to heart.
I'm taking about the end of the nose, which is the most secure way to hold a football. The way JJ is holding the ball makes it a lot easier to fumble. Here's a good example of what I'm talking about. Also notice how the ball is "high and tight" it's tucked into his armpit almost. Not just against his chest, that leaves to much room for the ball to be punched out.

IMG_0752.JPG

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm taking about the end of the nose, which is the most secure way to hold a football. The way JJ is holding the ball makes it a lot easier to fumble. Here's a good example of what I'm talking about. Also notice how the ball is "high and tight" it's tucked into his armpit almost. Not just against his chest, that leaves to much room for the ball to be punched out.

View attachment 2683
Good point. You had me at Beast Mode.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
CPJ said the Abacks were not really involved in the game today. You guys say MJ was afraid to pitch yet no similar criticism of the others. So tell me how were the Abacks not involved if 3 of the 4 qb's were successfully pitching all over the field?

I think the simple answer is MJ was not pitching and also not getting any meaningful yards. The other QBs were not pitching but were getting 5, 7, 10 yards with running plays (but maybe losing yards or getting limited yards getting pressured on pass plays). MJ actually played very little and it was mostly bad.

The limited AB involvement came from the rocket tosses and passes and one counter to Green, but not on TO pitches.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Mj had issues pitching that i thought was obvious vs vt. He reminds me of a second basemen that cant throw to first base. Its so mental. Confidence. And he just isn't comfortable it seems. Especially to his left. I really assumed that it was just more pt needed. But not sure now. The last thing this offense needs is no confidence at qb. Talk about turnovers.

That is also why paul is pushing Lj to show some swagger. Potential is there. Dont hold back
Could MJ be gripping the ball too tight? That was my guess watching VT last year. It would restrict his passing and pitching.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it's possible we'll have an upgrade over JT this year. Not in the passing game, but this may be offset by the versatility of whoever the guy is.

I would be most excited for TQ to have earned the job. Has the most potential to offer next year in combining talent, skill, experience, and leadership.

JJ does give you that energy, but I find it hard to believe CPJ will go with him out the gate. CPJ said he would be responsible for a ton of huge plays. Just wasn't sure for which team. The ball security today surprised him, but I can't imagine anything he does will make a difference.

Now, I do see him earning some playing time with the ones, alternating some series, and potentially taking over as things unfold.

Who's to say, though, it won't be LJ in that role instead?
Idk. JT won us alot of games. These kids haven't proved **** yet amongst live fire.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I enjoy reading about the QBs, but by October, the Offensive and Defensive lines will determine the type of season w have.

Preach it brother. Especially the DL. Our O will generate points given the versatility of going to play makers in many positions. A great OL will have us regularly over 35 points per game. An average one will have us in the 20's.

Notice the D got no ints or fumbles? And gave up 5 TDs? I think I heard the first string D stopped the MJ O on the first possession, but after that it was downhill. But it wasn't the first string D after a few possessions I heard. But we are playing ourselves so it is hard to tell what is good and what is bad.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

View attachment 2683
I like your mention and picture of beast mode. No not the seattle Seahawk. Beast is in the other picture = LOOK AT 26 IN THE BACKGROUND. AIN'T NO NOODLE LEGS ON THAT BB.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@33jacket It is unfair to say MJ missed all this pitches against VT... he missed one, maybe two. JT has similar misses per game. VT was taking the pitch man.

MJ had one pitch yesterday that was covered, but loosely covered, that he might have pitched.

Everyone out there was saying pitch the ball, but the pitch was taken. What they should have been saying is block the MLB. GT is taking the pitch man as a game plan.

All that said, you are right, MJ did not close the deal yesterday.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Well. The head coach yellin pitch the damn ball, and throw the damn ball at mj, combined with candeto saying he has happy feet in the pocket and needs to look downfield, plus one full game of tape vs vt where you can notice pulls instead of pitches when it needed to go to the AB all provide ample evidence to suggest dude is struggling alot.

Oh. And folks passing me practice observations have said mj is looking the worst of the 4 of them....still getting 1 reps since staff assumed rust.

This Saturday may have change pauls mind. Hence the quote not like he expected. That quote perhaps....was bigger than just today

We will see. Will be fun to watch. The ferraris are in the garage. Can paul tune them in time for the race or will he go with a truck?
Coaches yell at practice, it's what they do, it's called coaching.

Everyone screws up at practice, I highly doubt everybody else got "attaboys" all scrimmage long while MJ was the only one to get scolded.

Btw, you never said how the other guys looked pitching the ball. I guess its hard to when they didn't do it either.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
For those who were there
Iiuc, there were 91 plays and 5 scores. It seems to me that 91 plays for us would be about 16 drives, meaning about 11 stops.

Is that about right for what happened?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
How did 3rd down D look? How was the pressure on pass plays? How many TFLs? How many stops on D?%of drives stalled? How much cushion were corners giving?(most teams give our WR a pretty good cushion)

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
It's great we have so much talent at QB. I think TaQuon had a solid performance. He made the reads like a veteran (not tentative or unsure of where he was going). Very impressed with almost everything he did. I also liked Lucas and Jay. Lucas looked very comfortable and I really like his size, speed, and he seems to have good field vision. Jay also did well but I feel he was a bit edged out by Lucas. Jay will mature into a good QB and I think he has excellent scrambling ability.

BB - Jerry Howard. If you don't know that name now, you soon will. Good runner, great effort. Lots of good ball handlers. I think this is going to be a big year for Dedrick and Clinton.

Did anyone feel like we threw the ball more than usual? If so, do you think this is any indicator of things to come?

I also felt like we broke off an inordinate amount of long yardage plays. Should we be excited about the performance of the offense or concerned with the defense?

Overall, I saw quite a bit to be optimistic about this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk