Scrimmage update

slugboy

Staff member
I didn't make the fan day or the scrimmage, but I love the updates.
How did Freeman, Simmons, and Saint-Amour look?
I'm still hoping KeShun shows that flash he had his freshman year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Just a little experience talking here: When I hear coach say stuff like "player x is a big play waiting to happen for somebody" try to remember, it is way easier to learn not to make a big play for the other team than it is to learn to make a huge play for your own team. Generally speaking, the guys who are capable of making big plays often will end up rising to the top, because all they have to do is pull the reigns in a little and tap into their brains. JT was the same way. Remember how many plays he forced trying to play as a RS frosh?

All I have seen is the spring game, so tifwiw. My opinion means less than nothing at this point. However, as a coach, when I hear CPJ say stuff like "can't be tackled" or "making huge plays for somebody" it garners my interest a little more than some of the other comments like "did some good things" or "moved the team".

Truly, CPJ is unlikely to take huge risks early. What coach would? However, let's be clear about what we are dealing with here in the long term. There are a couple guys out there on the field who are above everybody else, even if they haven't reached their potential yet.
It's easier to pull a rope than push one!

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Our offense is unique, no quotes about it. And yes, I am suggesting it is a valid question we ask in our D/roof threads. Not saying that I know it -- whatever the conclusion might be -- to be true.
I really don't think it's a huge factor. We only play against our offense in camp and in the spring. The rest of the time we are in the same boat as everyone else using scouts to replicate other offenses. IMO it pretty much is an even swap.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I really don't think it's a huge factor. We only play against our offense in camp and in the spring. The rest of the time we are in the same boat as everyone else using scouts to replicate other offenses. IMO it pretty much is an even swap.
Is the swap: we get the unique offense and they get defensive practice against typical offenses?

I agree.This has been floating around here since PJ showed up. And yes, I am of the opinion that seeing our OFF a lot (and mainly running QBs),hurts the DEF somewhat.How much?Who knows.All, I know is we have had below average DEFs ,FOR YRS.
Even the great '14 yr was Def stat-wise pretty poor except for TOs.
I would think our scout team could replicate opponents' offensives more realistically doing it multiple times per season, than our opponents' scout offense could replicate our OBS offense doing it only once a season or even less. When was the last time Tennessee schemed to go against the triple option? And they always say: "you can't emulate the speed at which Tech runs it in practice!"

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I didn't make the fan day or the scrimmage, but I love the updates.
How did Freeman, Simmons, and Saint-Amour look?
I'm still hoping KeShun shows that flash he had his freshman year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I read that saint-amour was a regular presence in the back field.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Is the swap: we get the unique offense and they get defensive practice against typical offenses?
Pretty much. They get reps against their own offense in camp and spring and have scouts running ours during the season. I'm a big proponent of doing things away from the norm on offense for that reason.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Good to hear Jerry Howard looked good. I loved his film. Glad to see he’s at BB and not AB because for some reason a lot of people wanted him at AB.

I’m not near as glad about having such a close competition at QB as everyone else. Jay looks like he could be dynamic but he kind of scares me out there. Turnovers absolutely destroy our team. Offense loses momentum and our defense never seems to have the depth to go back out there after a turnover to prevent a score.

Was really hoping MJ would pull himself ahead but we don’t need a hesitant QB that can’t make a decision. The one thing I’ve never liked about MJ was his throwing ability and to hear it hasn’t improved doesn’t give me much confidence either.

I like Taquon’s command of the offense and he really looks like a leader out there. I wasn’t overly impressed with him in the spring game as far as throwing the ball but if he’s as improved as you guys say then I may jump on the TM train.

I don’t really see any negatives about LJ but I also never really see anything that overly wows me. A good player but doesn’t run quite like an option QB. Runs a bit high would be my only complaint.

Right now I think we may need to roll with the guy the players have the most confidence in. Taquon may be that guy.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Anyone pay attention to the 2nd team/backup OLs at the scrimmage? Hopefully that group has improved since spring. I think OL1 is a really nice group, but from what I saw in the spring, the backups make me nervous. I think they make CPJ nervous as well considering CPJ didn't want Jay Jones playing with the backup OLs as he was concerned about having to run for daylight on an injury.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Anyone pay attention to the 2nd team/backup OLs at the scrimmage? Hopefully that group has improved since spring. I think OL1 is a really nice group, but from what I saw in the spring, the backups make me nervous. I think they make CPJ nervous as well considering CPJ didn't want Jay Jones playing with the backup OLs as he was concerned about having to run for daylight on an injury.

Fwiw, I've been concerned by OL depth too, but thought our DL depth wasn't as bad in comparison. If the OL2s did alright against the DL2s, we may be okay.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

Backup OL players still having trouble in pass protection