Rumor Mills

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Apparently the same source who predicted MM and Dorian transferring when no info was out is saying that Devine is the next to go. Also hearing Dedrick and Antonio Simmons apparently are both in a situation academically that is very grim. Anyone have anything to back this up?

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Devine might just quit football altogether. He mentioned that before this season started he really didn't enjoy football. It was a means to an end. He's got wonderful physical gifts, but you can't just put the desire to play into somebody. If anything, I'd think he'd leave the team and finish his degree since he's a RS Jr and likely going to graduate next semester. But I would hope he sticks with it through his last season, despite being beat out by Braun and Bryan.

As for Antonio, he took a semester off for reasons only the coaches and those close to him know. Also, Dedrick's suspensions could have been grade related. We'll see how that develops. If they all three leave, I'm seeing an offseason very similar to before the 2014 season.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Apparently the same source who predicted MM and Dorian transferring when no info was out is saying that Devine is the next to go. Also hearing Dedrick and Antonio Simmons apparently are both in a situation academically that is very grim. Anyone have anything to back this up?
AHHHHHH!!! I was just starting to block this out of my mind. Hopefully, the source is only right about 20% of these.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Devine might just quit football altogether. He mentioned that before this season started he really didn't enjoy football. It was a means to an end. He's got wonderful physical gifts, but you can't just put the desire to play into somebody. If anything, I'd think he'd leave the team and finish his degree since he's a RS Jr and likely going to graduate next semester. But I would hope he sticks with it through his last season, despite being beat out by Braun and Bryan.

As for Antonio, he took a semester off for reasons only the coaches and those close to him know. Also, Dedrick's suspensions could have been grade related. We'll see how that develops. If they all three leave, I'm seeing an offseason very similar to before the 2014 season.

First suspension was for missing practice, second is unknown to me.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes. Rumors about mills are certainly with smoke. Not sure if it means he is gone vs has to work on school the next 2 semesters though.

Devine would be no shock

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
It wouldn't shock me at all if Devine quit football. I don't think he would transfer. He chose GT because of the school part. For any others with grade issues, we just have to let the semester finish. Finals are in 2 weeks. If they are playing in the bowl game they are in good standing and then have both spring and summer semesters to improve. If any of these kids can just get to their 3rd years academically, it gets a lot easier.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yes. Rumors about mills are certainly with smoke. Not sure if it means he is gone vs has to work on school the next 2 semesters though.

Devine would be no shock

Yeah, sadly seeing Devine's role increasingly diminish seems to hint that something's been up for a while. Either way, hope he gets his degree.

Mills-related rumors should come as no shock. We're all rooting for the kid regardless. Simmons, I hope he's figured it out (whatever "it" is).

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
This is why we don't have a perennial top program. Even when we recruit well, this kind of stuff happens. It's part and parcel of what defines GT.

Its part of why. The other why is we dont have the depth to absorb attrition and our overall talent isnt high enough (back to depth). If we recruit really well for 4 straight years when this happens we can manage it better. Problem is we recruit a good class every 4.

Simply its just gt. It is what it is.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Devine is what it is. I don't even think he played against Virginia or Georgia.

The Mills thing is a big bummer if true. If he is ineligible, he won't be able to play in the bowl game, so we'll get to find out real quick about the other B-backs...

If this is true, what a meltdown of a week this has been

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I expected Devine to leave this past summer. This may be a "mutual" decision or process after he graduate I get a feeling both simply tired of each other.

As for Mills, he should be ok since he's not even in his core classes. If he is slightly motivated, there are ways to navigate him thru to a diploma

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

The Mills thing is a big bummer if true. If he is ineligible, he won't be able to play in the bowl game, so we'll get to find out real quick about the other B-backs...

From what I heard on Mills, its moreso getting to next season for him

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Devine was in on the game-winning PAT I know. Other than that, I don't think he played in the last few weeks. I don't think that was a coincidence. It's why we saw so many young OL.

I agree with @Ibeeballin on Devine. Him having weight issues for multiple years, hearing the same message from the coaches probably got stale. Fact of the matter is, the coaches weren't wrong and he'll probably appreciate it later. Still, it's probably hard continuously hearing, "Man, you gotta drop another 25!! Have another ice sandwich!"

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I was Dean's list first year and darn near flunked out after my sophom0re year. Situations change each year. The curriculum gets tougher plus expectations of the faculty increases and that first year charity seems to wane. There may have been even more intensity by the coach this year as he did not want to end up with another 3-9 year. GT is hard enough without FB and with an angry head coach on top of that, it could have been a brutal year. If we start seeing wholesale transfers, then we have an internal problem that the AD needs to address. GT is even more rigorous now than it was when I was there. There are very high standards expected in the classroom as well as on the football field.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I was Dean's list first year and darn near flunked out after my sophom0re year. Situations change each year. The curriculum gets tougher plus expectations of the faculty increases and that first year charity seems to wane. There may have been even more intensity by the coach this year as he did not want to end up with another 3-9 year. GT is hard enough without FB and with an angry head coach on top of that, it could have been a brutal year. If we start seeing wholesale transfers, then we have an internal problem that the AD needs to address. GT is even more rigorous now than it was when I was there. There are very high standards expected in the classroom as well as on the football field.

Yeah, but you know....the really hard classes at Tech had incredible curves if you took the right professors. I mean seriously...I remember getting a 53 or a 56 on a midterm and it was considered an A. That tool that shows the professor grade distributions was absolutely incredible. I always avoided professors with distributions skewed towards the low end, and I imagine the SA's are doing the same thing (at least I hope so).

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The AD needs to meet with the kids leaving the program in confidence and learn why they are leaving the program. You cannot address a problem unless you can define it first. Grade problems are obvious. The other stuff needs to be defined to see if there is a systemic problem that can be addressed.