Richt's gone

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don't think Smart will be as successful as Richt...he may do good though. That ESPN article had an interesting info bar...Richt is the modern day Tom Osborn. He may well end up winning his Natty at duh U.....ironically funny if he did but still not good for us.

I was hoping like hell he'd take a year off and go elsewhere next year. A good coach we will have to continue to face. Damnit.

JKMSJ

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm glad they hired Richt..as much as I hate UGA, Richt is a class act and I hope he shapes that program and fan base up because they are pretty damn trashy now.
He wasn't very successful shaping up the UGA fan base in 15 years so I wouldn't expect much different in Miami. I don't understand how so many people think Richt will be a bad fit in Miami. The Miami fan base and players are very similar to the UGA fan base and players. Don't get me wrong I think Richt is a good guy but it's not like he is not used to dealing with multiple player arrest and some of the most truly horrible fans in all of college football. I think it will be a great fit.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Will make beating Miami that much harder now. Really surprised he took such that job. Could've seen him at Maryland over Miami.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
I'm not too surprised he took the Miami job. He's a former Miami player. The school is in a recruiting hotbed and still brings in a lot of talent off name alone. And let's face it, the ACC Coastal would be easier to win right now than the Big 10 East where Maryland is. They have to go against Ohio State, Michigan State, and a resurging Michigan, not to mention being located in a basketball/pro football market. I have a lot of family from Maryland and I'm pretty sure when it comes to college football, they're not even the most popular college team in their state. It's Penn State. Unless the UnderArmour guy really shelled out for Richt I couldn't see him taking that job.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I thought this would happen. This is terrible news. Why can't we just be rid of this guy.

Those that think they won't have the same recruiting prowess are crazy. Miami stockpiles talent. Don't be surprised if those guys take over in the next few years.

UltimateBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
I live just north of Fort Lauderdale & according to the local sport radio stations, UM players, former players, recruits, fans, & the even the hosts themselves, are thrilled about Richt. Many callers said they felt UGA made a big mistake letting him go & are excited that UM is the beneficiary of their mistake. The talk show hosts were saying they were talking to their contacts in GA who said many UGA fans were upset he was let go & they felt that his firing was unjustified. One caller I heard said that he lived in Atlanta from 2005 to 2010 & that the UGA fan base was delusional about what they expected Richt to accomplish. Unfortunately UM fans are just as delusional, & extremely impatient. Hope for his sake they give him more time than they gave Golden before they starting flying the banner planes over their games.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm scared. I think Richt will make Miami good. But also consider that Miami isn't Georgia in terms of recruits. The personalities are different, Miami has bad facilities. Richt might not accept thuggery to the extent he needs to get the Miami recruits. That's a big if though- only time will tell. Dalvin Cook is from Miami, and despite the made-up assault, he's not a bad kid by the accounts I've heard.

Time will have to tell. I'm hoping the above it correct, but it's not making me sleep easier.

I don't think Miami recruits at the level of UGA...yet. Miami is a sleeping powerhouse. South Florida is one of the most fertile recruiting territories in all of the nation. The state of Florida is the #1 state for producing NFL talent, and #3 per capita...both higher than the state of GA (http://www.scout.com/story/1404139-draft-stats?s=143). Had Miami not botched the last 2 coaching hires, Miami could still be battling FSU for national titles like they did during the 1990's. It wasn't too long ago that Da U won a national and was pumping out NFL draft picks on par with Alabama.

Richt, for obvious reasons, gets grief from us...but his folksey church going aww shucks way plays well in living rooms. I wouldn't doubt he would be able to get Miami to atleast 9+ wins a season similar to UGA.

Richt said something interesting on his way out of UGA. He said that if he got back into coaching, he wanted to get back to tutoring the QBs and calling plays. I think that was a direct shot at getting #1 QB recruit Jacob Eason to follow him to his next destination. It's not a secret that Eason is a Richt believer, and if he's willing to go all the way to UGA from the state of Washington, why wouldn't he be willing to go to Miami...where the weather is MUCH nicer and the coeds wear half the clothing than their Georgia counterparts? Oh, and Miami is actually a pretty good school as well. Eason is already checking out the Gators.

Will be interesting to see it play out for Richt.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Richt is a son of Miami the fan bases rope will be a lot longer. He'll recruit his behind off and the O will definitely on point. The good ole boy play my guy ethos of UGA will be gone and he will be able to recruit the guy from N Miami or Booker T Washington and not have to deal with a millionaire booster Bubba telling him to play the son of my frat brother.

With the right D coordinator he should thrive.

Jacket0323

Jolly Good Fellow
Richt is a son of Miami the fan bases rope will be a lot longer. He'll recruit his behind off and the O will definitely on point. The good ole boy play my guy ethos of UGA will be gone and he will be able to recruit the guy from N Miami or Booker T Washington and not have to deal with a millionaire booster Bubba telling him to play the son of my frat brother.

With the right D coordinator he should thrive.
He never has to leave Dade. Northwestern, Central, Norland, Carol City, maybe go up 95 to St Thomas and Deerfield Beach. Ga Tech needs to take football seriously now

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
He never has to leave Dade. Northwestern, Central, Norland, Carol City, maybe go up 95 to St Thomas and Deerfield Beach. Ga Tech needs to take football seriously now

Joke follows
What are you saying?

Schools may try to make moves to get better organization or some even dare say they are trying to defenses alignments. We know it is a fools errand to tey to stop the gt TO.
No one is improving - its just missed assignments by the players in every game this year.

Joke ends
Miami is a sleeping giant. When they grow stronger I think fSU will also get stronger just to maintain their position.
Will be interesting to see if pruitt the uga dc follows. I am not that impressed with him.

Miami gardens which near orange bowl is geeat recruiting area.

Jacket0323

Jolly Good Fellow
Joke follows
What are you saying?

Schools may try to make moves to get better organization or some even dare say they are trying to defenses alignments. We know it is a fools errand to tey to stop the gt TO.
No one is improving - its just missed assignments by the players in every game this year.

Joke ends
Miami is a sleeping giant. When they grow stronger I think fSU will also get stronger just to maintain their position.
Will be interesting to see if pruitt the uga dc follows. I am not that impressed with him.

Miami gardens which near orange bowl is geeat recruiting area.

Friends here still wonder why Ga Tech does not have a bigger presence down here

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
Icing on the cake is if Eason doesn't enroll at uGa in January, uGa will get hit with sanctions since they chose to have him go ahead and sign FAA papers, which allowed uGa unlimited contact with him. They would lose 10% of there off campus contact visit days and will not be able to sign or at least count early enrollees for the next two years.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I am glad they hired Smart. I don't think he will be a good coach for them, and I don't think he has proven anything to make me think he will be a great HC. I don't understand why a top coaching job like UGAg would not go after a proven HC. GT got CPJ and he was a proven winner as a HC at Navy. Why does UGAg seem content to throw away the most winning coach in school history for an unproven DC? I hate the mutts, and hope this is a big step backwards for their program.