Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think we can fault CPJ for not firing Roof and/or hiring bad DC's because he's been hamstrung by our tiny budget since day 1. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we get Roof because some of our boosters wanted a "tech man" and they were only willing to pony up the dough if it was Roof?

I think we need to focus less on CHANGING coaches and more on ADDING coaches. We need a bigger budget. I would hypothesize that if you normalized our number of wins by the amount of dollars in our budget, we would be among the best in the country in wins per dollar spent.

Look where our budget ranks in the ACC. Close to the bottom. *Private schools are excluded from the list because they were not required to divulge their financials.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Last edited:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I get it that the D had bad field position against UVA but imo they had a major part in the loss along with the special teams. They gave up 3 long TD plays. I'm probably in between you and some of the others you're arguing with in my beliefs in who's fault the losses were.

One of those three plays was right after the offense turned it over on our own 30.

Jmonty71

Banned
We could lose on a 2-0 on a safety and you'd still blame Roof. I fault CTR and the D when it's their fault. The UVA game isn't their fault.
If we could keep any team to single digits, I would the very...very...very happy. It seems the only decent team we can beat anymore is VT. The D took its share of fault in the UVA game. Giving up last minute points, is on them. It's ridiculous to expect the O to score on every drive. Whether it be scheme, talent, depth or lack of execution, the D failed to hold onto late leads in 4 games. I think the D pulled us through one game.. One game out of 11... To me, that is an issue

Looking at next year, I expect the O to be better. I expect the ST to be better. I expect a decline in the D. Roof had a veteran team and still could not get it done. Now he lost his seniors, you honestly expect the D to get better?

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Purely out of curiosity, does anyone know the story behind Roof's hire?

I don't think PJ went out and said, "Hey, I want Ted Roof". I seem to recall hearing a story along the lines of Roof wanting to "come home" from Penn State and some alumni donors made it happen money-wise. Roof's salary starting salary was pretty high, maybe double what Wommack was making? That kind of money doesn't magically appear out of nowhere.

Just curious.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
If we could keep any team to single digits, I would the very...very...very happy. It seems the only decent team we can beat anymore is VT. The D took its share of fault in the UVA game. Giving up last minute points, is on them. It's ridiculous to expect the O to score on every drive. Whether it be scheme, talent, depth or lack of execution, the D failed to hold onto late leads in 4 games. I think the D pulled us through one game.. One game out of 11... To me, that is an issue

Looking at next year, I expect the O to be better. I expect the ST to be better. I expect a decline in the D. Roof had a veteran team and still could not get it done. Now he lost his seniors, you honestly expect the D to get better?
I would love to believe that we will be better on O next year. I USED to think that with a year experience and "coaching up" and solid 3* recruits, we would make a noticeable jump in being better. This was especially true/hopeful for the OL because it makes or breaks this offense. For a variety of reasons : injuries, dropping out, poor/ no coaching up, too many "projects" at OL, I no longer expect that. Our skilled positions MAY be better, but unless the OL is drastically improved, we will never know.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Is there a reason you have to play football to know anything about football ? And yes our passing game sucked this year. Do you know what the difference was this year and last year ? Hint this year we only completed 10 passes to the A-backs . Why ? I have no idea other than looking it seems TM does not check down, but not knowing what plays were called all I can say is that is the way it looked to me. But then I'm 65 and fall in the age group you talk about. Was I happy with 5 wins no. I have been a season ticket holder for 36 years and the first one we were 1-10. I know you get sick of hearing this from us old guys but we are the ones who have seen some really bad years. Oh and by the way I played football but I guess being this old it don't count for you.
We are all Tech people and NO ONE WAS HAPPY THIS YEAR but that is no reason to be rude to another Tech guy.

CPJ never played college ball did he? Oohhhh crap.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck

Well I hate to say this but seniors aren’t everything. [emoji53]
Two of them are only 5’9” (one has a glass jaw haha[emoji43]). One senior leader DE managed zero sacks.

Coming back we have the only guy to score a Defensive Touchdown this year (BJS) and the freshman who made the game-saving play against VT.
Geez I just realized only got 6 measly INTs this season, and one was by a D-Lineman Antwan Owens. Smh [emoji20]. Considering this year’s Defense managed the fewest takeaways since 1997 (which I unpopularly attribute to extraordinary bad luck) how could they do any worse?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If we could keep any team to single digits, I would the very...very...very happy.

Who wouldn't? Not even Bama kept teams to an average of single digits... If this is your baseline, no coach will ever make you happy.

It seems the only decent team we can beat anymore is VT.

FSU says hello. uga say hello.

The D took its share of fault in the UVA game. Giving up last minute points, is on them.

So no credit for stopping them on 11/18 drives and continuously dealing with poor field position?

It's ridiculous to expect the O to score on every drive.

Agreed, but in the UVA game, they scored on 4 of 17 drives. 9 of those 17 drives used very little time, gained very few yards, and ended up with a punt or TO. The O was absolutely putrid for most of the game.

Whether it be scheme, talent, depth or lack of execution, the D failed to hold onto late leads in 4 games.

Only one of those three things is a coaching problem.

I think the D pulled us through one game.. One game out of 11... To me, that is an issue

This is an interesting statement. If you expect the D to be pulling us through games, then you expect our O to be deficient. I expect our D to keep us in position for the O to win games, and if our O had done their jobs this year, we'd be 8-3 or 9-2 right now.

Looking at next year, I expect the O to be better.

So do I.

I expect the ST to be better.

It can't get worse

I expect a decline in the D. Roof had a veteran team and still could not get it done. Now he lost his seniors, you honestly expect the D to get better?

Yes. I think that we are in a position to make strides on D. The hero of the VT game is the CB who will replace Durham. L. Simmons, who will replace Austin, already has lots of PT and experience. I would not be surprised to see us play more 4-3 instead of 4-2-5 because I think we'll see BJS and Mitchell both get on the field at the same time. I wouldn't be shocked if you see BJS play some situational DE. Tre Swilling will start to see the field. I think the DL will continue to improve as well. Initially, we might see some dropoff, but it won't be huge, and by the end of the season, we should see some improvement over this season.

Now, I know you are anti-CTR and have camped out on this position for the past two years, but you also told me last year that we would be equally bad or worse as a defensive unit in 2017 than 2016. I'm just saying to look at things without the bias. We aren't good, and CTR has his faults, but trotting out arguments like "out-dated," "has been," etc. as proof of your points overlooks the fact that CTR runs schemes similar to lots of other successful coaches. He has been successful in some places, not so successful in others. I don't think the problem is coaching, but rather personnel and execution. Eventually, we'll have to hold him accountable, but I don't think firing a guy trending in the right direction is the right answer.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
FYI, TK Chimedza (currently committed 4-star defensive tackle) is entirely a Roof product. We wouldn't have him committed without Roof in the picture. This also applies to the Swillings, one of which was an Army All-American and consensus 4-star. They also committed because of Roof. Along with them, Jaquan Henderson was a 4-star who whose main recruiter was Roof. Beyond those, TD Roof, Xavier Gantt, and currently committed Malachi Carter are all high-ceiling highly-regarded Roof recruits that I can name off the top of my head. He's also had us in the discussion with several high-profile recruits that Tech didn't end up landing, but wouln't have had a shot at without him. We're only now starting to see the benefits Roof is providing us in recruiting

1. I don’t think CPJ is going to change a thing. Not even that sucker Sewak. CPJ will do nothing to give any impression he is not an O genius. Be it develop more of a passing game, or admit Sewak is trash. The team be damned.

2. What Coach, in this case a good DC, is coming here now knowing the HC has screwed up 4 DC hires and is himself on the diving board above a boiling pot of water?

3. Would rather fire CPJ, and let CTR be the HC, IF IF IF IF TStan / Peterson gave him the resources to hire Really good OC and DC and asst coaches. Let CTR be the leader, motivator, spokesman and lead recruiter for the program. No more IIWII crap. (Ever hear of a guy named Dabo?)

4. No way I could care any less about how many guys we put in the NFL. I know it is a great thing just to make a team even if for one year. You are elite. But talk about a crapshoot. Look at the starting lineups every Sunday. See where a lot of these guys came from. They aren’t all from bama. Many developed late, just like from h.s. to college.

I do want to see our guys graduate. Who the hell does not? I do, however, see Nothing wrong with signing some guys that might take 5 to 6 years to graduate instead of lesser S/As that graduate from GT (while playing football!) in 3 years.

JMO

Happy Holidays.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
I want to know for the last time , who has made a career in the NFL playing Offense from the Johnson era. Don't give Bay Bay neither. He would have never played at tech if Johnson was hired in 2006.
What is an NFL career? From SI.com:

Offensive linemen have the longest careers of all players as they average playing time for approximately three years and eight months. Wide receivers have the shortest careers with an average of 2 years and 2.5 months.

Johnson's players get to the NFL at about the same rate as Gailey's or O'Leary's did.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
1. I don’t think CPJ is going to change a thing. Not even that sucker Sewak. CPJ will do nothing to give any impression he is not an O genius. Be it develop more of a passing game, or admit Sewak is trash. The team be damned.

2. What Coach, in this case a good DC, is coming here now knowing the HC has screwed up 4 DC hires and is himself on the diving board above a boiling pot of water?

3. Would rather fire CPJ, and let CTR be the HC, IF IF IF IF TStan / Peterson gave him the resources to hire Really good OC and DC and asst coaches. Let CTR be the leader, motivator, spokesman and lead recruiter for the program. No more IIWII crap. (Ever hear of a guy named Dabo?)

4. No way I could care any less about how many guys we put in the NFL. I know it is a great thing just to make a team even if for one year. You are elite. But talk about a crapshoot. Look at the starting lineups every Sunday. See where a lot of these guys came from. They aren’t all from bama. Many developed late, just like from h.s. to college.

I do want to see our guys graduate. Who the hell does not? I do, however, see Nothing wrong with signing some guys that might take 5 to 6 years to graduate instead of lesser S/As that graduate from GT (while playing football!) in 3 years.

JMO

Happy Holidays.

1. I don't think we'll see much change, but I think a few coaches will be let go after the signing day in Dec.
2. CPJ has only hired 3 DCs, not 4. Kelly was only the interim between Groh and CTR.
3. Not opposed to this either, but I think your caveat in this position would help make CPJ a more consistently good coach as well.
4. Agreed

"I do want to see our guys graduate. Who the hell does not? I do, however, see Nothing wrong with signing some guys that might take 5 to 6 years to graduate instead of lesser S/As that graduate from GT (while playing football!) in 3 years."

APR would have an issue with 6 year graduation rates. Not sure we aren't generally recruiting guys into the 5 year plan. The 3 year guys are news because they are the exception.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
It also should be noted that Roof was not his first choice. For all we know he is actually the best choice we had given our terrible AD if the others were a sack of potatoes. I may be completely mis-remembering this but Manny Diaz was the guy he wanted. You might know that name as the DC at Miami who's on lots of hot lists for HC jobs. Charles Kelly was also offered the job but FSU had more $$$.

If you give Jimmy Johnson a Civic and ask why he can't win a race, you don't fire your driver and keep the Civic you get a car that can compete with everyone else.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I just wish somebody would tell me what exactly Ted Roof brings to the table, because I sure can't see it.

Yomanser already did, but everyone just ignored it. Roof is a good DC and an excellent recruiter. He has the chance to turn this D around, but we need to give him the time and resources to do it. Otherwise, we're just going to be disappointed with the next guy when he fails for the same reasons.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
It can when you're seeing improvement in spite of the fact that we don't properly fund our program.
It also seems our offense put the defense in a pickle more than necessary...ie going on 4th down being needlessly agressive vs. trying a pooch kick and establishing poor field position giving our D an advantage vs in a hole. CPJ addressed that with our current punter, but we also are on desperate need of an exceptional place kicker (which does not require 5star ratings) to keep that possession advantage yet guarantee points...it's a classic plan

Status
Not open for further replies.