Schedule release tomorrow (Wed) at 2p

Deleted member 2897

The comment tweets are hilarious. And well earned.

I'm going from memory (there was a tweet about it), but something like 50 of CPJs 100+ FBS opponents over his 10 years here either had a bye week before us or an FCS opponent.

They talk trash about us, dismiss us, and act like we aren't a threat - but their actions say otherwise.

Deleted member 2897

BTW, for those keeping track at home, each team is supposed to get 1 Bye Week each season. So in CPJs 10 years, our opponents should have had 10, and we should have been given 10. Of course we got our 10, but our opponents had 20. Including a couple years like last year where THREE of our opponents got them.

So of our 10 Bye Weeks, something like 5 or 6 of those were against a team that didn't have it back. Miami was one such team this year, only because of the hurricane rescheduling the FSU game though. Anyway, we lost in dramatically close fashion by 1 point on the road against a top 10 Miami team. That was the first loss we ever had when coming off a bye week when our opponents didn't. Bye weeks do matter, and the data support it very clearly. Historically under CPJ we are just barely above a 0.500 team in the ACC. We are nearly undefeated when we get a Bye and our opponents don't. We're something like 3-7 when its the other way around. I'm going from memory, but I looked it up once and the numbers stand in stark contrast on either side of our historical win-loss record.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, at least no ACC team plays Navy in 2018.

Duke opens the season with Army on Sept. 1, hence Duke has all summer to prep for Army, and to a lesser degree, Tech (and yes, Army and Tech don't run identical offenses, but still).

No ACC teams have scheduled The Citadel or Kennesaw State for a regular season "option scrimmage" against a FCS foe, so that's good.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
My guess would be that we’ll play as many teams coming off FCS games as possible, except Duke, who will likely play us the week after they play Army. It won’t be a desirable schedule, but it will at least be better than playing a bunch of teams coming off bye weeks.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I was going to predict that the rule changes people loved wouldn't make a difference at all in the amount of complaining but I see it's started early.

Deleted member 2897

If I were the ACC, my ability to screw Georgia Tech just got a lot more difficult since they can only give our opponents 1 Bye Week.

But if I wanted to try, I'd do something like:
Sept 1st: Alcorn State
Sept 8th: @USF
Sept 15th: @Pittsburgh - the week after they play Penn State. This will look like they are being nice to us, but no other Coastal team has the 15th open, so the ACC really has no choice.
Sept 22nd: Clemson plays Georgia Southern September 15th. Perfect for the ACC to screw us here. Can swap with Miami instead of next week since they play Toledo on the 15th or North Carolina as they play UCF or Louisville as they play Western Kentucky.
Sept 29th: Bowling Green
Oct 6th: I would give Miami a Bye Week on September 29th and then have us play them the next week without a Bye.
Oct 13th: Georgia Tech Bye Week. Its too early to have a Bye Week, so that would be perfect for the ACC.
Oct 20th: North Carolina. Put us against a team where the Bye Week won't matter because the next opponent is so bad. This will also be a fake move to hide their bias towards North Carolina, as they'll give us the Bye one of the few times it wouldn't matter.
Oct 27th: @Louisville. This is a good opportunity for a Bye Week before us if they don't give Miami one. Just make sure its when we don't get one.
Nov 3rd: Duke.
Nov 10th: Virginia Tech.
Nov 17th: @Virginia - they play Liberty the week before, so this would basically be like a Bye Week for Virginia.
Nov 24th: @Georgia - the other good thing for the ACC about giving us a Bye Week so early is we'd have to play Georgia after several straight weeks of play. Plus, Georgia plays UMass the week before.

So this would give a team a Bye Week before us, and 3 soft opponents in Georgia Southern, Liberty, and UMass.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Time to see who Swofford has favored with "the open week" before they play us...
Probably Clemson. Us vs Clemson is a usually thursday night game when we have them at home. in order to **** us we will get 2 thursday night games in a row while clemson will get a bye. We will have to play VT thursday in blacksburg the week before.

WreckedbyWhiskey

Georgia Tech Fan
Can we just not complain about the schedule? It is what it is. A schedule isn't the defining factor between good and great. Let's be thankful we play in a strong conference that gives us an opportunity to get into the playoffs if we win...unlike USF.

I just hate this "woe is me" attitude that is seemingly prevalent on this forum.

TaxJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If I were the ACC, my ability to screw Georgia Tech just got a lot more difficult since they can only give our opponents 1 Bye Week.

Sept 15th: @Pittsburgh - the week after they play Penn State. This will look like they are being nice to us, but no other Coastal team has the 15th open, so the ACC really has no choice.
Sept 22nd: Clemson plays Georgia Southern September 15th. Perfect for the ACC to screw us here. Can swap with Miami instead of next week since they play Toledo on the 15th or North Carolina as they play UCF or Louisville as they play Western Kentucky.
Oct 6th: I would give Miami a Bye Week on September 29th and then have us play them the next week without a Bye.
Oct 13th: Georgia Tech Bye Week. Its too early to have a Bye Week, so that would be perfect for the ACC.
Oct 20th: North Carolina. Put us against a team where the Bye Week won't matter because the next opponent is so bad. This will also be a fake move to hide their bias towards North Carolina, as they'll give us the Bye one of the few times it wouldn't matter.
Oct 27th: @Louisville. This is a good opportunity for a Bye Week before us if they don't give Miami one. Just make sure its when we don't get one.
Nov 17th: @Virginia - they play Liberty the week before, so this would basically be like a Bye Week for Virginia.
Nov 24th: @Georgia - the other good thing for the ACC about giving us a Bye Week so early is we'd have to play Georgia after several straight weeks of play. Plus, Georgia plays UMass the week before.

So this would give a team a Bye Week before us, and 3 soft opponents in Georgia Southern, Liberty, and UMass.

Sounds about right but we play @VT and are home vs UVA

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Can we just not complain about the schedule? It is what it is. A schedule isn't the defining factor between good and great. Let's be thankful we play in a strong conference that gives us an opportunity to get into the playoffs if we win...unlike USF.

I just hate this "woe is me" attitude that is seemingly prevalent on this forum.
Just because you talk like you're paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you in real life. Complaining about the schedule doesn't mean that we haven't gotten the shaft in prior years with regards to the schedules (ours and other ACC teams).

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

It would be nice for Virginia to lose to Liberty the week before GT plays them;)