Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacket71

Georgia Tech Fan
You mean someone that knows the O inside and out. And proved it on the field. You were talking about Candeto...and we already have him.
No, I am not necessarily talking about someone who knows the O but someone who can improve passing skills, reading defenses. Not necessarily one who can run the option.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
He negotiated for a raise for his assistants instead of a raise for himself. That is the same thing. Future money out of his pocket for his assistants.

RonJohn, I agree with you more often than not, but in this case you’re wrong. In September, I gave my VPs all unbudgeted raises. But I did not reduce my own salary. That’s the same thing CPJ did, not what Dabo did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
No, I am not necessarily talking about someone who knows the O but someone who can improve passing skills, reading defenses. Not necessarily one who can run the option.

So are you basing your evaluation of Candeto from the performance of a QB in a single year? A QB that started at that position for the first time this year? Do you believe that is an adequate amount of information to condemn Candeto as incompetent?

Reactions: Eli

jacket71

Georgia Tech Fan
So are you basing your evaluation of Candeto from the performance of a QB in a single year? A QB that started at that position for the first time this year? Do you believe that is an adequate amount of information to condemn Candeto as incompetent?
I never said Candeto was incompetent. I do advocate for a passing guru....if all of you who think we should pass more are correct. Played the game enough to know that TM’s mechanics need work in the passing arena.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
RonJohn, I agree with you more often than not, but in this case you’re wrong. In September, I gave my VPs all unbudgeted raises. But I did not reduce my own salary. That’s the same thing CPJ did, not what Dabo did.

So CPJ should take a pay cut. How much? How much is needed to hire the assistants he wants? To pay them a competitive salary and entice them in. Even if he gave his whole salary away he likely wouldn't be competing in the same league as our peers or primary rivals.

Seems reasonable.

Reactions: Eli

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
I wonder whether John Chavis is following Sumlin to ASU. I know that would be a fairly large jump in budget, but he's been very good everywhere he's been.

A promise of autonomy and only being on the field 20-25 minutes could be enticing. But he likely wouldn't have the 4-5*s he's had at UT/LSU/TAMU.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I never said Candeto was incompetent. I do advocate for a passing guru....if all of you who think we should pass more are correct. Played the game enough to know that TM’s mechanics need work in the passing arena.

I agree he needs work there. And in his checks at the line, reads in the option, checkdowns off primary receivers to find WRs running open downfield , etc.

But it's easy to focus on the negative and forget the positive in a down year. It also doesn't prove the coaching is deficient. Maybe it is. But you have no proof that's the case. Just a desire for better. That desire I concur with.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
We have never been efficient throwing the ball at Tech. I think after year ten , we still look awful in every aspect of passing the ball. There is some major player development problems. Can you agree there is issues with the passing attack ?
JT was efficient enough in 2014 and 2016 with 11 wins and 9. we scored 43, 35, and 25 in our losses in 2014. You can't get much better than that on offense. I'd actually say if we had a top 30 D that year we would have made the playoffs.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
Last time Johnson made staff changes he tried to keep under wraps as much as possible till after signing day so even if he does I doubt we'll hear anything more than rumors till after the December signing period.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I've pointed this out before.

Anyone who thinks Roof can't coach is suffering from a basic error. Roof, just like all coaches in college football, knows what needs to be done. The problem has been our lack of D talent to do it, especially at DT. Cerg, Glanton, and Adams are all big enough, but the last two are still young and none of them - unfortunately - has shown the physical talent to take over yet. That could still happen, but we need to get lucky. The rest of the D is ok; not great, but ok. Luckily, we have more talented players in the pipe that could make a difference going forward. Give Roof the talent - in this case, the size and talent - and he'll produce; he already has.

Our D recruiting for the last two years has picked up, so we might solve this problem going forward. We have to be aware of how much sheer bum luck is involved in finding great DLs, however. Nobody much recruited Aaron McDonald; too short and too small, everyone - but Pitt - said. Randy White was recruited as an LB; it took Bobby a week to move him to DT. Warren Sapp was not seen as a prime recruit for da U until his first few practices, much to The Rock's chagrin. And nobody but Bobby would touch Marco Coleman; he was a "tween" (too small to be a DL, to slow to be an LB) for everyone else. I hope we get this lucky again.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

Big difference is CPJ was up for a raise. So instead of taking the raise he gave his guys raises. It's essentially the same thing Dabo did, he just didn't get to the point of where he took a raise and then gave money up after the fact, he did it up front.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I've pointed this out before.

Anyone who thinks Roof can't coach is suffering from a basic error. Roof, just like all coaches in college football, knows what needs to be done. The problem has been our lack of D talent to do it, especially at DT. Cerg, Glanton, and Adams are all big enough, but the last two are still young and none of them - unfortunately - has shown the physical talent to take over yet. That could still happen, but we need to get lucky. The rest of the D is ok; not great, but ok. Luckily, we have more talented players in the pipe that could make a difference going forward. Give Roof the talent - in this case, the size and talent - and he'll produce; he already has.

Our D recruiting for the last two years has picked up, so we might solve this problem going forward. We have to be aware of how much sheer bum luck is involved in finding great DLs, however. Nobody much recruited Aaron McDonald; too short and too small, everyone - but Pitt - said. Randy White was recruited as an LB; it took Bobby a week to move him to DT. Warren Sapp was not seen as a prime recruit for da U until his first few practices, much to The Rock's chagrin. And nobody but Bobby would touch Marco Coleman; he was a "tween" (too small to be a DL, to slow to be an LB) for everyone else. I hope we get this lucky again.
So what about the drop in production at Auburn? I'm pretty sure he had some talented guys there.

So CPJ should take a pay cut. How much? How much is needed to hire the assistants he wants? To pay them a competitive salary and entice them in. Even if he gave his whole salary away he likely wouldn't be competing in the same league as our peers or primary rivals.

Seems reasonable.
The fact he would do this makes clemson a desirable place to coach. Unlike it is at Tech where you are assured to be thrown under the bus and blamed for the shortcomings of the HC.

Big difference is CPJ was up for a raise. So instead of taking the raise he gave his guys raises. It's essentially the same thing Dabo did, he just didn't get to the point of where he took a raise and then gave money up after the fact, he did it up front.
No you're wrong. Dabo essentially wrote clemson a check. Paul gave away tech's money not his own. Big difference and if can't see it you're not trying to.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
The fact he would do this makes clemson a desirable place to coach. Unlike it is at Tech where you are assured to be thrown under the bus and blamed for the shortcomings of the HC.

I use to have perspective too. But then I realized his assistants are grown men. If you can't take criticism go coach high school football in Arkansas.

Status
Not open for further replies.