Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Because he also recruited those 5-star guys to Alabama. Just because it's Alabama doesn't mean those kids fall into your lap - you still have to recruit them, and more importantly, develop them to win championships. This guy has done that.

And I'm going to ignore your last comment, because to me it essentially sounds like you would rather pull a coach from BC than Bama, which is just as silly as it sounds.

So are coaches at bama automatically and certainly better coaches than any coach at BC?

That notion seems pretty preposterous.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
So are coaches at bama automatically and certainly better coaches than any coach at BC?

That notion seems pretty preposterous.
Probably not on every single level, but as a whole, I think it's pretty safe to say the answer is yes. That can be proven out by number of wins, conference championships, and national championships. Sure, the players are a huge part of that, but the coaches are instrumental in getting them there. Recruiting is part of the job, and a big one.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The Auburn fans I know personally hated him as DC at Auburn. I imagine they are not alone.

Are the fans there any more football knowledgeable than our own fan base?

Roof was castigated at Aubie. True. He also drew up a good game plan against a hellacious Oregon offense, which his players executed pretty well, and got next to zero credit for it.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Probably not on every single level, but as a whole, I think it's pretty safe to say the answer is yes. That can be proven out by number of wins, conference championships, and national championships. Sure, the players are a huge part of that, but the coaches are instrumental in getting them there. Recruiting is part of the job, and a big one.

Recruiting to BC and bama is apples and oranges but we've talked that issue into the ground.

I just very much disagree with the assertion. Bama likely does not hire obvious incompetents but it's silly to say a coach at bama is better than a coach at bc...because bama.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I disagree 100 percent with this. To many good coaches like the D coordinator that was at BC to say this. He's actually at Michigan now. I don't think you are putting enough emphasis on having the top players in the country.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
I disagree 100 percent with this. To many good coaches like the D coordinator that was at BC to say this. He's actually at Michigan now. I don't think you are putting enough emphasis on having the top players in the country.
A bolded 'huge' isn't enough emphasis? Of course players make a big difference - my point is that some coaches are getting these 5* kids in, coaching them up, and delivering championships, and others aren't. I view that as one staff being superior to others. Certainly there are exceptions, but overall, I think this to be true.

Let me ask it this way: if Addazio and Saban traded places, would the results at both schools be the same? What about Jim Reid and Pruitt? Loeffler and Daboll? My answer to all three would be unequivocally no.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
A bolded 'huge' isn't enough emphasis? Of course players make a big difference - my point is that some coaches are getting these 5* kids in, coaching them up, and delivering championships, and others aren't. I view that as one staff being superior to others. Certainly there are exceptions, but overall, I think this to be true.

Let me ask it this way: if Addazio and Saban traded places, would the results at both schools be the same? What about Jim Reid and Pruitt? Loeffler and Daboll? My answer to all three would be unequivocally no.
I think there are coaches out there that could go to Bama and win a championship. Do you think Saban could go to a lesser school that has limitations and could win a national championship with a bunch of 3 stars? If you put Saban at GT and CPJ at Bama I still don't think we would win a national championship until things change with the resources. I do think CPJ could win a national championship with the players Bama has though.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I'm beginning nobody is leaving and they are going to add more staff.
This is what I think they will add to the staff , if anyone is going it will be after signing day and before spring practice . Too many teams ( Neb , UCLA, Miss State, Fla, FSU ,Texas A&M will be replacing coaching staffs may need to wait after the dust is gone )

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
I think there are coaches out there that could go to Bama and win a championship. Do you think Saban could go to a lesser school that has limitations and could win a national championship with a bunch of 3 stars? If you put Saban at GT and CPJ at Bama I still don't think we would win a national championship until things change with the resources. I do think CPJ could win a national championship with the players Bama has though.
I have no doubt that CPJ could win with Bama's players - the question is could he and his staff continue to get those players at a school like Bama where there are limited restrictions. My guess would be no.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I have no doubt that CPJ could win with Bama's players - the question is could he and his staff continue to get those players at a school like Bama where there are limited restrictions. My guess would be no.
Probably not, but there are definitely guys at other schools that are not factories that I think could win a national championship at a factory school.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

If he went to bama...and won a natty there...u can bet your sweet *** he'd keep the 4n5 stars rolling in.

And his offense would become the new darling of the media rather than the pariah high school offense the media once tried to characterize it as (well the Atlanta radio talking morons still do characterize it this way but it's not done as much nationally anymore).

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the debate over who should be fired and who shouldn't is a little premature. I think we all want to win but the parameters of "winning" are not static. Is Tech a winner b/c of who/what it is as an institution ? or Is it a winner b/c of it's sport programs ? Are they two different things or does the lack of one take from the other ? I imagine it's all in our individual perspectives.

Admittedly I am not a graduate of Tech, I doubt I could ever get into the school. Given that my perspective is totally as a lifelong sports fan. My perspective is from being a football nut, a TECHNUT ! So it is from that perspective I believe this; Sports is played with the goal of winning- who is playing doesn't matter. If you are a high school playing the Falcons you should play to win. The entire Tech team and staff want to win, they want to compete. Our coaches don't coach to lose I think THEY coach wanting to win ! Given that the question IS this.

What prevents overall consistency in winning seasons ?

Overall talent level ?
Coaching ?
School commitment ?

My opinion is that the school itself (admin) isn't concerned with winning percentage as a goal, Sports at Tech isn't an identity it's a way to provide a rounded student at graduation, if that's the schools desire then the sports programs are a rousing success.

If we are judging by purely sports based priorities/criteria then in my opinion we should evaluate with emotions under control and use fact based sports analysis.

There are some basic conditions to winning and the most basic is that you score more than they do, obviously you can do that with your offense or your goal can be to do it with defense. CPJ has said this several times. A winning mindset probably shouldn't begin with the approach that if they score 40 and we score 41 it's all good. If CPJ is serious when he says tis then it's a problem. The goal should be that they don't score at all and it should piss any competitor off when there is any score at all. Every score against us should be a disappointment and in that mindset it's unacceptable to have the belief that our offense should have to score 43 pts to win.

The defensive game plan/philosophy has produced the following points against us-38, 43, 28 and 40 in the last 4 games and keep in mind the highest scores were posted by Virginia and Duke. Purely speaking, as sports fans this should be unacceptable and it should anger all of us, players and fans ! Regardless of fault is this what we as fans, coaches or players think is acceptable or good ? I dare say that any football player has a drive that often displays itself in a mad max kind of blood gets me going drive. A IM NOT GIVING AN INCH craziness.

I have had the pleasure of meeting Ted Roof and I dare say I doubt there is a nicer guy in the game but is that the criteria we are using to apply to football ? If we accept these results then what's the point of expectations ?

I am not pro or con CPJ or Roof . I am pro Tech and I am pro winning in whatever I do . Yes losing is part of life and we all do it but I dare say I don't think we can accept the results of the basic math and at the same time consider ourselves to be living with high sports expectations as they are applied to football. Football is controlled craziness and just because our players are at Tech doesn't mean that they cant play mean !

Techs lowest point production came against two teams which have been ranked or are ranked #1 this year and by a sports mentality if you score 7 and 10 you should expect to lose but there were 9 other games which we scored 20 or more pts, we lost 4 of them- in 2 of the losses we scored 38 and 41 pts. 5-4 when scoring over 20 ! 2-2 when scoring over 35 !

Regardless if you are Pro or con on the option offense we should be able to agree that we cannot give up these point totals and win. Serious, is there any offense that can overcome some of the point totals that have been posted on us ? I do not believe it's a lack of talent therefore I AM FORCED TO BELIEVE it's the defensive mindset and scheme. ?

Ask yourself privately (you can say it out loud if you wish), Were you confident Ga wouldn't score before the half or were you hoping they wouldn't ? remember there were what 34 seconds left .

With all that said this is CPJs team if you want him fired it should still be unacceptable that our defensive mind set is to play not to lose, (bend don't break) rather than to seek and destroy (figuratively of course). I think its an insult to tell our players that they weren't/aren't as good as the competition when if allowed they definitely can be just as mean !

in the end we are talking about football aren't we ?

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
And I'm going to ignore your last comment, because to me it essentially sounds like you would rather pull a coach from BC than Bama, which is just as silly as it sounds.

Uh, that really isn't a good example - Don Brown, the current defensive coordinator at Michigan was at BC before Michigan. And he's done a really good job at Michigan.

Who knows, the flip side of your statement could be true, too. This guy might come to GT and say, "What are my recruiting strengths here? Education? That's it? Forty year plan? What? I can't offer NFL dreams, small college town party atmosphere, minimal school work, and dumb co-eds? HOW DO YOU EXPECT ME TO RECRUIT?"

okiemon

Helluva Engineer

I understand what you are proposing is hypothetical, but if it were to happen, I believe that Saban would dramatically improve the recruiting at Ga Tech, and CPJ would in time have Bama going to lower-tier bowl games.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I understand what you are proposing is hypothetical, but if it were to happen, I believe that Saban would dramatically improve the recruiting at Ga Tech, and CPJ would in time have Bama going to lower-tier bowl games.

I've always believed this: Give CPJ equal talent to Saban, and CPJ would lap Saban.

Unfortunately, that's not how the world works. There will never be an even playing field for coaches.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

I will have to respectfully disagree. If CPJ can win 11 games at GT, he can do it at Bama. Even if the recruiting went down at Bama with CPJ there it still wouldn't be at the level it is at GT right now because he would have a way bigger staff, easier academics, more money ect. He could pull in a top 30 class and be a consistent contender imo.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I will have to respectfully disagree. If CPJ can win 11 games at GT, he can do it at Bama. Even if the recruiting went down at Bama with CPJ there it still wouldn't be at the level it is at GT right now because he would have a way bigger staff, easier academics, more money ect. He could pull in a top 30 class and be a consistent contender imo.

I think a top 30 class for CPJ at Bama sounds reasonable. So does a top 30, maybe better, for Saban at Tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.