Rumor Mills

Lawyer mark

Jolly Good Fellow
Ibeeballin, since you are actually a reliable source, does mills want to be here and play? We all did dumb crap at his age, I just want to make sure he has the desire

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Heard Mills, Devine, and Simmons are all having grade issues. Mills has also used his second strike with substance abuse (weed) and has one strike left before dismissal - strike 2 was the reason for the VT & UVA suspension.

Also keep in mind Devine is a Comp E - so grade issues could be legit, especially with someone dedicating the lot of their time to football in the fall.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
It has been over 50 years but some still fresh memories of sweating it out waiting on grades and getting 40 to 60 which could be C to A. My first college C and D were at GT after graduating Cum Laude At Sewanee then 6 years in the Navy as an officer with my partying days over and committed to studying. I hated open book tests.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
From what ive heard yes. I think all he needs for next season is 1.8 to be eligible for next season. The struggle is what will be doing the during down time of the offseason after since their is no practice to occupy him
Man I remember when swim season ended and my school life fell apart because my mind said "Oh you have plenty of time to do that stuff now" and just never did it.

heyhellowhatsup

Jolly Good Fellow
from what i know (which is a decent amt), there isn't really any new issue with Mills. He's just kind of a risky kid... Has to stay out of trouble, but he hasn't done anything since the vt/uva suspension to warrant further concern.

simmons is just a terrible student, but still has a chance.

devine.. Issues outside football combined with lack of "want-to" in football arent a good combo.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Devine is a sharp young man. He is polite and respectful. He is a gifted athlete and very smart. I don't have any inside knowledge except to let y'all know that he is a first class young man. He had some injury issues this year, and he is a great team player. I hope he is 100% healthy and plays next year. I do know that he will graduate from GT and be successful.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
devine.. Issues outside football combined with lack of "want-to" in football arent a good combo.

I am not sure describing it as "lack of 'want to' in football" is fair. With these student athletes, I never want to make an assumption like they lack "want-to." I have heard Shamire is a really good kid who has worked incredibly hard. I think he has never been able to quite maximize his skill set in this offense, and CPJ has started looking more to some of the younger, more mobile guys. That is not on Shamire (or on CPJ for that matter). I hope he plays out his senior year, but thank him for his incredibly hard effort so far and wish him the best with whatever he decides to do! I think he could be a real asset in front of Jordan in our more power oriented offense next year.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure what's going on with Shamire. He played his best game in a Tech uniform against VT, then didn't see the field much against UVA or Georgia. That could be because he rubbed Sewak the wrong way somehow (that's been suggested here), it could be because he is injured (he's had issues this year), or it could be that he dialed down his efforts in practice when he saw that his great play against VT didn't signify.

At any rate, I hope he stays and decides to play out his senior year. He's still our best drive blocker and the only player we have who can truly neutralize a good DT on the other side. Stay with us, Shamire! Tech needs you.

As to Mills and Simmons … well, school's hard anywhere. Let's hope they do well in their courses now that they have some time off and remain eligible. One other thing: we don't know why Mills was suspended a second time, but, given the way Coach has spoken about it, I doubt that drugs were involved. Speculation along those lines is not needed. The young man has a future and we should all remember that.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
I damn near failed out after two semesters at Tech. Being told that I have to retake classes was all that it took to motivate me. Plus I had already been in school for 3 years. I needed to get my act together. This may be Mills's wakeup call that will help propel him through the rest of his career.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I damn near failed out after two semesters at Tech. Being told that I have to retake classes was all that it took to motivate me. Plus I had already been in school for 3 years. I needed to get my act together. This may be Mills's wakeup call that will help propel him through the rest of his career.

Hope so. I quite quickly went from Dean's List to them telling me, "Uh son, if you're gpa isn't at least here ___ next semester, you gone."

I kinda shaped up after that.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Hope so. I quite quickly went from Dean's List to them telling me, "Uh son, if you're gpa isn't at least here ___ next semester, you gone."

I kinda shaped up after that.
Yup. Deciding that I was going to show up for TA sessions may have been the biggest factor in my turnaround. Along with finding a group of friends that would do all nighters a time or two a week with me to prepare for tests and such. I hope Mills finds that group of folks.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully these are just rumors, but imo mills would be the biggest loss. After that Simmons and then Devine, we have decent depth at OL and some young guys came on strong late in the season at DE (Saint-amour) being the one that really stood out. If we can at least keep mills I think we will be fine, and it gives us a chance to sign a bigger class that can hopefully level out our recruiting from year to year. I will say that Simmons at times looked like he could be close to a double digit sack guy with some added size and a little work, so it could turn out to be a big loss if he were to leave. Devine is the one I'm not really sure about, academics were a major factor in him choosing GT and it make me wonder if that's what he wants to concentrate on, if so I can't fault him for that at all. No matter what happens with these guys I wish them the best of luck.