Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
It also seems our offense put the defense in a pickle more than necessary...ie going on 4th down being needlessly agressive vs. trying a pooch kick and establishing poor field position giving our D an advantage vs in a hole. CPJ addressed that with our current punter, but we also are on desperate need of an exceptional place kicker (which does not require 5star ratings) to keep that possession advantage yet guarantee points...it's a classic plan
PS we need to treat special teams special vs an afterthought...

Yomanser already did, but everyone just ignored it. Roof is a good DC and an excellent recruiter. He has the chance to turn this D around, but we need to give him the time and resources to do it. Otherwise, we're just going to be disappointed with the next guy when he fails for the same reasons.
I don't think he is a good DC, and the jury is still out on his recruiting. It looks good, but he's had 4 years, and we are just now showing improvement? That's not bringing anything to the table in my book. And when I asked the question, I meant what particular skill set as DC he offers us? Recruiting can be a part of it, but I haven't seen anything in his schemes that would lead me to believe any other DC couldn't do just a good a job. I just see nothing at all unique about Ted Roof.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
I just wish somebody would tell me what exactly Ted Roof brings to the table, because I sure can't see it.

well for starters.... he loves the school and bleeds gold unlike groh etal. he understands what gt tries to be about. i for one would be saddened if he was fired or left ... DESERVED OR NOT.

imo we are being too impatient in this situation. we changed d strategy from the previous d coach putting us even FURTHER behind in where we need to be personnel wise. our recruiting is at the bottom of the ACC when you include the number of support personnel we have compared to the top tiered cu, vt, fsu, um. 4 vs 30 is gonna lose every time.

now as far as x's and o's i defer to many who are more knowledgeable. as far as his relationship to his players i also defer to people on the inside such as womanizer er i mean yomanser. heh (sorry i couldnt help myself doh).

id rather get rid of a perennial thorn in the staff's side mike sewak and upgrade our special teams coaching first. roof has been pretty successful where ever he went. he had minnesota as no 2 in big defensively his first year. auburn won a national championship. looks to me like he can get the job down with proper players....

4 vs 30 is gonna lose every time.

id also love to see him become head of recruiting in a side move but i dont think that will ever happen. imo

well for starters.... he loves the school and bleeds gold unlike groh etal. he understands what gt tries to be about. i for one would be saddened if he was fired or left ... DESERVED OR NOT.

imo we are being too impatient in this situation. we changed d strategy from the previous d coach putting us even FURTHER behind in where we need to be personnel wise. our recruiting is at the bottom of the ACC when you include the number of support personnel we have compared to the top tiered cu, vt, fsu, um. 4 vs 30 is gonna lose every time.

now as far as x's and o's i defer to many who are more knowledgeable. as far as his relationship to his players i also defer to people on the inside such as womanizer er i mean yomanser. heh (sorry i couldnt help myself doh).

id rather get rid of a perennial thorn in the staff's side mike sewak and upgrade our special teams coaching first. roof has been pretty successful where ever he went. he had minnesota as no 2 in big defensively his first year. auburn won a national championship. looks to me like he can get the job down with proper players....

4 vs 30 is gonna lose every time.

id also love to see him become head of recruiting in a side move but i dont think that will ever happen. imo
Being a Tech man and loving the school is not a quality that builds a good defense; hence it brings nothing to the table. I DO agree about Sewak and special teams, but I don't think there's a chance that CPJ will get rid of long-time friend Sewak. He DOES need to hire a ST coach, assuming money is now available. As far as Roof's success at other schools; that success came with talent already there. And, as I have said before, Auburn fans hated him.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It looks good, but he's had 4 years, and we are just now showing improvement

We don't often get impact recruits on D. AJ Grays are rare. We also rarely get them on O, but people tend to understand that CPJ develops his players. Over the last 4 years, we've seen our talent level increase on D. We are watching a bigger, faster unit make improvements in areas that, up until this year, we deemed critical. Third down D was critical until we became good at it. Now we've moved the goal posts from the D needing to keep us in the game for the O to win vs needing to win a game by themselves. So yes, we are watching CTRs first senior class, and they have steadily improved, which gives me hope for the future.

I don't like saying this, but I just have very little hope for the future of the D after the Duke game. It was back to the same ole same ole, and I venture to say it will go back to that again next year at times when we most need consistency.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Player relationship is probably on par with most coaches. Some guys like brant are bffs other like swilling are already grumbling.

His recruiting has not done much. 5 years is a long darn time folks. We can say we have no support staff. But its 3x than under chan. 3x than groh or wommack had (all facts) and talent is not better. May be worse. We had more talent before ted than today imo.

Roof has two fakenews narratives i hear about him. He has aggressive ds. Nope. He is a great recruiter. Really. I still dont see it. But eh.

3-4 or 4-3 backend is basically the same so are 5 of the 7 front 7 positions. That is a silly excuse imo. Changing defenses takes 1 Year from a 3-4 to a 4-3. Going from 4-3 to a 3-4 is way harder and could take 3 years. Due to the needs up front.

He is avg at best x and os. His track record at multiple schools over multiple years produced eerily similar results. Near bottom in 3rd down. Always struggles to get pressure tfl and sacks. His scheme is designed with these flaws. Bad def eff ratings or fei.

This is the first year he got far more multiple. And it helped. But had a tendancy to do roof things in 2 min d. And we see what happened. In fact this year i, for the first time, like alot of his calls and gameplans. Shocking. My issue is, I dont think he can keep it up. And 2 min is a joke.

For me. Its time to get more support staff. Clean d house. Clean some o house. Hire new asst and build back up.

But. I am biased. Because i do think roof by in large is massively overpaid for his talent and coaching. So as a result i still tend to not support him.

So is your argument that the D hasn't improved at all? Do you think that having the smallest recruiting staff in the ACC doesn't hamper our efforts?
Staffing and funding are OBVIOUS detriments to our success across the board. But improvement in a few games, only to see him resort to his soft, bend-don't-break ways again, gives me very little optimism. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I feel. I didn't want him when we hired him, and IMO my reasons have been justified.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Being a Tech man and loving the school is not a quality that builds a good defense; hence it brings nothing to the table. I DO agree about Sewak and special teams, but I don't think there's a chance that CPJ will get rid of long-time friend Sewak. He DOES need to hire a ST coach, assuming money is now available.

I would respectfully disagree with hiring a ST coach. Position coaches can coach special teams; Virginia Tech with all their special teams luster didn't/doesn't have a dedicated ST coach.

I don't ever do this ... but I will this once because the frustration is boiling over ... I would prefer that we change out some position coaches, guys who can coach their position AND special teams. Our kickoff coverage was absolutely abysmal this year, possibly the worst ever. We didn't have a single game where we didn't have multiple busts. The coach responsible for that unit also had some problems with his position group, despite having some talented players there. Let's just say I wouldn't give him a 10-yard cushion when it came to defending his job.

Bottom line - and I've said this already: IF we change DC's, we need to give the new guy the leeway to hire the guys he wants.

I would respectfully disagree with hiring a ST coach. Position coaches can coach special teams; Virginia Tech with all their special teams luster didn't/doesn't have a dedicated ST coach.

I don't ever do this ... but I will this once because the frustration is boiling over ... I would prefer that we change out some position coaches, guys who can coach their position AND special teams. Our kickoff coverage was absolutely abysmal this year, possibly the worst ever. We didn't have a single game where we didn't have multiple busts. The coach responsible for that unit also had some problems with his position group, despite having some talented players there. Let's just say I wouldn't give him a 10-yard cushion when it came to defending his job.

Bottom line - and I've said this already: IF we change DC's, we need to give the new guy the leeway to hire the guys he wants.
I don't know who was coaching ST's, but the tackling there was as bad, if not worse, than on D, so it must have been one of the D assistants. I agree 100% about a new DC having leeway to hire guys he wants.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know who was coaching ST's, but the tackling there was as bad, if not worse, than on D, so it must have been one of the D assistants. I agree 100% about a new DC having leeway to hire guys he wants.

Each position coach has a group.

I can't remember who has what, other than Sewak has XP/FG and Speed has Kickoff coverage. Don't remember who has kickoff returns, punt coverage, or punt returns.

Each position coach has a group.

I can't remember who has what, other than Sewak has XP/FG and Speed has Kickoff coverage. Don't remember who has kickoff returns, punt coverage, or punt returns.
Kickoff and put return coverage sucked, and kickoff and punt return wasn't any better. Why on KO return do our returners never have blockers, and why do the seem always to run straight towards the defenders coming to them? Several times, I didn't understand why the returner didn't head towards the sideline, but no, he just ran right into a wall of defenders.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm pretty sure PJ was asking the same thing ... he said repeatedly on the radio show, postgame presser, and weekly presser that special teams has been a disaster.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Special teams were a disaster this year but have been average the past couple of years. We replaced a punter and maybe the best kicker who's ever worn a Georgia Tech jersey. I don't know if we need to overhaul the whole system, or more importantly act like it's some major black mark on Paul Johnson's resume. If we add a special teams coach with our extra coaching spot that's great since we have to keep up with everyone else, but I think if we find a kicker we'll be ok again next year.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Special teams were a disaster this year but have been average the past couple of years. We replaced a punter and maybe the best kicker who's ever worn a Georgia Tech jersey. I don't know if we need to overhaul the whole system, or more importantly act like it's some major black mark on Paul Johnson's resume. If we add a special teams coach with our extra coaching spot that's great since we have to keep up with everyone else, but I think if we find a kicker we'll be ok again next year.

Really it's the coverage & return teams that need the most work. Our scholarship kicker started off the year recovering from a groin injury, which is huge for kickers, and should be vastly improved next year. Our punter may end up being one of the best to ever play at GT. The coverage and return teams were abysmal this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.