Returning players for 2021-22

slugboy

Staff member
... Pay in college is a lot less.. well for most.. 😉

If drafted a sent to G league, the pay is probably $100k+.

If an UDFA and sent, still probably more than base salary.
I posted earlier that base NBA pay is around $900k, so if you’re drafted and sent to work a few things out, you’re making great money. You just don’t want to be down there for long.
Pro salary schedules are probably an arcane art, though

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I posted earlier that base NBA pay is around $900k, so if you’re drafted and sent to work a few things out, you’re making great money. You just don’t want to be down there for long.
Pro salary schedules are probably an arcane art, though
The NBA has established 2 way contracts to cover guys going up and down. Second round guys likely fit those agreements. Don't remember the exact numbers but the minimum is a lot higher than 35

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
It’s interesting because if you analyzed the various potential scenarios in which the season could’ve ended, the scenario in which it actually ended seems to lend itself to the seniors wanting another shot at it more than any other scenario.

If we didn’t win the ACC but made a Sweet 16 run they’d be gone. If we didn’t make the NCAAT they’d be gone. If we won the ACC and made a Sweet 16 run they’d be gone. But, winning the ACC and losing in the first game of the NCAAT, especially with the Moses thing, is the most likely scenario (out of numerous scenarios) that would lead to them coming back for a revenge mission. Obviously just my opinion, not in anyone’s head.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
It’s interesting because if you analyzed the various potential scenarios in which the season could’ve ended, the scenario in which it actually ended seems to lend itself to the seniors wanting another shot at it more than any other scenario.

If we didn’t win the ACC but made a Sweet 16 run they’d be gone. If we didn’t make the NCAAT they’d be gone. If we won the ACC and made a Sweet 16 run they’d be gone. But, winning the ACC and losing in the first game of the NCAAT, especially with the Moses thing, is the most likely scenario (out of numerous scenarios) that would lead to them coming back for a revenge mission. Obviously just my opinion, not in anyone’s head.
That’s kinda my thinking as well. The whole Moses issue and the let down of losing in the 1st rd after all the buzz about ACCPOTY and DPOTY and winning the conference championship must be weighing heavy on them. If I were them I’d be pissed and ready to run it back.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

What you say makes sense, but excludes the thought of what's in the best interest of each individual.

If you're going to provide objective advice to Moses in his best interest, it'd be to send him off to the pros.

That might actually be what's best long term for GT hoops as well, given Pastners zero star recruit to ACC POTY narrative. More tangible NBA prospects to sell to recruits.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
What you say makes sense, but excludes the thought of what's in the best interest of each individual.
I agree, was thinking about it from the perspective of what Usher said in the AJC about it being an all of nothing type deal.

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned about Moses on here is he still needs to get stronger. He’s developed his body a great deal since he’s been here, but he’s not there yet. Obviously he’d get stronger as a professional, but he’d be a better prospect (and therefore receive a more lucrative contract) if he was stronger before becoming a pro.

That’s one thing I don’t understand, and not talking about you specifically. But posters on here often say, “He can learn XYZ skills better in the pros without being in school.” Yeah, obviously. But a prospect’s ultimate goal isn’t to learn XYZ skills. Their ultimate goal is to maximize their earning potential. Receiving a 2 year contract worth $150k in 2021 is not better than receiving a 2 year contract in 2022 worth $300k. If a prospect thinks he can add value to his earning potential by developing his skills in college prior to his first professional contract, that’s what most of the prospects will do.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree, was thinking about it from the perspective of what Usher said in the AJC about it being an all of nothing type deal.

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned about Moses on here is he still needs to get stronger. He’s developed his body a great deal since he’s been here, but he’s not there yet. Obviously he’d get stronger as a professional, but he’d be a better prospect (and therefore receive a more lucrative contract) if he was stronger before becoming a pro.

That’s one thing I don’t understand, and not talking about you specifically. But posters on here often say, “He can learn XYZ skills better in the pros without being in school.” Yeah, obviously. But a prospect’s ultimate goal isn’t to learn XYZ skills. Their ultimate goal is to maximize their earning potential. Receiving a 2 year contract worth $150k in 2021 is not better than receiving a 2 year contract in 2022 worth $300k. If a prospect thinks he can add value to his earning potential by developing his skills in college prior to his first professional contract, that’s what most of the prospects will do.

He's likely getting a pretty standard contract, so not sure it works that way.

He'd be developing while getting paid, so it's more than developing better in the pros. Let's not leave out the money.

What about the risk of injury or underperforming relative to this year and missing his opportunity entirely? There's something I haven't seen many mention.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What about the risk of injury or underperforming relative to this year and missing his opportunity entirely? There's something I haven't seen many mention.
This is the biggest potential negative for staying at GT for another year.

I think the risk of underperforming is much less if they stick to the all or nothing pledge. Actually, I hope he doesn't have to average 17 ppg in 2022 in order to show he has improved over 2021. Or play 40 mpg.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
IMO people overvalue the $ side of things and undervalue the "making the nba" side of things. How often do you hear about players potentially leaving early to go chase the money in Europe or China? It happens, but it's rare, and the general "neutral" state is to assume that unless someone is drafted in the NBA draft they will play out their eligibility. IMO that's partially due to NBA money, but more so because for most, playing in the NBA is probably a dream, while playing for FC Barcelona is a job. Obviously this year is different because people probably have graduated and mentally prepared for this year to be the last year and all that, but I think the prospect of coming back to try and make an NCAAT run is far more appealing when put up against going overseas or a G league chance than when it is compared to being drafted and likely making the NBA.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I have no idea if any of them will come back...but if just two of them came back, we would be set up for another excellent season. In order of importance (in my opinion, of course): 1. Moses, 2. Jose, 3. Usher, 4. Bubba.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
IMO people overvalue the $ side of things and undervalue the "making the nba" side of things. How often do you hear about players potentially leaving early to go chase the money in Europe or China? It happens, but it's rare, and the general "neutral" state is to assume that unless someone is drafted in the NBA draft they will play out their eligibility. IMO that's partially due to NBA money, but more so because for most, playing in the NBA is probably a dream, while playing for FC Barcelona is a job. Obviously this year is different because people probably have graduated and mentally prepared for this year to be the last year and all that, but I think the prospect of coming back to try and make an NCAAT run is far more appealing when put up against going overseas or a G league chance than when it is compared to being drafted and likely making the NBA.
I think I agree with this. It is hard for me to think a 23 y/o college grad is going to look forward to playing in the G league with almost no fan interest and no media coverage. All the while having nothing more than hope that things will improve. And, unless he is drafted and gets a two-way contract, playing for very little money. (Yes, I consider $35K for five months of hard work to be "very little").

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

... Bird in the hand...

For everyone that doesn't take it, how many end up with nothing vs. making a big jump?

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
He's likely getting a pretty standard contract, so not sure it works that way.

He'd be developing while getting paid, so it's more than developing better in the pros. Let's not leave out the money.

Remember reading somewhere that GT used to have special insurance policies for certain players who had a good shot at the pros to cover them in case they suffered an injury in college that kept them from playing in the pros. Do colleges still do that?

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Even if Moses doesn’t get drafted, he will most certainly be picked up as a UDFA and can show out in the summer league and pre season

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
This is the biggest potential negative for staying at GT for another year.

I think the risk of underperforming is much less if they stick to the all or nothing pledge. Actually, I hope he doesn't have to average 17 ppg in 2022 in order to show he has improved over 2021. Or play 40 mpg.
Cant the injury issue be mitigated with insurance policies? I thought this happens with some regularity for good players who return for another year?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
One thing the players have to consider is that next year's draft pool is going to be expanded the seniors who come back to play another year. There's going to be more competition.

On the flip side, Moses, Ush, and Jose would in all probability be better players with another year under their belts. I hope whatever decision they make, it all works out for them. They could take out some insurance against the possibility of injury.

The one player who I think it would most probably be in his best interest to come back is Bubba. One more year and he might blossom into a pro prospect, and he could add to his education in the meantime, even if that didn't pan out.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
One thing the players have to consider is that next year's draft pool is going to be expanded the seniors who come back to play another year. There's going to be more competition.

On the flip side, Moses, Ush, and Jose would in all probability be better players with another year under their belts. I hope whatever decision they make, it all works out for them. They could take out some insurance against the possibility of injury.

The one player who I think it would most probably be in his best interest to come back is Bubba. One more year and he might blossom into a pro prospect, and he could add to his education in the meantime, even if that didn't pan out.
But there’s the real chance Bubba falls down the depth chart behind some of the newcomers

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
But there’s the real chance Bubba falls down the depth chart behind some of the newcomers
Of course there is, but the chance is also there of him rising. And, basketball-wise, he's not a pro prospect now, so what does he have to lose? It's like an extra, free roll of the dice with something to gain and nothing to lose.
Also gets another year of free education.

Last edited: