Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Rather I have been posting for years or 24 hours , what does that have to do with anything. I personally think Johnson is on his way out. Why does that upset you ?

You created your account 23 hours ago per the info, so maybe those who have been posting around here don’t like people that join specifically to badmouth our team and call for coaches to be fired. It doesn’t make a great first impression, you know.
This year has been frustrating for ALL of us because of how close we have been to winning a bunch of games. If those few plays had gone the other way this discussion wouldn’t be happening. Unfortunately that didn’t happen, then the last 2 games kind of snowballed on us. It sucks, but that’s football.

I've pointed this out before.

Anyone who thinks Roof can't coach is suffering from a basic error. Roof, just like all coaches in college football, knows what needs to be done. The problem has been our lack of D talent to do it, especially at DT. Cerg, Glanton, and Adams are all big enough, but the last two are still young and none of them - unfortunately - has shown the physical talent to take over yet. That could still happen, but we need to get lucky. The rest of the D is ok; not great, but ok. Luckily, we have more talented players in the pipe that could make a difference going forward. Give Roof the talent - in this case, the size and talent - and he'll produce; he already has.

Our D recruiting for the last two years has picked up, so we might solve this problem going forward. We have to be aware of how much sheer bum luck is involved in finding great DLs, however. Nobody much recruited Aaron McDonald; too short and too small, everyone - but Pitt - said. Randy White was recruited as an LB; it took Bobby a week to move him to DT. Warren Sapp was not seen as a prime recruit for da U until his first few practices, much to The Rock's chagrin. And nobody but Bobby would touch Marco Coleman; he was a "tween" (too small to be a DL, to slow to be an LB) for everyone else. I hope we get this lucky again.
Going to a prevent defense at the end of the half yesterday and giving up a FG tells me he does NOT know what to do.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
You guys act like everything is going to change overnight once these people are hired. I don't see it happening. I personally think Stansbury is not going to invest all these resources on a guy that is 60 years of age. At best Johnson will coach two more seasons and he's gone.
I never said or even hinted that it would change overnight. And honestly, who cares how much longer he coaches. The longer you wait to increase the recruiting staff, the longer it’s going to take to improve. Recruiting is important for the current coach and the future coaches. We need better talent on offense, defense, and special teams to compete at a higher level. Everyone can agree on that...we need to build that staff up to get in line with there in the conference or we are going to fall even further behind. Time to act is now, not next year or two to three years or whenever CPJ is gone.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Dabo gave a few million not 500k. So yes there is difference. Dabo has done it more than once.
I was giving an example, I have no clue how much either gave up but money is money and they both took less so it's the same thing. From what I'm seeing on here you are in the minority in this matter. But, I respect your opinion, I just see it differently.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
No you're wrong. Dabo essentially wrote clemson a check. Paul gave away tech's money not his own. Big difference and if can't see it you're not trying to.
The money Dabo had was from the school though. And if CPJ isn't taking a raise (that he could have taken) isn't that pretty much coming out of his pocket, if you want to look at it that way. Like I said the difference is CPJ didn't let it get to the point of having to take money away from his current contract, he nipped it in the bud before it got to that point.

The money Dabo had was from the school though. And if CPJ isn't taking a raise (that he could have taken) isn't that pretty much coming out of his pocket, if you want to look at it that way. Like I said the difference is CPJ didn't let it get to the point of having to take money away from his current contract, he nipped it in the bud before it got to that point.
Dabo did this without getting s raise. He wrote a check without being compensated by the univ. Paul did not do this. Keep mentioning raise. Dabo again didn't get a raise. He gave up money from his contract. Essentially he took a pay cut. Paul hasn't taken a pay cut.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Dabo did this without getting s raise. He wrote a check without being compensated by the univ. Paul did not do this. Keep mentioning raise. Dabo again didn't get a raise. He gave up money from his contract. Essentially he took a pay cut. Paul hasn't taken a pay cut.
How is it not a pay cut when he could be making more money? So let's say CPJ took a raise and then a week later wrote a check to his assistants would you say he did the same thing Dabo did? Dabo wasn't getting a raise but he was also making triple the pay CPJ is making (not sure the exact amount)

Reactions: Eli

GTfan4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
This seems such a ridiculous argument. Kudos to Dabo for taking money out of his pocket to help pay assistants. Kudos to CPJ for asking that his scheduled raise be given to help pay assistants. Both seem worthy of praise from we who would most likely do neither to help pay for our subordinates. The key is, it should be up to the employer to do that. And Clemson is at least more "all in" than GT at this moment. The real question is what staffing gives us the best chance to avoid a repeat of this year?

Eli

Helluva Engineer
But it's not a big difference, the only difference is CPJ did let it get to the point of having to take away from his contract because he did it up front. If CPJ could have gotten a 500,000 dollar raise and instead let his staff have it how is that SO different than Dabo signing a HUGE contract and then giving up 500,000? It just shows they both gave up money, just in different ways that aren't really that different.

I think up state has a fathead of Dabo above his bed

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
The one thing Dabo has going for him is that he's a salesman. He is smart enough to know to surround himself with the best coordinators. From there, he motivates his players and they love playing for him. That goes a long ways with 18-21 year olds.

75southjacket

Banned
This isn't any more true now than the first however many times you said it. We absolutely need to complete more of the pass plays we call. We don't need to call more pass plays. Big difference.
The one thing Dabo has going for him is that he's a salesman. He is smart enough to know to surround himself with the best coordinators. From there, he motivates his players and they love playing for him. That goes a long ways with 18-21 year olds.
I think this is what cpj lacks.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
Morgan Burnett didn't get drafted? Derrick Morgan didn't get drafted? Brandon Watts didn't get drafted? Jemea Thomas didn't get drafted? Jeremiah Attaouchu didn't get drafted? DJ White didn't get drafted? Adam Gostis didn't get drafted? No I guess no defensive player at GT will ever get drafted or play in the NFL.

1-M Burnett recruited by CCG
2-D Morgan recruited by CCG
3-B Watts drafted 223rd, 7th round, now a F/A
4-J Thomas drafted 6th round, not in the NFL currently
5-J Attouchu is legit
6-DJ White drafted 6th round. Made it to the NFL but hardly a poster child for what GT did for him.
7-A Gotsis is legit.

Of the 7 you list, 2 came in under CPJ AND are legit NFL players - both on the d-line. DJW is the only skill player to make it in 10 years. No other corner, safety, or LB has had an impact.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Didn't the AD just extend Ted Roof and give him a raise a few weeks ago? If Roof is fired Todd Stansbury will look very dumb. We could have walked away from his contract in a month's time for nothing.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The one thing Dabo has going for him is that he's a salesman. He is smart enough to know Clemson provides enough football funding to allow him to afford to surround himself with the best coordinators. From there, he motivates his players and they love playing for him. That goes a long ways with 18-21 year olds.

FIFY

Status
Not open for further replies.