Returning players for 2021-22

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I think some are underestimating the role Bubba is going to play for us this season. In his 3rd season in the ACC and without Jose, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him average 8 points a game this year and play over Sturdivant depending on who’s got the hot hand. I could be way off base here, but I just don’t see Pastner playing him less than 15-20 minutes a game at worst.

He averaged 27 min a game over 2 years on a team with Jose Alvarado playing PG. I don’t think he’d come back to college if he didn’t expect to play big minutes on a team that lost Alvarado and added a freshman transfer PG.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Bubba is an effective player against smaller guards but got overpowered against big guards like we saw at Duke and Louisville. They went over him and through him.

But overall I agree that he plays. He was a big reason why the turnovers went down so much last season, He had a steadying effect on the team on the offensive end, plays really hard and makes winning plays off the stat sheet. I also think that he has the capability of scoring more than he has.

In addition, I think Pastner trusts his upper classmen, the guys who have made plays for him in the past.

On the other hand, the back court is studded with high level athletes who have a ton of upside. It is hard to see them sit. And Bubba is a Daddy. He may have come back, principally, to finish his degree and help the team in any way he can rather than with the expectation to take Alvarado's minutes.

I think it is more likely that Parham is a situational substitution where he plays a lot in some games and doesn't play at all in others. I don't predict that Sturdivant sits behind him, but that is just a supposition.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I think some are underestimating the role Bubba is going to play for us this season. In his 3rd season in the ACC and without Jose, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him average 8 points a game this year and play over Sturdivant depending on who’s got the hot hand. I could be way off base here, but I just don’t see Pastner playing him less than 15-20 minutes a game at worst.

He averaged 27 min a game over 2 years on a team with Jose Alvarado playing PG. I don’t think he’d come back to college if he didn’t expect to play big minutes on a team that lost Alvarado and added a freshman transfer PG.

I could see it but I think his minutes will be cut into more by a lack of time, relative to the last years, of playing alongside two other guards. The last two years he saw the floor quite a bit alongside Jose and Mike because we often didn't have great choices at the 3 spot. With Moore being a senior, Deebo coming in, and the potential for Meka to at times push Ush back to the 3 spot, I think Bubba will be more limited to strictly the one or two spot. And despite his size, imo his skill set is closer to Mike's as a combo guard and complimentary ball handler while Kyle and Deivon are more primary ones.

I certainly think he'll play but I expect it to be a bit more situational than it has been at times, unless we go with Mike as our primary ball handler for whatever reason.