Returning players for 2021-22

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Absolutely agree and probably want to space these out to give each player a moment.

Pastner said in his PC earlier this week this is what all of them would do. No surprise here at all.
We have 4 guys that are going to get feedback from the NBA and how many come back juts depends upon what they hear and what their personal situations are.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pastner said in his PC earlier this week this is what all of them would do. No surprise here at all.
We have 4 guys that are going to get feedback from the NBA and how many come back juts depends upon what they hear and what their personal situations are.
I understand that playing overseas is less appealing as an option now due to CV-19, but are they able to negotiate with professional teams in Europe, China, etc without losing eligibility?

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I understand that playing overseas is less appealing as an option now due to CV-19, but are they able to negotiate with professional teams in Europe, China, etc without losing eligibility?
I wondered that as well. Say, the day after next season ended could they pack up and go play professionally overseas for the remainder of that teams season?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
My understanding is as long as they don't sign with an agent and don't take money they can go through the coach or other "advisor" and find out about/evaluate/negotiate options to play anywhere including overseas.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I wondered that as well. Say, the day after next season ended could they pack up and go play professionally overseas for the remainder of that teams season?

They don't have to wait for the season to end. Technically, they do not have an employment contract with an NCAA institution and can leave anytime they want.

joehamiltonfan14

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah hard to plan when you have four potential starters declaring but maintaining eligibility...hard to sell a transfer on playing time with this up in the air. Hopefully our guys make a decision sooner rather than later

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Those late dates are going to make it difficult for a lot of college teams, us included
I believe our guys will make a decision a lot earlier and these dates won't affect them. The tricky part is for the guys who are invited to the combine but don't perform well. Will there still be a chair for them at their old school?

If it goes as in the past, only about 70-75 players will be invited to the combine. Some of the top 5-6 guys may opt out of the combine and make space for others. Right now, it is my guess that if any of our three seniors, or Devoe, get a combine invitation they are gone. If they have not decided to return before early June it is probably a moot point. But, since the seniors don't count against our roster limit, they could wait until after the combine if they have not decided by that time.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
I believe our guys will make a decision a lot earlier and these dates won't affect them. The tricky part is for the guys who are invited to the combine but don't perform well. Will there still be a chair for them at their old school?

If it goes as in the past, only about 70-75 players will be invited to the combine. Some of the top 5-6 guys may opt out of the combine and make space for others. Right now, it is my guess that if any of our three seniors, or Devoe, get a combine invitation they are gone. If they have not decided to return before early June it is probably a moot point. But, since the seniors don't count against our roster limit, they could wait until after the combine if they have not decided by that time.
I don't know if any of them would get an invite I'd assume that Moses and Devoe are the most likely to but I don't think that an invite would mean that they are gone. Plenty of players have gone there and that's been what led to them going back to school. For me if they get invited I'd think that 5 on 5 action is what will boost Jose up while testing would be the thing to boost Jordan and maybe Moses the most.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I’ve always joked that Ush had the size and talent to be a hell of a football player for Collins if he wanted to use his extra year doing that.

This got me to thinking. Didn't Karl Brown, perhaps whom only J. Alverado has matched in defensive intensity on the BB court, give FB a try? Am I remembering correctly? Or is it the second cocktail of the evening, mixed to jumbo proportions, blurring my memory? But ever since Bunky Henry joined us from the golf team and D. Smelter switched from baseball, I am all onboard with two sport athletes.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I’ve always joked that Ush had the size and talent to be a hell of a football player for Collins if he wanted to use his extra year doing that.

Jimmy Graham is the one who immediately comes to mind that did that to great success.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This got me to thinking. Didn't Karl Brown, perhaps whom only J. Alverado has matched in defensive intensity on the BB court, give FB a try? Am I remembering correctly? Or is it the second cocktail of the evening, mixed to jumbo proportions, blurring my memory? But ever since Bunky Henry joined us from the golf team and D. Smelter switched from baseball, I am all onboard with two sport athletes.
I think Shanahan at Denver (it was definitely Denver) gave him a shot at DB. Didn't make it through the first cut.