Returning players for 2021-22

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Is this sarcasm or for real? I am legitimately asking because I'm wondering what on earth you could have seen from Didenko to warrant him getting ANY playing time.
It means we are winning. Big. (I suppose it should also mean we are getting changed big too)

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
In my opinion if everyone returns we have 4 locks to start (Jose, Moses, Mike, Jordan). Otherwise I think we'll have two guys contend for the last starter. Those would be Moore and Coleman. I think we realized later in the year that having more size on the wing for defense beat out the better ball handling and 3 point threat that Bubba gave us. I think both Moore and Coleman could give us that, and who wins probably depends on if Moore can develop his jumper, and how quickly Coleman transitions. I expect Moore to start to begin the year, but I could easily see Coleman winning the job as the season goes on. Otherwise I think both Bubba and Kyle will play minutes off the bench.

Those 8 I'm pretty confident will all play a meaningful amount. I think Rodney/Saba/Meka could earn some playing time if they develop enough to give Moses and Ush a break. I'd say Meka is the least likely as I'm not sure how comfortable we'd be having him as our center next year if Moses had to come out. I doubt more than one of those would play significantly though)

Other than those 9 I doubt we'd see significant time from the rest. Even 9 is probably pushing what Pastner is comfortable with. Honestly, we could have a group of Maxwell, Kelly, J.Moore, Meka, Saba that don't really get in the game that I think very highly of. However, I would not expect to both return all our seniors and devoe but hold on to everyone else. Maybe the prospect of playing time with 6 seniors leaving could entice them all to stay but with the current state of college basketball I wouldn't expect it.
In his interview yesterday Pastner said Meka was the best shot blocker in practice and he would have helped them win games this year if not for being hurt. With another years development, I could see him getting minutes.

and while it’s true that there may not be enough minutes to go around, that’s kind of what the “get old, stay old” model depends on.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
In his interview yesterday Pastner said Meka was the best shot blocker in practice and he would have helped them win games this year if not for being hurt. With another years development, I could see him getting minutes.

and while it’s true that there may not be enough minutes to go around, that’s kind of what the “get old, stay old” model depends on.
Although the transfer portal could be a problem for the “stay old” part.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
In my opinion if everyone returns we have 4 locks to start (Jose, Moses, Mike, Jordan). Otherwise I think we'll have two guys contend for the last starter. Those would be Moore and Coleman. I think we realized later in the year that having more size on the wing for defense beat out the better ball handling and 3 point threat that Bubba gave us. I think both Moore and Coleman could give us that, and who wins probably depends on if Moore can develop his jumper, and how quickly Coleman transitions. I expect Moore to start to begin the year, but I could easily see Coleman winning the job as the season goes on. Otherwise I think both Bubba and Kyle will play minutes off the bench.

Those 8 I'm pretty confident will all play a meaningful amount. I think Rodney/Saba/Meka could earn some playing time if they develop enough to give Moses and Ush a break. I'd say Meka is the least likely as I'm not sure how comfortable we'd be having him as our center next year if Moses had to come out. I doubt more than one of those would play significantly though)

Other than those 9 I doubt we'd see significant time from the rest. Even 9 is probably pushing what Pastner is comfortable with. Honestly, we could have a group of Maxwell, Kelly, J.Moore, Meka, Saba that don't really get in the game that I think very highly of. However, I would not expect to both return all our seniors and devoe but hold on to everyone else. Maybe the prospect of playing time with 6 seniors leaving could entice them all to stay but with the current state of college basketball I wouldn't expect it.
These are all good points. I want to see Moore actually having an improved shot, but his defense is the key reason he is starting. I hope we see Coleman on the floor a lot, but that means Bubba and Kyle might see less time. A lot depends on the how good CJP feels giving Jose and Usher and Devoe more time on the bench. Hopefully we have a lot fewer 40 minutes games played by our starters.

slugboy

Staff member

We can finally go more than 6-7 deep on the rotation. ;)

Last edited:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

I could see it but with no real experience at this level it's hard to project especially since it would be out of position. There is a lot more to defending as a center than being a shot blocker. For instance Moses was an okay shot blocker this year (6th in the conference) but that isn't what really allowed him to defend the 5 when he was undersized. It was more his understanding of timing, positioning, familiarity with our zone covering it to some degree, and familiarity with how his teammates defend allowing him to better predict where he needs to be. Now that doesn't mean he couldn't come in when Usher needs a break, and Pastner has shown a willingess to throw conventional wisdom out the door to decent effect, but With a a short bench I would expect one of Howard/Saba to be the go to guy when Moses has to sit, and possibly when Usher sits (depending on development, we could also slide Khalid down in that case).

The second sentence is true to an extent, but get old stay old is roster building strategy, and almost all roster building ideas are going out the door with the current situation. You can't plan around having 4 seniors being allowed to have a 5th year of eligibility. You will have to adjust on the fly and that will likely mean casualties to the transfer portal and likely going to the portal to try and deal with the fall out (more down the road than this year)

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
On the Pastner comment. He said before his back injury Meka was the best shot blocker and rebounder in practice and would have helped win games. i don't really think he would have played alot as a FR but he probably could have gotten some minutes as a small ball 5 (which is sort of what recruiting analysts saw him as).

As Pastner also mentioned the transfer portal is just one more piece of recruiting these days. The portal doesn't really change your get old, stay old strategy all that much. They have been looking for certain kinds of kids in the portal the last few years. This year is just different because it feels like almost every kid wants to put their name in the portal and coaches also have to figure out what seniors may come back.

After next season SR's coming back likely won't be much of an issue. First, it will be a year removed from COVID so hopefully they will have had a more normal senior season. Second, you will likely have to count them as part of your 13, so fewer schools are likely to have seniors come back.

All 3 of the young bigs remind may in some ways of other GT bigs under Rev. Howard is more the James Banks type. A little mechanical, but also a little bigger, potential good defender and shotblocker. Just ok hands. Gigiberia is the taller Lammers. Not super athletic but potentially very skilled. Good passer and potential shooter out to three. Could be very effective in the high post area. Meka is the cloest to Moses. Super athletic, raw coming in, high energy. Meka has a natural feel for shotblocking with great twitch reflexes. His ceiling really depends upon how much he works hard on improving his offensive skills. Will they all develop in the same sort of ways, I don't know, but those are sort of the blueprints I see for them.

slugboy

Staff member
On the Pastner comment. He said before his back injury Meka was the best shot blocker and rebounder in practice and would have helped win games. i don't really think he would have played alot as a FR but he probably could have gotten some minutes as a small ball 5 (which is sort of what recruiting analysts saw him as).

As Pastner also mentioned the transfer portal is just one more piece of recruiting these days. The portal doesn't really change your get old, stay old strategy all that much. They have been looking for certain kinds of kids in the portal the last few years. This year is just different because it feels like almost every kid wants to put their name in the portal and coaches also have to figure out what seniors may come back.

After next season SR's coming back likely won't be much of an issue. First, it will be a year removed from COVID so hopefully they will have had a more normal senior season. Second, you will likely have to count them as part of your 13, so fewer schools are likely to have seniors come back.

All 3 of the young bigs remind may in some ways of other GT bigs under Rev. Howard is more the James Banks type. A little mechanical, but also a little bigger, potential good defender and shotblocker. Just ok hands. Gigiberia is the taller Lammers. Not super athletic but potentially very skilled. Good passer and potential shooter out to three. Could be very effective in the high post area. Meka is the cloest to Moses. Super athletic, raw coming in, high energy. Meka has a natural feel for shotblocking with great twitch reflexes. His ceiling really depends upon how much he works hard on improving his offensive skills. Will they all develop in the same sort of ways, I don't know, but those are sort of the blueprints I see for them.
I also see the high post role for Saba

It sure seems like Pastner thinks that the seniors wouldn’t be counted in the twelve/thirteen scholarship limits—maybe you mean something else by that than what I’m thinking?

It’s possible that the shut in nature of this season is also filling the portal—players want a fresh start after getting boxed up in their dorm room for classes all season. I think the coaches are a bigger reason though

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I also see the high post role for Saba

It sure seems like Pastner thinks that the seniors wouldn’t be counted in the twelve/thirteen scholarship limits—maybe you mean something else by that than what I’m thinking?

It’s possible that the shut in nature of this season is also filling the portal—players want a fresh start after getting boxed up in their dorm room for classes all season. I think the coaches are a bigger reason though
My comment on next year's sr is that the NCAA has not said they will not count against the scholarship limits if they decide to use that free year and I don't think they will be given that like this year's SR have.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

This year seniors returning to their team don't count against the scholarship limit. Seniors transferring to a new team will count against the scholarship limit of their new school I believe. Nothing has been said about future players using their free year, but the assumption is the not counting against the scholarship is a one time deal. For instance Bubba won't count against the 13 next year, but if Khalid decides to stay a 5th year then he will count against the 13 the year after next.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
My comment on next year's sr is that the NCAA has not said they will not count against the scholarship limits if they decide to use that free year and I don't think they will be given that like this year's SR have.
So, you're saying that Devoe and Moore (juniors this past year, juniors next year) would most likely count against the 13 limit their senior year? That will be tough on coaches and schools and will drive even more kids into the portal, kids that might not need to be in the portal but have no choice. I don't think that is something the NCAA is going to want to face.

It'll be worse if they do it in football. You're not dealing with 1-5 kids in football, you're dealing with potentially 25-30 kids. Massive PR nightmare if they go that route.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Before the NCAA Tournament began, NBADraft.net had Jose going in the 2nd round at #51. He has fallen out of their mock draft as of yesterday. NO Tech players mentioned.

slugboy

Staff member
Before the NCAA Tournament began, NBADraft.net had Jose going in the 2nd round at #51. He has fallen out of their mock draft as of yesterday. NO Tech players mentioned.

Hate it for Jose, Moses, and the rest. They deserve their shot.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Bubba needs to get one on Jose and announce he's wearing #10 next season :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

On another note, GT will have a player named Bubba and a player named Deebo next season. That's like 8 extra wins right there!

And 8 fewer teeth. 😁

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So, you're saying that Devoe and Moore (juniors this past year, juniors next year) would most likely count against the 13 limit their senior year? That will be tough on coaches and schools and will drive even more kids into the portal, kids that might not need to be in the portal but have no choice. I don't think that is something the NCAA is going to want to face.

It'll be worse if they do it in football. You're not dealing with 1-5 kids in football, you're dealing with potentially 25-30 kids. Massive PR nightmare if they go that route.
Yes that is what I am saying. i think most coaches believe not counting against the scholarship limits is a one time thing for this year's sr. Next year you are going to have to make decisions as a coach if a player wants to come back for an extra year as to whether you allow them back or use the scholarship on a FR or transfer.

Most universities aren't exactly clamoring for the 'don't count against scholarship limits'. Remember, the schools still have to pay those scholarships plus all the additional benefits. One study a couple of years ago suggested the average total benefits to a scholarship athlete could be worth up to $100K a year.

The NCAA has created a rule that allows SA's an extra year of eligibility, but it is up to the schools to fund that as well as fit it within the scholarship caps.

slugboy

Staff member
Yes that is what I am saying. i think most coaches believe not counting against the scholarship limits is a one time thing for this year's sr. Next year you are going to have to make decisions as a coach if a player wants to come back for an extra year as to whether you allow them back or use the scholarship on a FR or transfer.

Most universities aren't exactly clamoring for the 'don't count against scholarship limits'. Remember, the schools still have to pay those scholarships plus all the additional benefits. One study a couple of years ago suggested the average total benefits to a scholarship athlete could be worth up to $100K a year.

The NCAA has created a rule that allows SA's an extra year of eligibility, but it is up to the schools to fund that as well as fit it within the scholarship caps.
Not that the NCAA would have done the math, but there’s no way that an extra year of eligibility works with the same scholarship limits. It’s a nonsensical action without a temporary scholarship limit relaxation.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Not sure why all would come back unless they will not be NBA drafted. Then they may either want more education opportunity or they feel they want to go for a national championship. A few may come back but I just don't see all of them staying another year. Bubba is not surprising as he has very little chance of pro ball and more education is probably more important to him now. It will be tough for Moses to stay. Already POY and an ACC championship. Hard to repeat those. I hope Jose, Usher, and Devoe stay but would be surprised if they all come back.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Hate it for Jose, Moses, and the rest. They deserve their shot.
And they can still get there shot. There are plenty of guys in the NBA who did not get drafted. Even if you don't make it in the NBA you can make a nice living playing ball overseas. I think Moses is the least likely to come back. I think he is the type of guy that can do well in workouts and improve his stock the most.
Another factor is if these guys want another year of school. Tech is not the easiest place to go to school.