Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.
With early signing a couple of days away... I'll ask the question. This is a "Roof" thread. Scattered through this and other threads is the notion that a logical time to "let him go" would be AFTER the early signing period. I'm not asking whether he should or should not stay...or the implications of his contract and all that. I'm specifically interested in the logic of that strategy/timing of firing your DC (or any coach) when/after early signing period starts? I understand he's regarded as good recruiter and we want him to 'bring home' the goods. Assuming that is true... is it common practice to keep a coach through the early signing period for the purposes of landing the recruits he's garnered before firing the guy? If so.. then OK... I guess that's the industry standard. However, if not... it seems like a severely flawed approach. Just keeping a guy around from season's end for another month for that specific purpose would be obvious... and how does that help Ga Tech in the long term? What potential replacement coach would want to come to a program that does that (again... I am assuming this is not the industry standard (timing wise) for firing coaches)? ...and how do the recruits that Roof landed respond?
Since this is the first time there has been an early signing period, I guess there is no answer to your question....YET

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If roof was to be let go it would’ve already happened.A new DC is going to want to have the freedom to pick his own staff. Now you’re talking a big shake up in the defensive coaching staff. Nothings going to change at this point in my opinion.

This.

If CPJ was going to fire Roof, it would have already been done. You don't recruit under the impression that kids will play under Roof, only to have him fired when all the kids are signed. CPJ doesn't operate like that. Also, you want the next guy to recruit as many of "his guys" as he can as the next DC might have different preferences for the skillsets of his defense.

If anything, there could probably be a "Hey Ted, if another job comes calling, it's probably in your best interest to take it...or if you want to look, I won't be hurt" type agreement.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
If we don't fire him now (and I don't think we will since we haven't heard about any staff shakeups or even rumors) I don't know what the plan is. We have so many new starters, why not start fresh with a new defense? If we keep Roof and we decline we can easily look at the schedule or the new starters and blame those. If he isn't let go this offseason then we're basically handcuffing ourselves to him until the end of Johnson's current contract.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
If we don't fire him now (and I don't think we will since we haven't heard about any staff shakeups or even rumors) I don't know what the plan is. We have so many new starters, why not start fresh with a new defense? If we keep Roof and we decline we can easily look at the schedule or the new starters and blame those. If he isn't let go this offseason then we're basically handcuffing ourselves to him until the end of Johnson's current contract.

I haven't been in any of the coaches meetings either. I haven't had any detailed conversations with CPJ about the direction of the program or the defense. I would say that the section that I bolded is the most accurate statement of anyone in this entire thread.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I guess I'll take abuse with you, but after 30 years of A-T donations I quit donating while Bobinski was here. I wrote him a letter--the only one I have ever written to an AD, a point I made clear in my letter--and asked for a response. I didn't get one. If I don't respond to my clients, they fire me. I wasn't going to continue giving money to the GTAA if my 30 years of donations are not worth a few minutes of the AD's time.

I started giving again last year, but at a lower level. I am still in a wait and see mode with Stansbury. It takes a couple of years to sort things out, especially for a guy who is still relatively inexperienced. He will complete his second academic year in May.

If we don't see significant improvement by Stansbury in 12 months, I will reevaluate.

My prediction is that GT and Johnson will reach a mutual parting of the ways after next season. Gregory will be paid off, and Hewitt will be close, so the GTAA can afford the buy out. We'll offer the $2 million, and Johnson will take it. The mistakes of Braine et al will be past us, and the football program will totally be football alumnus Stansbury's--for better or for worse. We will see. I hope he is like Homer Rice, who always kept a list of preferred coaching replacements in his desk drawer.

Not even close. We are looking at a minimum of a 10 win season next year and a probable orange bowl birth again.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Welcome aboard MBM!
My optimism has been sapped by the last 6 quarters of the 17 season. 7 points for gt and 58 for duke uga and we have same ast coaches.

Thanks, I have been on gojackets.com forever but sadly I feel that site is in a slow death spiral. Came here looking for more people to interact with.
That was definitely a gut punch at the end of the season. I think the team did not play as well as it could have once a lot of the goals for the 2017 season became unavailable.

Maybe I am wrong but I feel like we will have a more senior team next year. See the pattern is 3 wins 9 wins so it has to be 5 wins and then 11 wins for 2018. :)

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
Pure speculation, but I am not confident that Ted Roof is retained after the early signing period
Let me make it clear, however; it's a controversial topic, but I do hope that Ted Roof is retained. I think we are seeing progress, and I believe he would surprise some folks if he were to be given another year. I'm just not sure it will happen

Deleted member 2897

Clemson, with roughly the same enrollment and graduate numbers as our Alma Mater, just reported that IPTAY raised over $60 MILLION in 2017 to boost their athletes. We have a looooong way to go ! In our 2016-2017 fiscal year the AT fund raised $19 MILLION. We need to put our money where our mouths are ..........

Well, that's not entirely true. Clemson is 25% bigger than Georgia Tech, and that's even after our enrollment has ballooned over the last 10 years. They have a much bigger fan base, and have a lot of advantages - they are in the middle of nowhere relatively speaking, with no professional sports teams anywhere in the state.

I think I read that 25% of Clemson grads give to IPTAY, and I think I read that 35% of Georgia Tech grads give back to the school itself, not to the AT Fund (I think only like 7% give to the AT Fund). Georgia Tech charges a tuition, gets grants, etc. etc. etc. We need to change that dynamic.

Deleted member 2897

Let me make it clear, however; it's a controversial topic, but I do hope that Ted Roof is retained. I think we are seeing progress, and I believe he would surprise some folks if he were to be given another year. I'm just not sure it will happen

I wouldn't be opposed to this. I like so much of what he does. What drives me absolutely batty is when he goes super conservative way back off the line and then back peddle...and CPJ apparently doesn't stop him. I think if CPJ thought that was a bad idea, he would put his foot down. Why he doesn't seem to is beyond me, so it gives the impression that he doesn't think Roof is doing a bad job.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't be opposed to this. I like so much of what he does. What drives me absolutely batty is when he goes super conservative way back off the line and then back peddle...and CPJ apparently doesn't stop him. I think if CPJ thought that was a bad idea, he would put his foot down. Why he doesn't seem to is beyond me, so it gives the impression that he doesn't think Roof is doing a bad job.
CPJ has said, if he hires a guy then he lets him do his thing. He also has said he doesn't have the time to mess with the D because he has so much other stuff to keep up. He's not only the head coach but he's the offensive coordinator. He is also on record saying to get more aggressive, so he has said something.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Well, that's not entirely true. Clemson is 25% bigger than Georgia Tech, and that's even after our enrollment has ballooned over the last 10 years. They have a much bigger fan base, and have a lot of advantages - they are in the middle of nowhere relatively speaking, with no professional sports teams anywhere in the state.

I think I read that 25% of Clemson grads give to IPTAY, and I think I read that 35% of Georgia Tech grads give back to the school itself, not to the AT Fund (I think only like 7% give to the AT Fund). Georgia Tech charges a tuition, gets grants, etc. etc. etc. We need to change that dynamic.

Clemson enrollment for 2016 was 23,406. GT enrollment for 2016 was 26,839.

I believe TStan said in a podcast that there are 8,000 annual donors to the AT Fund. That is less than 7% of 123,000.

Deleted member 2897

Clemson enrollment for 2016 was 23,406. GT enrollment for 2016 was 26,839.

I believe TStan said in a podcast that there are 8,000 annual donors to the AT Fund. That is less than 7% of 123,000.

Georgia Tech: 15,000 undergraduates in 2017.
Clemson: 19,000 undergraduates in 2017.

That's what I focus on. Most people in graduate school keep their loyalties with their undergraduate school. Plus you're talking about people getting PhDs in very obscure highly technical fields that I'm pretty sure translates to a very tiny percentage of sports fandom.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech: 15,000 undergraduates in 2017.
Clemson: 19,000 undergraduates in 2017.

That's what I focus on. Most people in graduate school keep their loyalties with their undergraduate school. Plus you're talking about people getting PhDs in very obscure highly technical fields that I'm pretty sure translates to a very tiny percentage of sports fandom.

According to Wikipedia, GT had 126,000 living alumni in 2010. According to the Clemson Alumni site, Clemson currently has 136,000. Their football team has many more fans than GT, but it isn't because of the difference in size of living alumni.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
We , as grads, supporters , fans, must develop a groundswell of dialogue with TStan and the Hill about changing priorities. But the truth is the money has to flow in FIRST to get the ball rolling. Many of us want to wait for the success first, and THEN send in more support. That's why I thought IPTAY was so successful and that we need something similar , and SOON !

Deleted member 2897

According to Wikipedia, GT had 126,000 living alumni in 2010. According to the Clemson Alumni site, Clemson currently has 136,000. Their football team has many more fans than GT, but it isn't because of the difference in size of living alumni.

They must die young.

From 1994 to 2008, our enrollment increased 40%. There were 9,000 undergrads when I started in the early 1990s, 13,000 for Clemson. They've always been about 20%-30%+ bigger than us. Which is why I find it odd that it is stated somewhere they only have 8% more alumni (136,000 versus 126,000). Maybe they go out and work the fields and die early. :cigar:

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Many of you don't know that the series between Tech and Clemson is still 50-29 in Tech's favor. And also that EVERY game for about 70 YEARS ( 1904-1974 ) was played at BDS. Tech won the VAST MAJORITY of those games. Because Clemson never went to bowl games at that time, they thought of a trip to Atlanta as their bowl game. They have come a looooong way in football. We, IMO, have been relatively stagnant.

Status
Not open for further replies.