Returning players for 2021-22

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
One thing to keep in mind about Kyle is he's an aerospace engineer :oops: which most likely means he's at GT for the academics as much as he is for basketball. Given GT's top 5 AE program, I think Kyle would have to change majors or find another school with an equivalent AE program. Stanford, Michigan, Purdue, TX A&M, Illinois are the other P5 schools with a top 10 AE program. Kyle moved home to be close to an ailing relative as well. If anything, Kyle would probably stick around until he graduates and become a grad transfer if he has any eligibility left.
If I were in Kyle’s shoes, I’d go all-in on the AE degree from Tech.

Then again, I’m the kind of space-nerd who—for fun—spends my Saturday mornings playing Kerbal Space Program on my computer, designing interplanetary spacecraft with rotating gravity sections, and working out Hohmann transfer orbits to get the craft from KSP ”Earth” to KSP “Mars”.

https://xkcd.com/2204/

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If I were in Kyle’s shoes, I’d go all-in on the AE degree from Tech.

Then again, I’m the kind of space-nerd who—for fun—spends my Saturday mornings playing Kerbal Space Program on my computer, designing interplanetary spacecraft with rotating gravity sections, and working out Hohmann transfer orbits to get the craft from KSP ”Earth” to KSP “Mars”.

https://xkcd.com/2204/

tenor.gif

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
If they were to ask for my advice, I would tell Jose and Moses that it is time to take the next step. They’ve cemented their place in GT history and the downside potential of staying is something to be considered. I would hate for next year to be anything less than this year for either of them. I’m glad Bubba is staying and I’d be overjoyed if Jordan stayed because he could be next year’s star. His rising leadership has made a huge impact this year and I don’t see a downside for him if he chooses to stay another year.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
For my post I am assuming all four seniors, plus Devoe, return for the 2021 season. Our roster will look like this:

All 12 players from this year's team:
Alvarado
Devoe
Usher
Wright
Parham
Sturdivant
Khalid Moore
Saba
Howard
Maxwell
Meka
Didenko

Three incoming freshmen:
Kelly
Coleman
Jalon Moore

If we take a transfer (Kessler, for instance) that can help at the five, minutes are going to be hard for some of these guys. A healthy Maxwell, and maybe Meka, will want and deserve minutes. Coleman and Kelly look like they might compete for minutes. (I am hoping Didenko gets a lot of minutes next year.) Someone is likely going get a RS season.

seedjckt

Georgia Tech Fan
For my post I am assuming all four seniors, plus Devoe, return for the 2021 season. Our roster will look like this:

Alvarado
Devoe
Usher
Wright
Parham
Sturdivant
Khalid Moore
Saba
Howard
Maxwell
Meka
Didenko

Three incoming freshmen:
Kelly
Coleman
Jalon Moore

If we take a transfer (Kessler, for instance) that can help at the five, minutes are going to be hard for some of these guys. A healthy Maxwell, and maybe Meka, will want and deserve minutes. Coleman and Kelly look like they might compete for minutes. (I am hoping Didenko gets a lot of minutes next year.) Someone is likely going get a RS season.
That would be my dream team.
At a minimum, Tech needs one of Usher or Wright to return to be a top 25 pre-season!
Top 25 means ESPN coverage for all your games, leading to more highly ranked recruit's interest in GT!!

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer

Alvarado
Devoe
Usher
Wright
Parham
Sturdivant
Khalid Moore
Saba
Howard
Maxwell
Meka
Didenko

Three incoming freshmen:
Kelly
Coleman
Jalon Moore

That’s a top 10 borderline top 5 team right there and probably the favorite to win the ACC. Even If Moses goes and everything else stays, we’re a top 15-20 range and top in the ACC.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
In my opinion if everyone returns we have 4 locks to start (Jose, Moses, Mike, Jordan). Otherwise I think we'll have two guys contend for the last starter. Those would be Moore and Coleman. I think we realized later in the year that having more size on the wing for defense beat out the better ball handling and 3 point threat that Bubba gave us. I think both Moore and Coleman could give us that, and who wins probably depends on if Moore can develop his jumper, and how quickly Coleman transitions. I expect Moore to start to begin the year, but I could easily see Coleman winning the job as the season goes on. Otherwise I think both Bubba and Kyle will play minutes off the bench.

Those 8 I'm pretty confident will all play a meaningful amount. I think Rodney/Saba/Meka could earn some playing time if they develop enough to give Moses and Ush a break. I'd say Meka is the least likely as I'm not sure how comfortable we'd be having him as our center next year if Moses had to come out. I doubt more than one of those would play significantly though)

Other than those 9 I doubt we'd see significant time from the rest. Even 9 is probably pushing what Pastner is comfortable with. Honestly, we could have a group of Maxwell, Kelly, J.Moore, Meka, Saba that don't really get in the game that I think very highly of. However, I would not expect to both return all our seniors and devoe but hold on to everyone else. Maybe the prospect of playing time with 6 seniors leaving could entice them all to stay but with the current state of college basketball I wouldn't expect it.

seedjckt

Georgia Tech Fan
In my opinion if everyone returns we have 4 locks to start (Jose, Moses, Mike, Jordan). Otherwise I think we'll have two guys contend for the last starter. Those would be Moore and Coleman. I think we realized later in the year that having more size on the wing for defense beat out the better ball handling and 3 point threat that Bubba gave us. I think both Moore and Coleman could give us that, and who wins probably depends on if Moore can develop his jumper, and how quickly Coleman transitions. I expect Moore to start to begin the year, but I could easily see Coleman winning the job as the season goes on. Otherwise I think both Bubba and Kyle will play minutes off the bench.

Those 8 I'm pretty confident will all play a meaningful amount. I think Rodney/Saba/Meka could earn some playing time if they develop enough to give Moses and Ush a break. I'd say Meka is the least likely as I'm not sure how comfortable we'd be having him as our center next year if Moses had to come out. I doubt more than one of those would play significantly though)

Other than those 9 I doubt we'd see significant time from the rest. Even 9 is probably pushing what Pastner is comfortable with. Honestly, we could have a group of Maxwell, Kelly, J.Moore, Meka, Saba that don't really get in the game that I think very highly of. However, I would not expect to both return all our seniors and devoe but hold on to everyone else. Maybe the prospect of playing time with 6 seniors leaving could entice them all to stay but with the current state of college basketball I wouldn't expect it.
I agree with more size wing with Jordan & Moses possible NBA future position; I think Rodney would be the 5 starter at the center position.
In the NBA, I see; Jordan (SG or SF) and Moses (SF or PF), a year playing those positions in college should increase their draft chances.