Returning players for 2021-22

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
The money is not going anywhere. In fact another would most likely accelerate their chances for better contracts whether here or overseas. The opportunity for a national championship they will never have another chance to accomplish if they leave.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not that the NCAA would have done the math, but there’s no way that an extra year of eligibility works with the same scholarship limits. It’s a nonsensical action without a temporary scholarship limit relaxation.
That's why they allowed the one year exception this year. But keep in mind the exception only is allowed if the player stays at the same school.

Fans need to keep in mind that the NCAA is really just the schools themselves and it really can't do anything unless the schools want it to do something. The expectation is that the exception to the scholarship limits is a one year deal.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
And they can still get there shot. There are plenty of guys in the NBA who did not get drafted. Even if you don't make it in the NBA you can make a nice living playing ball overseas. I think Moses is the least likely to come back. I think he is the type of guy that can do well in workouts and improve his stock the most.
Another factor is if these guys want another year of school. Tech is not the easiest place to go to school.

Will be interesting to see how Moses does. NBA power forwards have some INSANE athletic ability. Think Usher type athleticism in Moses's body...even more insane is there are a LOT of NBA PF's that are 6'10+, can shoot and handle the ball like guards, and are super athletic.

I was watching Michael Porter play for the Nuggets the other day. Porter has a better shot from outside (shoots over 40% from 3), but I think Moses has bit of a step on Porter in terms of quickness. Similar ball handling ability, and their game and movement around the rim is very similar. Porter benefits from playing with probably the best all around center in the NBA right now (Jokic) which means he gets some open dump offs on Jokic double teams and open put backs. At the end of the day, it's all about fit and what a team is looking for. Mario West was a walk on here, and was a key reserve who didn't have nearly the talent of this teammates, but he was able to play for the NBA for multiple years because he found his role and did what the team asked of him. Talent-wise, Moses can definitely play in the NBA...just a matter of which team thinks he can add value for them.

slugboy

Staff member
NBA guards and wings are just insanely talented. Trae Young effortlessly hit a “goofing off” three pointer while sitting down at the scorer’s table.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
NBA guards and wings are just insanely talented. Trae Young effortlessly hit a “goofing off” three pointer while sitting down at the scorer’s table.

We played against Duke with Cassius Stanley last season. There was only one guy on our team that had the level of athleticism and explosiveness that Stanley had that game...Jordan Usher. We were struggling to guard him all game. Stanley was a 2nd round pick in the NBA and is struggling to see minutes this year.

I know some of our fans hate watching the NBA for various reasons, but if a fanbase wants to truly judge how good a player is, watch some NBA games. The skill level in the NBA is the best in the world. That's the thing, it's now a global game, so college players aren't competing against just other college players for NBA spots, they're competing against players around the world.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
IMO people really underestimate how athletic Moses is.

I was just thinking this.. I know the NBA has got some of the world's most athletically blessed players, but Moses is no slouch. He has got a legit shot to make a team (which is all you ask for in the draft). Maybe he doesn't become a Jordan, Lebron or Kobe, but there are lots of dudes who are measure similarly to Moses playing right now.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
Will be interesting to see how Moses does. NBA power forwards have some INSANE athletic ability. Think Usher type athleticism in Moses's body...even more insane is there are a LOT of NBA PF's that are 6'10+, can shoot and handle the ball like guards, and are super athletic.

I was watching Michael Porter play for the Nuggets the other day. Porter has a better shot from outside (shoots over 40% from 3), but I think Moses has bit of a step on Porter in terms of quickness. Similar ball handling ability, and their game and movement around the rim is very similar. Porter benefits from playing with probably the best all around center in the NBA right now (Jokic) which means he gets some open dump offs on Jokic double teams and open put backs. At the end of the day, it's all about fit and what a team is looking for. Mario West was a walk on here, and was a key reserve who didn't have nearly the talent of this teammates, but he was able to play for the NBA for multiple years because he found his role and did what the team asked of him. Talent-wise, Moses can definitely play in the NBA...just a matter of which team thinks he can add value for them.
Michael Porter Jr. and Moses may be similar in stature but their games are vastly different. Porter Jr. is a guy who was a major recruit and prospect mainly because of what he could do as a iso player and the fact that he was very good outside shooter particularly at his size. Porter is a small forward who at his size can play some 4 Moses is strictly a power forward who may at some point be a small ball center in the league depending on his development.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I think he’ll come back.

As do I. It’s been stated he’s not interested in the G League she Europe isn’t much of an option this year. He’s doing exactly as he should. Get feedback, work his *** off this summer and put up numbers next year.
With that said, I’d say unless he kills it in a workout age secures a pick, he will be back. I’m starting to get the feeling everyone will be back. I’m 50/50 on Moses tho.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
As do I. It’s been stated he’s not interested in the G League she Europe isn’t much of an option this year. He’s doing exactly as he should. Get feedback, work his *** off this summer and put up numbers next year.
With that said, I’d say unless he kills it in a workout age secures a pick, he will be back. I’m starting to get the feeling everyone will be back. I’m 50/50 on Moses tho.
What could this potentially mean for our bench? We could have a very good second five sitting there. The question is, do you guys think Pastner plays a bigger bench next year if guys come back or do you think he sticks with his similar rotation?

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
What could this potentially mean for our bench? We could have a very good second five sitting there. The question is, do you guys think Pastner plays a bigger bench next year if guys come back or do you think he sticks with his similar rotation?
Maybe a couple more guys get some run but I think it’s just his style to play a short bench. Maybe OOC we go 10 deep but ACC play I’d say 7/8 tops. I’m sure if everyone comes back you could see a guy like Maxwell bolt.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I doubt we go more than 7-8 deep, that is basically what Pastner is comfortable with. Let's wait and see who comes back before we worry about how many play.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

IMO we'll likely see at least Coleman added to the regular rotation. IMO he's too good of a combination of size/length and shooting ability that we lacked last year to not get it at the 3 spot. I doubt we'd go much deeper than those 8 against the harder teams, although we could potentially see more consistent use of a back up big in smaller amounts than we saw this year. It's really hard to consistently go much deeper than 8.

The big opportunity to go deeper is against weaker teams. If everyone returns and we get some solid improvement, we should be able to more consistently build solid leads against weaker teams. Do that and combined with a more solid bench we would probably feel more comfortable in those situations going to the bench earlier.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe a couple more guys get some run but I think it’s just his style to play a short bench. Maybe OOC we go 10 deep but ACC play I’d say 7/8 tops. I’m sure if everyone comes back you could see a guy like Maxwell bolt.
For the model to work, you need guys like him to stick around. You are then playing Maxwell and Saba as RS SO - potentially for three more years — and you reload with a mix of players that are too good to sit as FR plus several that are in it for the long haul.