Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I've posted it before, but we are still paying two basketball coaches to not be here (Hewitt's number is something like $7million). We also did a $50million dollar renovation to the basketball area about 5 years ago, and $8-9million for the brand new Zelnak Center in the last 10 years. We have money and donors, but we use it for other sports. Our AA/donors see us as a basketball school. The last upgrade we invested in for football was paid for by the Atlanta soccer team. Before that the indoor facility which cost $7million (1 Paul Hewitt if you use the metric system).

As far as the AT fund goes, I definitely think they need to make it easier. Use Venmo or something for small $10-$20 donations. It's easier than what they have set up now.

msargent1

Jolly Good Fellow
@msargent1 contacted CJP and was put in contact with a guy at the AT Fund who was able to direct him to the proper place to specify the funds to basketball. I haven't seen a direct link to football and basketball specific donations on their website.

For basketball, it is:

https://securelb.imodules.com/s/148...=4&pgid=446&cid=1143&appealcode=AT18W&dids=32

That was the sport I asked about.

My contact was:

Nick Parsons
Director of Annual Giving ‑ Alexander‑Tharpe Fund
Georgia Tech Athletic Association
150 Bobby Dodd Way NW | Atlanta, Georgia | 30332
[email protected]
W:404.894.5390

I'm sure he'd be willing to help you make a donation to the sport of your choice. :)

GTdragons

Jolly Good Fellow
For basketball, it is:

https://securelb.imodules.com/s/148...=4&pgid=446&cid=1143&appealcode=AT18W&dids=32

That was the sport I asked about.

My contact was:

Nick Parsons
Director of Annual Giving ‑ Alexander‑Tharpe Fund
Georgia Tech Athletic Association
150 Bobby Dodd Way NW | Atlanta, Georgia | 30332
[email protected]
W:404.894.5390

I'm sure he'd be willing to help you make a donation to the sport of your choice. :)

Isn’t it kind of odd that I need to email someone to get a top secret link to make a donation to the football program though? Is that how it works for other schools? It seems they really want people to donate to the general scholarship fund instead of directly to football. I’m sure they have their reasons. But say we all go donate a couple hundred dollars to the general scholarship fund. What impact would it really have on the football program at this point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

msargent1

Jolly Good Fellow
Isn’t it kind of odd that I need to email someone to get a top secret link to make a donation to the football program though? Is that how it works for other schools? It seems they really want people to donate to the general scholarship fund instead of directly to football. I’m sure they have their reasons. But say we all go donate a couple hundred dollars to the general scholarship fund. What impact would it really have on the football program at this point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suppose you could fill in the “special instruction” box and state you want it to go to football.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The money I donate to golf is money that doesn't have to come out of the AA budget to support golf. Do you want to run that program in the ground too. I give money to AT as well that is undesignated. They already extort money for season tickets for football. I want to see our new AD and how he handles paying off and negotiating contracts in football and basketball. That albatross just doesn't seem to go away. That would be money that could be spent on FB and BB. We have had some really dumb AD's. Asking to pony up more money to basically pay off Hewitt, Gregory, and Gailey (now over) doesn't compute.

The money I donate to golf is money that doesn't have to come out of the AA budget to support golf. Do you want to run that program in the ground too. I give money to AT as well that is undesignated. They already extort money for season tickets for football. I want to see our new AD and how he handles paying off and negotiating contracts in football and basketball. That albatross just doesn't seem to go away. That would be money that could be spent on FB and BB. We have had some really dumb AD's. Asking to pony up more money to basically pay off Hewitt, Gregory, and Gailey (now over) doesn't compute.
I can't swear to this, but I am pretty sure that the golf program has enough external sponsors (donors) to keep it afloat for years to come. So there's no chance of it being run into the ground.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
I've posted it before, but we are still paying two basketball coaches to not be here (Hewitt's number is something like $7million). We also did a $50million dollar renovation to the basketball area about 5 years ago, and $8-9million for the brand new Zelnak Center in the last 10 years. We have money and donors, but we use it for other sports. Our AA/donors see us as a basketball school. The last upgrade we invested in for football was paid for by the Atlanta soccer team. Before that the indoor facility which cost $7million (1 Paul Hewitt if you use the metric system).

As far as the AT fund goes, I definitely think they need to make it easier. Use Venmo or something for small $10-$20 donations. It's easier than what they have set up now.

The combined basketball coach outstanding buyout balance is something like $1.3M. The $7M would have been the total owed when Hewitt was dismissed. The combined annual payment is about a $1M or so. Gregory's will be paid off in March and Hewitt's the March after that. It'll be nice when they are paid off, but it won't be a game changer considering that the AA ran a deficit of about $2M in 2016 and I doubt 2017 was much better.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The combined basketball coach outstanding buyout balance is something like $1.3M. The $7M would have been the total owed when Hewitt was dismissed. The combined annual payment is about a $1M or so. Gregory's will be paid off in March and Hewitt's the March after that. It'll be nice when they are paid off, but it won't be a game changer considering that the AA ran a deficit of about $2M in 2016 and I doubt 2017 was much better.

Correct. Gregory is done in march. Hewitt is only owed around 1 million. Gailey is done with. Over half the new basketball arena is paid for. The practice facility is paid off. So is the indoor football field.

We are still paying off bds at a super low long term loan.

The gtaa brings in double the revenue than it did 10 years ago. By design its made to break even. It will always break even. If u have it. Use it. Thats why all the facilities upgrades past 10 years (softball. Bball twice. Football practice. Etc)

When gtaa startes reporting massive surpluses its either somehow we are booming like a sec school. Or all debts are zero. All sa scholarships endowed. Etc. not gonna happen

I am still waiting on our AD to get off his arse and post the extra football support positions. Paul has been asking now for over 2 years. His frustration is coming out on radio shows.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I am still waiting on our AD to get off his arse and post the extra football support positions. Paul has been asking now for over 2 years. His frustration is coming out on radio shows.

While we certainly need more support folks, the bigger problem is Johnson's Navy buddies who are drawing assistant coaching salaries. We have 6 commits rated 5.6 or above on Rivals. Andy McCollum recruited 5 of them and Pelton one. Recruiters can recruit. What do Sewak, Preston, et al do?

By complaining about support, it appears that Johnson is deflecting attention away from his failures and his stubborness---which is something he does.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Clemson, with roughly the same enrollment and graduate numbers as our Alma Mater, just reported that IPTAY raised over $60 MILLION in 2017 to boost their athletes. We have a looooong way to go ! In our 2016-2017 fiscal year the AT fund raised $19 MILLION. We need to put our money where our mouths are ..........

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Clemson has a bigger fanbase. They are outside a major metro area that cares about sports. We are in Atlanta, possibly the worst sports city on the East Coast. It is never going to be a fair comparison to look at Clemson.
I wish the Falcons would never have come to Atlanta, if Atlanta never would have got the Falcons I believe GT would have stayed a year in and year out player in the national college football scene.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
Clemson has a bigger fanbase. They are outside a major metro area that cares about sports. We are in Atlanta, possibly the worst sports city on the East Coast. It is never going to be a fair comparison to look at Clemson.
And yet we still have to play them.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
2017/18 will be better. We had UT and UG on the schedule.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
3 times as big a fundraising effort ?? 1 out of 6 Tech grads is a millionaire ! Sure they have a bigger fanbase. Did they ALWAYS have a bigger fanbase ? Or is it a result of their success first with fundraising ( IPTAY started in 1934 - with I Pay Ten $ a Year ) and then athletic success ? You attract an increased fanbase with consistently successful teams. They are going on 6 YEARS of CONSISTENT football success ( 10+ wins ) . We have not approached that consistency.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I can only give anecdotal evidence, but I have family from SC and I would wager they have always had a bigger fanbase. The entire state is half USC, half Clemson and you see Clemson stuff everywhere. On the other hand I can go days without seeing a single piece of GT gear when I'm back in Georgia sometimes. The old CEO of Equifax was (is?) a massive booster for them as well.

jacobchbe

Jolly Good Fellow
I can only give anecdotal evidence, but I have family from SC and I would wager they have always had a bigger fanbase. The entire state is half USC, half Clemson and you see Clemson stuff everywhere. On the other hand I can go days without seeing a single piece of GT gear when I'm back in Georgia sometimes. The old CEO of Equifax was (is?) a massive booster for them as well.

I see a lot of GT gear whenever I visit my parents in Cobb.

Status
Not open for further replies.