Rumor Mills

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I left after my first quarter jr year and did 4 years in the Navy including Viet Nam cruise. When I came back in 1971 they had dropped the foreign language requirement and lowered the number of quarter hours needed to graduate, so in some respects it was easier to graduate in the 70's. GT expects a lot out of its students and 18 - 19 year old kids sometimes are just not ready for the demands required in the classroom. It wears on you mentally and physically. Now throw in FB practice, running, lifting, etc, it takes a really disciplined kid to get through it. I have the utmost respect for the kids that play FB and hang in there to graduate.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
That's probably because it's so much harder now to get in at Tech. Tech is getting the brightest and best, and they are surviving better than we did back in our day......days
No. They've changed the entire freshman experience. Because the average incoming student has improved (better instate students going to Tech), they've moved away from the severe weed-out classes. The low retention rates hurt our rankings in US News & World Report and other ranking rags. They altered the way they approach retention and we stay in the Top 5 for Engineering schools and Top 60 in the World.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Also keep in mind Devine is a Comp E - so grade issues could be legit, especially with someone dedicating the lot of their time to football in the fall.

Devine is a CompE??? Sheesh I didn't know. And I struggled through being "only" and IE... :ROFLMAO:
I don't blame the kid. Much luck and success to him.

As for the majority of other players that do Mgt or Literature Technology (what's the official name?), just how hard is it really? I would imagine many players come in and they're in for a severe shock and arse whupping their freshman year. My freshman year, I completely bombed and I was one of those honors, AP kid in high school.

Animal02

Banned
Devine is a CompE??? Sheesh I didn't know. And I struggled through being "only" and IE... :ROFLMAO:

As for the majority of other players that do Mgt or Literature Technology (what's the official name?), just how hard is it really? I would imagine many players come in and they're in for a severe shock and arse whupping their freshman year. My freshman year, I completely bombed and I was one of those honors, AP kid in high school.
You are not the only one. I was a Nat. Merit Scholar, top 5% in my H.S., ended up graduating with a 2.1.....and that was pulling it up for a year. Had a roommate that was top of his class in H.S...., thought he was God's gift to the computer world and lasted 5 quarters. I think the kids that struggled a bit more in H.S. did better because they knew / were disciplined to study. I am always amazed when I see these SA's graduate with honors.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
... I think the kids that struggled a bit more in H.S. did better because they knew / were disciplined to study.

I think there is some truth to this. My father and uncle were similar. My father breezed through high school and my uncle struggled a bit, but my uncle had the much better collegiate career (neither went to GT).

Animal02

Banned
I think there is some truth to this. My father and uncle were similar. My father breezed through high school and my uncle struggled a bit, but my uncle had the much better collegiate career (neither went to GT).
On the other hand....my struggles at Tech have certainly helped lifelong. I was one of 500 to start in the Arch. program that year.....less than 50 graduated from the program....only about 10 are still in the primary field, and I have been as successful as most.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

The M-train is "easier" but it's all relative. Nothing's "easy" at Tech.

You are not the only one. I was a Nat. Merit Scholar, top 5% in my H.S., ended up graduating with a 2.1.....and that was pulling it up for a year. Had a roommate that was top of his class in H.S...., thought he was God's gift to the computer world and lasted 5 quarters. I think the kids that struggled a bit more in H.S. did better because they knew / were disciplined to study. I am always amazed when I see these SA's graduate with honors.

I literally never studied in HS. Never prepped for SAT or none of that crap. GT kicked my butt ... early.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
I graduated cum laud from Sewanee a highly regarded liberal arts school. I was assigned engineering officer duties after OCS. After 6 years in the Navy I went to Tech for EE degree. I was married and over my party days at Sewanee and ports of the Med and Atlantic. I hit the books hard. At tech I got my first C ever the first quarter and not my last. I was happier over that C than any other grade I ever got up to then. Later my first D ever and just as happy. All this to say I fully agree and understand all the comments as to the difficulty of mother Tech. I agree and admire our SAs. Not only do we compete well, we do it with SAs of excellent character and determination. Tech does it the right way.
I am proud to be a Yellow Jacket.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Still got the wounds from Ma Tech. I've said in the past, she pulled every bit of technical ability I have out of my butt. Celebrated many C's and a few D's. The worst part of the Tech experience was the guy I shared a mailbox with. Back in the 70's, they would put your grade slip directly into the mail box. No privacy. My mailbox-mate made almost all A's in EE. Never met the guy, but I often thought about hanging around the post office until he showed up and then kick his ***.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
One thing which helps me through these things is to think about is all the QBs and RBs the teams we play are losing, either to the NFL or out of eligibility.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I graduated cum laud from Sewanee a highly regarded liberal arts school. … I was married and over my party days at Sewanee and ports of the Med and Atlantic.
I graduated from Sewanee too (nothing even approaching cum laude)! I'm also married. However, I never quite got over my party days (ask her). You should rally on that front.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
No. They've changed the entire freshman experience. Because the average incoming student has improved (better instate students going to Tech), they've moved away from the severe weed-out classes. The low retention rates hurt our rankings in US News & World Report and other ranking rags. They altered the way they approach retention and we stay in the Top 5 for Engineering schools and Top 60 in the World.

You're both right, really.

Frankly those low freshman retention rates were a sign of poor instruction as much as anything. A few of the Old Guard were still around when I started in 2004 (4 Horsemen of Calc, Physics 1&2, etc), and those guys were just abysmal teachers.

Animal02

Banned
You're both right, really.

Frankly those low freshman retention rates were a sign of poor instruction as much as anything. A few of the Old Guard were still around when I started in 2004 (4 Horsemen of Calc, Physics 1&2, etc), and those guys were just abysmal teachers.
Yes there were some bad ones...but the drop outs were also desired. We had 500 start in architecture. The reality was that the upper level studios co UI of only handle about 50/ year.