Returning players for 2021-22

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
Bubba coming back for sure is nice. It means we will have at least 2 PGs on roster next year regardless, unless Kyle hits the portal which I see no reason why he would. And if the others don't return it might force him into a position where he has to score more which might be more comfortable to him and could lead to him being closer to the scorer he was prior to his time here. I'm a bit surprised he isn't at least getting feedback as well.

The rest getting NBA feedback makes sense. Just free feedback from experts who know what the NBA, and pro ball in general is looking for. IMO the biggest question at the moment is if Moses gets feedback that is good and stays in the draft, would Ush and Jose return, or take their feedback and go overseas?
This is simply my opinion, but I think Usher comes back because he has the most to gain by doing so. He has the size and athleticism the NBA looks for. If he can develop his shot and handles a little more I think he has a shot to play in the league.

The growth he showed from last year to this year was phenomenal. If he can take another couple steps forward then he will be really really good.

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow
Bubba coming back for sure is nice. It means we will have at least 2 PGs on roster next year regardless, unless Kyle hits the portal which I see no reason why he would.
How does this work? I thought you could only use the portal once. Didn't he use it to get to GT from USC?

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow
My understanding - and I could be totally wrong here - is that you can only use the portal once. If you use it you don't have to sit out a year. So, if Kyle wanted to transfer from Tech, he would have to sit out a year. Seems like that would give him more incentive to stay

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
The portal is simply the new mechanism for transfering. There are no limitations on the number of times you can transfer. There are generally limitations on ability to play after a transfer unless you get a waiver. Right now there is an expectation of a universal waiver for playing time so everyone has a free transfer opportunity. If Jose in particular decides to come back I would be curious to see if Kyle is happier being close to home or happier not playing behind Jose again.

On the other side there are projected to be up to 2K players in the portal this year so being able to find a new home for a middle level player is not guaranteed by any stretch.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
My understanding - and I could be totally wrong here - is that you can only use the portal once. If you use it you don't have to sit out a year. So, if Kyle wanted to transfer from Tech, he would have to sit out a year. Seems like that would give him more incentive to stay

Plus, I think Kyle wants to be closer to home & he should get more playing time next year.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You can transfer multiple times but the new rules are going to be you can transfer for 'free' (no sit out period) one time and then after that if you transfer you have to sit for a year before becoming eligible.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Devoe isn't even a top 75 prospect this year. Would be a terrible decision. Alvy, Devoe need to return. Alvy might as well enjoy basketball while he can because the NBA is probably a pipe dream, same for Devoe unless Devoe can consistently score 24 a night.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
I think these guys still have something to proof after losing the first game in the tournament without Moses. Maybe Moses gets favorable news to declare but all would greatly benefit in many ways with a national championship run next year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Bubba, IMO, changed his game when he transferred in. He was more of a scorer at his previous stop, and became a "fill in" type player for the areas our team needed when he was on the court. He definitely deferred to Jose and Devoe. I think if Bubba is the only returning SR, Pastner most likely will give him more freedom to be the player he was at VMI. GT will need Bubba to be that person if he's the only one returning. He's shown glimpses that he can create points at certain times.

ALL players should explore their NBA options and get feedback. That's free advice one what you need to work on from the NBA. I'm glad Devoe has silenced some of us about his plans for GT. He's all GT...unless that 1st round comes calling. Wouldn't blame him then.

Now we wait for the other 3...

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Devoe had legitimate nba interest after the 2019 season. He would be drafted this year if he didn’t start off inconsistent and struggling. He finally picked it up in the last 1-2 months. Once he hears what he needs to improve on then he will come back and be even better. Smart move by devoe to get feedback.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Need to really focus on shooting in the offseason if these guys want to play in the NBA. Moses, Devoe, and Usher are NBA guys if they have a consistent jump shot and decent 3 point percentage. Should help others on the team too. I trust Pastner to address this in the offseason. 'Finishing School' did wonders to the missed layup game of the past. Maybe we could pull in a former GT player who has been a shooting coach in the NBA as a consultant...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The portal is simply the new mechanism for transfering. There are no limitations on the number of times you can transfer. There are generally limitations on ability to play after a transfer unless you get a waiver. Right now there is an expectation of a universal waiver for playing time so everyone has a free transfer opportunity. If Jose in particular decides to come back I would be curious to see if Kyle is happier being close to home or happier not playing behind Jose again.

On the other side there are projected to be up to 2K players in the portal this year so being able to find a new home for a middle level player is not guaranteed by any stretch.

One thing to keep in mind about Kyle is he's an aerospace engineer :oops: which most likely means he's at GT for the academics as much as he is for basketball. Given GT's top 5 AE program, I think Kyle would have to change majors or find another school with an equivalent AE program. Stanford, Michigan, Purdue, TX A&M, Illinois are the other P5 schools with a top 10 AE program. Kyle moved home to be close to an ailing relative as well. If anything, Kyle would probably stick around until he graduates and become a grad transfer if he has any eligibility left.