Schedule release tomorrow (Wed) at 2p

Jmonty71

Banned
At least Clemson doesn't get a bye before us. Glad to see half the conference doesn't get a bye before us, this year. Home games have some interesting and very non interesting games. To me, its a much easier schedule than last year. If we lose to Bowling Green and Alcorn State, we got some serious issues.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Well, it's not ideal. I would have liked our one bye week to not be on a short week and shared with a division rival. That being said, the order seems alright. Without any knowledge of the future, it seems like we don't have two tough teams in a row at any point. On the flip side, for reference, here are who our opponents are playing before they face us:
Alcorn State: Off-Season
USF: Elon
Pitt: Penn State
Clemson: Georgia Southern
Bowling Green: TBA
Louisville: FSU
Duke: BYE
Virginia Tech: BYE
UNC: Virginia
Miami: Duke
Virginia: Liberty
uga: UMass

We shouldn't be worried about Alcorn State, USF, and Bowling Green focusing on us. Our team generally doesn't get upset by non-P5 teams. Pitt gets Penn State, so good luck with that. Clemson getting Georgia Southern isn't crazy since their DL is going to be nuts and our odds aren't going to be great to win. Louisville gets a tough game before and CPJ teams have beaten their rotating Atlantic teams almost every year (or is it every year?). But our last 6 opponents all will have the ability to look ahead to us. That's the scary part. Let's hope our team gets the momentum in the second half of the season like we did in 2014 and 2016.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
Sept. 1 Alcorn State - Good game to get some early backup reps
Sept. 8 @ USF - Will be nothing like the team from year
Sept. 15 @ Pitt - Good ACC team to get early. They struggle defending the option.
Sept. 22 Clemson - Probably going to be a long night if we can't throw with that Dline
Sept. 29 Bowling Green - Will make us feel better after Clemson
Oct. 5 @ Louisville (Fri.) - Hate Friday games, but should be a decent win
Oct. 13 Duke (Bye week) - Here's where we'll really see the difference between Woody vs Roof
BYE WEEK - I see us 6-1 at the Bye
Oct. 25 @ Virginia Tech (Thurs.) - Scary place on a Thursday night
Nov. 3 @ North Carolina - Probably a close win
Nov. 10 Miami - At home I think it's a toss up
Nov. 17 Virginia - Not in whoville so that's plus
Nov. 24 @ Georgia - Going to be interesting to see how they rebound.

I think 8-4 or 9-3 would be about right for this season. We could go on a tear after Clemson, but we can also lose a game we shouldn't.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Sept. 1 Alcorn State - Good game to get some early backup reps
Sept. 8 @ USF - Will be nothing like the team from year
Sept. 15 @ Pitt - Good ACC team to get early. They struggle defending the option.
Sept. 22 Clemson - Probably going to be a long night if we can't throw with that Dline
Sept. 29 Bowling Green - Will make us feel better after Clemson
Oct. 5 @ Louisville (Fri.) - Hate Friday games, but should be a decent win
Oct. 13 Duke (Bye week) - Here's where we'll really see the difference between Woody vs Roof
BYE WEEK - I see us 5-2 or 6-1 at the Bye
Oct. 25 @ Virginia Tech (Thurs.) - Scary place on a Thursday night
Nov. 3 @ North Carolina - Probably a close win
Nov. 10 Miami - At home I think it's a toss up
Nov. 17 Virginia - Not in whoville so that's plus
Nov. 24 @ Georgia - Going to be interesting to see how they rebound.

I think 8-4 or 9-3 would be about right for this season. We could go on a tear after Clemson, but we can also lose a game we shouldn't.
9-3 and a trip to the Camping World Bowl would be an awesome season for GT. 9 wins probably means GT would be rated in the #10-#20 range;)

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think some of y'all are confused on the rule. If you have an opponent (VT) that shares a common bye week with you, then you can have another team get a bye before you also (Duke in this case).
Right. But why is it always Duke or UNC?

Deleted member 2897

Yea for those keeping count at home. 3 teams play nobody before they play us (Alcorn State, Duke, Virginia Tech). This should be 2 - opening season and the 1 Bye. 4 teams play an FCS-like opponent: USF/Elon, Clemson/Georgia Southern, Virginia/Liberty, georgia/UMass. That makes 7 out of 12 games this year. If you ignore Alcorn State, its 6 out of 11 FBS opponents. That's actually above average. Over CPJs 10 year tenure, just under 50% of our FBS opponents have had either a Bye Week or an FCS opponent. This year its 55%.

Last year's schedule when released had Jax St (they played in week 0, then played nobody in week 1, then us), Miami, Clemson, and Wake - 4 teams with the week off before us. Pathetic.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Yea for those keeping count at home. 3 teams play nobody before they play us (Alcorn State, Duke, Virginia Tech). This should be 2 - opening season and the 1 Bye. 4 teams play an FCS-like opponent: USF/Elon, Clemson/Georgia Southern, Virginia/Liberty, georgia/UMass. That makes 7 out of 12 games this year. If you ignore Alcorn State, its 6 out of 11 FBS opponents. That's actually above average. Over CPJs 10 year tenure, just under 50% of our FBS opponents have had either a Bye Week or an FCS opponent. This year its 55%.

Last year's schedule when released had Jax St (they played in week 0, then played nobody in week 1, then us), Miami, Clemson, and Wake - 4 teams with the week off before us. Pathetic.
GT will adjust and overcome and win 10 games after they beat Texas in the Camping World Bowl;)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Well, it's not ideal. I would have liked our one bye week to not be on a short week and shared with a division rival. That being said, the order seems alright. Without any knowledge of the future, it seems like we don't have two tough teams in a row at any point. On the flip side, for reference, here are who our opponents are playing before they face us:
Alcorn State: Off-Season
USF: Elon
Pitt: Penn State
Clemson: Georgia Southern
Bowling Green: TBA
Louisville: FSU
Duke: BYE
Virginia Tech: BYE
UNC: Virginia
Miami: Duke
Virginia: Liberty
uga: UMass

We shouldn't be worried about Alcorn State, USF, and Bowling Green focusing on us. Our team generally doesn't get upset by non-P5 teams. Pitt gets Penn State, so good luck with that. Clemson getting Georgia Southern isn't crazy since their DL is going to be nuts and our odds aren't going to be great to win. Louisville gets a tough game before and CPJ teams have beaten their rotating Atlantic teams almost every year (or is it every year?). But our last 6 opponents all will have the ability to look ahead to us. That's the scary part. Let's hope our team gets the momentum in the second half of the season like we did in 2014 and 2016.

Pitt has to be thinking, "What the what?" They're the only Coastal Opponent that has to face decent competition the week before playing us. LOL

Deleted member 2897

Pitt has to be thinking, "What the what?" They're the only Coastal Opponent that has to face decent competition the week before playing us. LOL

And the ACC literally had no choice LOL - we are both the only teams who had September 15th open. We had to play each other. Its basically their 'fault' for scheduling Penn State then. Otherwise I'm sure they could have pre-cupcaked us too.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I don’t mind the schedule. No schedule is going to be perfect/easy unless your in the sec and you don’t schedule teams worth anything... cough cough.... UGA.

I like the fact we get an extra day of rest after playing Louisville, especially with it happening right before most conference games. I also like that we play on a Thursday from our bye week because it gives us 2 extra days before playing UNC.