Rotating QBs good or bad ?

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
The rotating QB situation is a result of playing to multiple constituencies. On the one hand, there is that group that couldn’t stand the TO, so the need to show more passing. That suggests playing your best passing QB (Lucas?). Then there is the group that loves the grind-it-out, rush-heavy attack, so the need to play your best rushing QB (Oliver?). Then there is the group that just wants to win, whatever the scheme, and with our talent composition, that suggests rushing more than passing, which points to Oliver. Losing means fewer fans in the stands. Then there are the high level recruits, some of whom just want to play for a winning program, which means win this year by whatever means, i.e., Oliver again. Other high level recruits want to see a commitment to a more pro-style offense, so passing more (Lucas?) would seem appropriate. So, which groups do you appease and which ones do you alienate? Make a complete break from the past, lose every game, but show you are committed to a pro-style future or go with the run-heavy scheme that might help you win a game or two with Oliver at the helm or fall somewhere in between, trying to appease everyone, while alienating, perhaps, everyone, as well?

MaconBacon IM88

Jolly Good Fellow
The rotating QB situation is a result of playing to multiple constituencies. On the one hand, there is that group that couldn’t stand the TO, so the need to show more passing. That suggests playing your best passing QB (Lucas?). Then there is the group that loves the grind-it-out, rush-heavy attack, so the need to play your best rushing QB (Oliver?). Then there is the group that just wants to win, whatever the scheme, and with our talent composition, that suggests rushing more than passing, which points to Oliver. Losing means fewer fans in the stands. Then there are the high level recruits, some of whom just want to play for a winning program, which means win this year by whatever means, i.e., Oliver again. Other high level recruits want to see a commitment to a more pro-style offense, so passing more (Lucas?) would seem appropriate. So, which groups do you appease and which ones do you alienate? Make a complete break from the past, lose every game, but show you are committed to a pro-style future or go with the run-heavy scheme that might help you win a game or two with Oliver at the helm or fall somewhere in between, trying to appease everyone, while alienating, perhaps, everyone, as well?
I think you're on it...it's like we're playing QBs to make everyone happy vs MGT deciding that we are a) playing to win today or b) playing for tomorrow's wins. I don't think either guy is consistently the 'win for today' answer - I would get QB3 in there with reps from freshman QB4. Find out who can move the ball...either of two current guys will get schemed out by D. They are too one dimensional, each in their own way (although neither has really shown great arm strength, timing, pocket presence, elusiveness from rush). So if we do not have the team/scheme to REALLY be a run team - we have to be able to pass also. But not by trotting out the other guy.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Currently, Oliver gives us the best chance to win NOW. I don't even know how that's debatable at this point.

I don't know what LJ brings to the table. He looks indecisive and slow out there to me. I'm not sure why he's labeled the "passer" of the group cause I have yet to see him really make a great throw.

Graham is an x-factor here cause he seems to able to do some of both but he's probably a turnover waiting to happen.

Yates should be spared from having to play behind this OL. Nothing good can come of that.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I could understand playing TO in the coming out zone or the Red Zone where running might be more important... but what we’re doing is bizarre.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
Playing L.Johnson has to stop with this oline. He's losing 5 to 10yards per sack and cannot sustain any drives. I think he was going to be the main guy on Sat because we wanted him to get comfortable with the offense but were shocked when we realized we couldn't block them. We couldn't just line up and run the ball.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Coach says anyone who practices well will earn the right to play including QBs, but I'm not sure practice and game time are translating yet. Oliver seems like the only one where that is different, and shouldn't it be the QB or two that looks to be the one that can get us the win?
Oliver may not have the best arm but he can get us where we need to be, the others just don't seem ready yet. Sometimes you can practice well, but just arent ready for game time

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Re watching coach's presser, it's all be confirmed that his style is going to be rotating QBs around depending on the package as a permanent thing, just like rotating other positions out.
I've never seen this in college football, at least to this degree..
What are some pros to this,

I've heard lots of negatives mainly mainly about how it never gets a QB enough time to settle in and then the risk of injury to all at the same time

I don’t get the impression that our coaches WANT to rotate QBs as a future direction. I think they feel that in order to give the most looks to the defense they have no choice given the QBs on the team. I’m basing that on what they did at Temple. It appeared to me, and based on some Q&A with my cousin who was a student at Temple (and a huge sports fan... and graduated this past spring) that they had no experienced QBs at the beginning of season 1 but went with the one who had been there the longest until he was injured in game 8. After that they had to play their backup. Then last year they started the season, I believe, with the QB who ended the previous season as the starter. But in game two gave Russo a few plays and then from game 3 on it was the Anthony Russo show. So going back to the most recent incarnation of CGC and CDP together I believe they’d like to have one guy but none have proven to give them enough broad ability across the playbook, some of which is due to guys at other positions so I’m not putting it all on the QBs, at this point.

Going back a bit further to CDP’s time at Coastal Carolina he absolutely had a clear starter who got almost all the snaps at QB each of his years there.

If I had to guess they would love it if Lucas would take the job so they could more safely use Tobias all over the place.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
The master of “messaging” doin his thang.

We don’t agree on many things but in this case I think the thing about rotating QBs because of the ATL strategy is exactly “messaging.” There’s no evidence in CDPs past and, in fact, CGC + CDP at Temple together, that indicates they WANT to use a 2 QB strategy. So I suspect we’re getting a heavy dose of coach-speak in this regard because CGC doesn’t want to come right out and say none of our guys have stepped up to be able to do everything we need.

BTW I think Tobias Oliver is just a flat out football player!!! I don’t think the coaches are pulling our legs when they say he is one of the most gifted athletes they’ve ever coached.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I don't think it's a doomed philosophy. Correlation doesn't equal causation, right? Where's @GTNavyNuke? He's usually making the most thorough arguments for this very philosophy.

From my observations, I definitely understand where this QB decision is coming from. The ATL philosophy is dependent on the baseline of where the line is. The line is a moving average of talent level. If we had better QB talent, some of our current guys would not be ATL. We don't have a guy who can do what we need, so what gives us the best chance, with THIS scheme, is a combination of the guys. We even saw this work well with CPJ - Vad and Tevin together put up a very good offensive year. The different styles/strengths/speeds was an extra variable for the defenses to deal with. Thomas and Byerly (wish we'd had that guy in 2015) to a lesser exten. That's not exactly the same as what we're doing now, but it isn't totally different either. There were times when we were down at the end of the game that I was wishing CPJ would put in the better passer because we were going to have to pass every down due to the situation.

I don't blame the offensive woes on the QB situation or the coaching decisions in that regard so far. I don't foresee a different outcome in any of the three games if we were only playing 1 QB instead of all 3. I do think it could be more effective if they could screw with the defense by running some Tobias plays with Lucas and vice versa more often. That way the defense has to play more honest. But, then you're not playing to each QB's strengths.

I'm hoping James Graham becomes Nick Marshall. That's who he reminds me of. But, if he is Nick Marshall, do we have and/or will we run an offense that takes advantage of him as such?

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
If there was a chance for Yates to play, it was Saturday. Things just did not work out like they should have. Does anyone have any inside knowledge of how he's progressing? I watched a few Milton games last year and he sure looked the part.

I don’t know how he looks in practice but I’m not sure I would want to put a true freshman in the shotgun behind our patchwork OL where the snap isn’t super consistent. That’s just my thought.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
We have seen enough of the QB experiment. Start and stick with TO against Temple for good or bad. It will give consistency and he is a proven winner from last year and so far this year. What else must the kid do to get the starting role?!
Agree completely but I think that's where the disconnect is right now. Starting role for what we are used to means being the main qb pick, but with CGC it means you have earned play time with the rest of the QBs like the other positions

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
1. I'm sympathetic to the "not so fast" response to the "platooning is always bad" chorus. I wonder if the "nobody else does it" argument might not just reflect a fear of being different.

2. I suspect that a lot of the go with TO and bench LJ arguments are not considering sufficiently what they are being asked to do and when. We have a whole thread about our weaknesses on OL, and we have people dogmatically complaining about LJ for his failure to pass from the pocket (which often doesn't exist).

3. I think that if we are going to have different packages for the different QB's then they need to have sufficient diversity for each to counter what the defense is doing. Here, I'm not sure how much is on the players failing to execute or the OC failing to call an effective game, but I fear the latter.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
We have seen enough of the QB experiment. Start and stick with TO against Temple for good or bad. It will give consistency and he is a proven winner from last year and so far this year. What else must the kid do to get the starting role?!

Agreed! I feel bad for Oliver last year he should have been the starter when Marshall was hurt and not fully back to 100%, if that happens we probably beat Duke and Pitt in my opinion.

Then this year Oliver has shown he can move the ball when we need him to, and yet he isn't the starter again. All we need to work on is his passing, start with quick short ones and work on the deep balls as we progress.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Rotating QB's should only be used as a change of pace kind of deal for maybe 1 or 2 predetermined drives the whole game. What we're doing is completely stupid. Lucas has not even shown he's a better passed than Tobias yet we pull Tobias out on obvious passing downs and you can almost guarantee we aren't getting the first when you see it in the stands.

Give the reigns to Oliver and run with it. We see it and I'm sure the players see it too. Just let the damn kid play QB like we've been calling for 2 years now regardless of system. I have seen absolutely nothing to suggest we can't call the same plays for Tobias that we call for Lucas. IMO our playbook is probably more open.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I’m okay playing all 3 QBs. I just think it’s a self imposed hindrance to pit one QB in on 1st and 2nd down and another in on 3rd. Then rinse and repeat.

Give them a series to see things on the field and adjust before yanking them in and out. I also haven’t given up on LJ. He had a rough game Saturday. Doesn’t mean he necessarily will next week. But if he is sent in and out, in and out...I think that will handicap him.